Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil swap yields 9.25 HP and 18.6 TQ

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
yeah thats what i was thinking. typically LS autos do 290-310 correct?
yeah mine did 299 hp and 314 tq, those are very low numbers
Old 05-12-2009, 11:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yay go MBM!!! Get some headers/exhaust quick tho dude!! U are runnin MSD's NGK's right???
Old 05-12-2009, 11:49 PM
Launching!

mine started at 292/294 and i have the same year/trans hell color even - I got dynoed at 136k and now have 142 on the ticker clicken off 13.3s on the stock stall in 3000ft altitude. That car needs a real good Seafoam treatment/filter changes, and couple of bolt ons fast.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:52 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

"Yay go MBM!!! Get some headers/exhaust quick tho dude!! U are runnin MSD's NGK's right???"

HUH? Ummm, oooo-ok...

K-frame, headers, Y-pipe and cat back will all be done at one time. Lots of money needed for all that so I don't think it'll be this year.

I have a busy work week on the books this week so I'll have pics up probably by the weekend.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:08 AM
Launching!

[QUOTE=Paul Bell;11589253]HUH? Ummm, oooo-ok...

QUOTE]

MBM - medium blue metallic - maybe u dont know how rare our color is on LS1s? Or was it the NGK/MSD thing? I just assumed since u took all the trouble to fab up a set of truck coils that ud get crazy and spend the $75 bucks for a set of MSD wires and new set of NGK TR55 plugs. Just somethin id do to get the most out of my effort but what do i know.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
I've been waiting for this question.

The LS1 coil brackets will not mount the truck coils.

The LS1 coil wiring harnesses will NOT work as the plugs and pin-outs on the coil end is different. The coil harness to engine harness plug is the same and the new harness will plug in directly.

The truck coil brackets are 10457736, 2 needed.
The LS2 wiring harnesses are 12601824, 2 needed.
The coils are 10457730 (AC D585), 8 needed.

GM/Chevy trucks had several different coils and brackets so be careful. These coils are the ones with the heat sink on the backside. Brackets from other coils will not fit.

On the the LS1 F-body cars, the A.I.R. piping will be in the way. On the passenger side, the fuel line and solonoid will be in the way. A little fanageling will be needed to get it in.

I had a set of LS7 spark plug wires laying around and they fit & look nicely.
Will this setup work with perimeter heads?
Old 05-13-2009, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have that color too! Nice choice.

Interesting thread, too.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:42 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

I am running the NGK TR55 plugs.

Yep, I know the color is kinda rare, a 1999 color only. My Monty is a similar color. I like blue, see?

I'm looking at a picture in a book of the 97-98 valve covers next to 99 and later covers and it looks that the coil bracket mounting bosses are different. I don't think the 6.0 big coil bracket will be a direct bolt-on. From what I've read, all LS valve covers are the same other than the first years with the perimeter bolts.

I didn't have to do any fabricating for this. The 6.0 coil bracket has a extra thingie sticking off it for some other accessory. I cut it off.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Interesting read.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by raymond mckinney
That has to be the lowest dyno numbers i have ever seen from a Ls1 period!
dyno numbers dont mean ****, his car is just as fast as any other ls1 with 155K miles
Old 05-13-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Regular

No, you cant mount these on the perimeter bolt covers.

You should not use ls1 wires with these either, they are VERY tight. Heres a picture of my lm7 with the truck coils before it went in the car this past winter. You can see how much higher they sit on the covers, thus the problems of mounting them.

Attached is a picture of what they look like in the car. Youd never know you werent looking at an ls1 would you?
Attached Thumbnails Coil swap yields 9.25 HP and 18.6 TQ-untitled1.jpg  
Old 05-13-2009, 03:30 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Nice looking setup Sman, tell us more!

OK guys, my boss gave sent me home early. Man I hate the bastard, what an ***! OH WAIT, it’s my company, I GAVE myself the afternoon off.

Here’s the pics.

The LS2 truck bracket mounting holes line up with the LS1 bracket mounting holes and will bolt right to the valve cover. HOWEVER, looking at my comparison pic, using the original holes will angle the right side towards the intake manifold. I don’t think this will be any good for our cars.

I’m gonna spend a few hours this weekend with the valve covers off and do whatever fabbing it might take to get it looking and mounted right I’ll have pics of whatever I come up with. I may also trim the brackets a bit as the mounting bolts towards the cowl is such a bitch to get to.
Before anybody asks, each coil plug has one unique colored wire. When assembling the harness on the bracket, make sure this color matches the original that’s being removed.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the harness that is on the LS1 will not just plug into the truck coil packs? That is why we need the LS2 harness adapter or what ever it is?

And again you said the the truck coil bracket will bolt onto the ls1 valve covers?
Old 05-13-2009, 03:59 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

The plugs on the LS2 coils do not match the plugs on the LS1 coils. There is no adapter. It's a different harness. The big plug in the center that goes to the engine harness is the same.

I suppose you could change the coil plugs on the LS1 harnesses just make sure you get the pin-outs correct as they are different also.

From my reading of various books and articles on the LS series engines, all center bolt valve covers are the same. It was easier & cheaper for GM to design a new stamped steel bracket for the different coils used than to make a different cast valve cover.

It looks like the 97-98 coils mounted directly to the valve covers without a steel bracket.

I'll be having a good hard look at how these brackets mount up and fit in the F-body cars in a few days. I'm even considering drilling the valve covers and stud mounting the coils directly without the brackets at all. Time will tell and I'll post the results and pics here.

Last edited by Paul Bell; 05-13-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

ahhh gotch ya. You need a complete wiring harness.. Makes sense now.

I am really thinking of doing this since you got that much power from it. But man i do not want to spend $500 for coil packs The bracket and harness is cheap but man the CP are not

Where did you get your cp from?
Old 05-13-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Regular

If you have center bolt covers, these will work. You will need the coresponding bracket for these coils. You will also need the coil harness, the white plug on the engine harness is the same but the connectors on the coils and the wiring is different. Most who seem to sell these seem to sell with the harness/bracket/coils.

There is NO modification needed to the covers! These bolt right up.

The inlet on the fuel rail needs to be bent only slightly, I stuck a socket on it for better grip, and it has to move up and back. This took a good amount of effort, but only 2 minutes to do, tops. After this you can get the coils on the cover, get some truck plug wires(a smidgen longer), re attach your fuel line and hit the road.

My car doesnt have AIR so I cant help anyone there, but I cant imagine it'd be difficult.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sman
If you have center bolt covers, these will work. You will need the coresponding bracket for these coils. You will also need the coil harness, the white plug on the engine harness is the same but the connectors on the coils and the wiring is different. Most who seem to sell these seem to sell with the harness/bracket/coils.

There is NO modification needed to the covers! These bolt right up.

The inlet on the fuel rail needs to be bent only slightly, I stuck a socket on it for better grip, and it has to move up and back. This took a good amount of effort, but only 2 minutes to do, tops. After this you can get the coils on the cover, get some truck plug wires(a smidgen longer), re attach your fuel line and hit the road.

My car doesnt have AIR so I cant help anyone there, but I cant imagine it'd be difficult.
Good info there thanks.

Were did you get all stuff from? And why did you upgrade to truck coils over the ls1 coils?
Old 05-13-2009, 04:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

ask any salvage yard and they will likely have them

I had an extra set of truck coils/brackets/harnesses but one has a bad harness so I bought a whole rail from a salvage yard for $40

honestly though I have my doubts the swap would be good for a gain if your stock stuff is in good shape, I'd like to see someone else test it out
Old 05-13-2009, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
ask any salvage yard and they will likely have them

I had an extra set of truck coils/brackets/harnesses but one has a bad harness so I bought a whole rail from a salvage yard for $40

honestly though I have my doubts the swap would be good for a gain if your stock stuff is in good shape, I'd like to see someone else test it out
My stuff is all in good workign order, but if i can some power off of it why not then, right?

Now the OP was saying that there are 2 differnt types of Coil Packs. Is that true which ones do i want?

How much you selling everything for minus the one harness?
Old 05-13-2009, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

There are 3 kinds:
LS1 coils
LS2 coils
and LS2/truck coils (these have a visible heat sink).

The last ones are the ones you want, along with the brackets and harness.

Quick Reply: Coil swap yields 9.25 HP and 18.6 TQ