Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible blown headgasket?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible blown headgasket?

After reading another post on here about white smoke coming out of the tailpipes after he got on it, I realized I am having the same problem. I noticed the other day after taking the car out that I had white smoke coming out of the tailpipes after getting on it. However, when I have driven the car the past day or so, no smoke has been coming out, but I also havn't got on it either, just drove the car to work.

I ran it with the cutout open and didn't notice smoke, but when I capped the cutout and ran it through the stock catback, I noticed white smoke coming out of the tailpipes. I checked the oil, and it doesn't have any noticiable oil leak, nor has there been any leaking fluids under the car where I have it parked.

One thing to note is that the previous owner only ran the car with the cutout open, as the car doesn't have an e-cutout, and me capping the cutout was the first time it has been done. Not sure if that would make a difference.

Does it seem like I am dealing with a headgasket and are there any types of tests I can do to find out? The car was still pulling like a raped ape and its not throwing any codes. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

White smoke is usually coolant. Make sure your not low. Also if its a real bad head gasket you should see bubbles or smell fumes coming out of the radiator overflow cap when off. I would also think you would start to have an overheating problem. How many miles on the car? Might just be rich
Old 05-28-2009, 11:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I really can't say either way, but I know some in-your-face indicators of a head gasket issue try changing your oil. If there is ANY fluid in your oil, there you go. Also, run your AC, if you have a blown head gasket, it typically smells like fish or mold.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-29-2009, 12:50 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by justout4u
White smoke is usually coolant. Make sure your not low. Also if its a real bad head gasket you should see bubbles or smell fumes coming out of the radiator overflow cap when off. I would also think you would start to have an overheating problem. How many miles on the car? Might just be rich

Car has 125k on it, i'm hoping its just running rich. I know I can smell gas pretty often at a stand still, so i know it has to be running a little rich atleast.

I really can't say either way, but I know some in-your-face indicators of a head gasket issue try changing your oil. If there is ANY fluid in your oil, there you go. Also, run your AC, if you have a blown head gasket, it typically smells like fish or mold.

Hope this helps!
Ran my AC all the time, and it doesn't smell weird at all. I'm hoping I just psyched myself out, but we'll see.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:26 PM
12 Second Club

Well I checked the coolant, and it was at the right level when cool, and then when hot. I don't smell anything strange out of the AC vents, nor is the car overheating at all.

I'm still concerned, as there was a good amount of smoke coming out of the tail pipes the other day after I got on it. I haven't got on it since then, and I havn't noticed any smoke coming out of the tail pipes after normal driving.

Is it normal if the car was running rich for the smoke to occur? And if I did have a blown headgasket, would there be smoke always coming out of the tail pipes, or just after I got on it?
Old 05-29-2009, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it happened the one time, and your oil and coolant look fine, then I think you are worrying over nothing.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

white smoke usually means your burning some oil, black smoke would be carbon and such. if it was coolant you would notice what appears to be steam, like on a cold morning. condensation which your muffler gets from being driven. sound's like a little blow by to me.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:45 PM
12 Second Club

Changed the oil today, and everything looked ok. Took it out afterwards, and got on it for the first time in a couple days. When I came back in, there was some smoke coming out of the tail pipes as I backed it into the parking space. So I guess i'm just burning a little oil. I guess I need to do a leakdown and compression test. In the mean time, how bad is it to keep driving with blow by? Is it going to destroy my rings?

Last edited by matrik; 05-30-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:01 PM
12 Second Club

Anyone?
Old 05-31-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Black smoke=rich fuel mixture(burning fuel in the exhaust), blue smoke=engine is burning oil, white smoke in normal amount=CO2 but shitload of white smoke=youre burning coolant. Burnt coolant or coolant leak=sweet smell...

Maybe youre just beginning to burn a bit. If youre temp, oil level, coolant level are all normal and no sign of water in engine oil, I say run it til it becomes worst!

Maybe with all the mileage you have some sort of crap residue in the exhaust!!??
Old 05-31-2009, 03:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
Black smoke=rich fuel mixture(burning fuel in the exhaust), blue smoke=engine is burning oil, white smoke in normal amount=CO2 but shitload of white smoke=youre burning coolant. Burnt coolant or coolant leak=sweet smell...

Maybe youre just beginning to burn a bit. If youre temp, oil level, coolant level are all normal and no sign of water in engine oil, I say run it til it becomes worst!

Maybe with all the mileage you have some sort of crap residue in the exhaust!!??
Yeah, all fluid levels are good, no water in the oil, and temp has always been good. I need to get the car tuned, but i'm worried about running it on the dyno but I guess I'll just have to see how the car keeps holding up.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:37 PM
Launching!

If your temp isnt getting high and the coolant level isnt low in the radiator then you don't have a head gasket problem. If you had a head gasket blown, you'd definitely see your coolant level had gone down in the radiator.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Any oil on the throttle blade or copious amounts of oil puddling on the floor of the intake? It might be that after a hard run you are drawing oil into the intake. A catch can will solve that issue.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
Any oil on the throttle blade or copious amounts of oil puddling on the floor of the intake? It might be that after a hard run you are drawing oil into the intake. A catch can will solve that issue.
I didn't even think of that. I don't have a catch can. I'll check the throttle body tomorrow. Thanks!!!
Old 06-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Teching In

seein as how youve been runnin it uncapped probably just residue in the cat and further back burning off..ive blown a few headgaskets and they smoke like a freight train and run like pure T ****(my 305 and 95 k-1500) and there right about