Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting review of about 15 mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put Hooker Maxflow mufflers on my SSP Notch. Im after a 12.99 or better with a stock longblock, so every single HP really matters. I have been *EXTREMELY* pleased with the dyno results, and suprise of all surpises?

Its *really* quiet. The car has long tube headers, off road X pipe, and now straight through mufflers, and its really almost stock quiet at cruising throttle and RPMs. Get on it big and sounds pretty serious, but still not as loud as I had expected it to be.

Ive never regretted buying a Hooker

chris
Old 01-14-2004, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It just goes to show you that you can’t believe the flow rate testing. Everyone dogs on Flowmaster and the difference from the best one was only 4 hp and 2 ft/lbs. Yet everyone’s flow rate shows less than half.

Then again it might just be that the person doing the testing doesn't know what they are doing. I worked in a mechanical test lab for ten years. When measuring flow it is real easy to screw the results by not positioning the transducer correctly. I tend to believe a dyno before flow rates. Especially if I'm not there to see that the testing was performed correctly.

An example would be the (Hooker Max flow resulted at 373hp with a flow rate of 521 cfm) yet the Hooker Aeromax only had one less hp with 200 less cfm flow. (Hooker Aeromax 372hp 324cfm) this tells me that who ran the flow rate test wasn't able to take accurate measurements.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:02 PM
TECH Junkie

i know the flowmasters dont flow as much as a straight throw muffler, but the race mufflers have to flow pretty well from looking at the inside of them

plus ive never heard and ls1 that sounded better than the way my car sounds, only a couple that have sounded about as good.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

One of the problems I have with the dyno test is that the car was carb'ed and not efi. I think they just left the tune alone, swapped mufflers, dyno'd, repeat. You are correct though that they were all really close in terms of power for such a high hp car. Mainly the decision comes down to how loud do you want the car.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Visceral
I put Hooker Maxflow mufflers on my SSP Notch. Im after a 12.99 or better with a stock longblock, so every single HP really matters. I have been *EXTREMELY* pleased with the dyno results, and suprise of all surpises?

Its *really* quiet. The car has long tube headers, off road X pipe, and now straight through mufflers, and its really almost stock quiet at cruising throttle and RPMs. Get on it big and sounds pretty serious, but still not as loud as I had expected it to be.

Ive never regretted buying a Hooker

chris
I have a Maxflow on my car, much better than the dynomouth set up I had on there before, esp. not having any cats on the car. It's very mellow at cruise and idle, & a mean SOB at WOT. I can't wait to hear how it sounds w/ LT's.

My first experience with these mufflers were on my good friend's 95' GT heads/cam car. His car had a slight ET gain switching from flowmaster 2 chambers to the Maxflows. He refuses to this day to try another muffler. He's absolutely sold on them and puts them on every new truck he's bought since. The ony drawback I can see is not having dual outlets on my car out the back... oh well, it's been fun to catch a few people sleeping when they think it's just another V6 Camaro in traffic.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:08 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AKRA
An example would be the (Hooker Max flow resulted at 373hp with a flow rate of 521 cfm) yet the Hooker Aeromax only had one less hp with 200 less cfm flow. (Hooker Aeromax 372hp 324cfm) this tells me that who ran the flow rate test wasn't able to take accurate measurements.

you forgot to take into account that the extra flow is only going to increase power on a car that NEEDS more flow.............considering the dyno numbers are all within 10hp.........it looks like the car they dynod really didnt need much more flow...........now try all those mufflers on a 600hp car, and i guarantee there will be more than a 10hp difference.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:40 PM

does somebody else make flat stlye mufflers besides spin tech
Old 12-08-2007, 01:55 PM
Tech Resident

The Admins need to add an emoticon of a little guy with a shovel digging up dirt. That way, we have an icon for when people dig up 3 year old posts like this.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
The Admins need to add an emoticon of a little guy with a shovel digging up dirt. That way, we have an icon for when people dig up 3 year old posts like this.

I agree, you delicious frozen chocolate taco you.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At least back then there was some good discussion and testing. Today it sometimes feels like everyone thinks the answers are done.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
As opposed to someone starting a new thread and having everybody pile on with "DO A SEARCH"....

I actually got to see a comprehensive post about muffler comparisons for a change. It still is not all that conclusive, but at least it was something to review.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

Old 12-09-2007, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rob Hood
As opposed to someone starting a new thread and having everybody pile on with "DO A SEARCH"....

Damned if ya do and damned if ya dont with these guys sometimes.

I like my hooker max flows. you cant seem to make the bastards ignorantly loud when you are just cruising or at idle, yet when you get on the throttle (especially with no cats and headers) they sound F'n awesome.

Quick Reply: Interesting review of about 15 mufflers