Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longtube header clearance questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Longtube header clearance questions

I have a few questions I am curious about after doing my longtube headers swap. I bought all the pieces off ebay and thought I could save a few bucks and not sacrifice fitment. They fit pretty good I just have a pesky rattle at 1/4 throttle acceleration. In turn I have a few questions as to how I can clearance everything better. (there are a ton of spots that are very very tight). I have already notched my kmember a bit and clearanced the headers slightly with a torch. I have noticed that they are still very very close to the kmember in the front on the drivers side. Those of you with tubular K-members do they give you a ton more room? My next question is in regards to the CamaroCain clearancing I saw mentioned. The link no longer works so what exactly was that? My final question pertains to the picture I have attached. After doing my header and ORY swap this piece was about an inch and a half-2inches from being able to fit. I've thought about using spacers to put it back on but is it really necessary?? If so why?? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails Longtube header clearance questions-2048825_121_full.jpg  
Old 06-26-2009, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a tube K member and it makes alot of room under the car.
http://mycarpics.shutterfly.com/262
http://mycarpics.shutterfly.com/245
As far as the cross plate in the pic I'm not quite sure what its for but my "I" pipe is very close too.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:34 AM
Launching!

thanks for the help, anyone else have any idea on the tunnel brace and if i'm hurting anything by not having it on?
Old 06-27-2009, 11:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

the k member gives u huge amount of room compared to the stock one. I just wish i would have done the k member before headers. it would have made the install ten times easier. For that cross brace i had to put an aftermarket one on. Most guys do run into the problem with the i pipe hitting it. Good luck with everything.

Also look an ur drivers side header where the y pipe is attached to it. Ive have seen a few hit the floors there
Old 06-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Launching!

what brand aftermarket tunnel brace would give the most clearance? Anyone have any feedback on what they've bought? I've heard spohn gives like 1.5 inches over stock.. as it sits it looks like I might need 2 inches though..
Old 06-27-2009, 02:57 PM
Launching!

just bought a bmr driveshaft loop/brace. based on pictures it looked like that one gives the most clearance so we will see!!