Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which intake for a serious street car
Fast 92/92
24.39%
Vic Jr. w/ elbow and TB
31.71%
Vic Jr. w/ 4 barrel TB
39.02%
Other options please list.
4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Victor Jr. on a street car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 05:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I run a th400 and am rarely under 4000rpms anyway. All I care about is WOT in my car. I have other daily drivers for cuising around. With that in mind, I still might see an improvement from my ls6 setup, right?
Old 07-28-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go ahead and do it, just dont use those 90 degree elbows. I had one in my car and it made the car sluggist at low rpms. I now will be using a 4 bbl TB with a blow through carb hat, like the setup that was pictured in page 1.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

now all i need to do is hit the lotto so i could get my LS2 414 with a Vic Jr and a 4 barrel throttle body.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jimmy P
I would go ahead and do it, just dont use those 90 degree elbows. I had one in my car and it made the car sluggist at low rpms. I now will be using a 4 bbl TB with a blow through carb hat, like the setup that was pictured in page 1.
That is my setup on page one. If your going to run that setup all you need is a spectre blow through carb hat,2 spectre 45* eblows and a few couplers to fit it all together. We run these setups in SD because the cams respond and tune better in SD mode,so if you run a MAF just cut the tubeing a tad shorter and mate it up. There are a few other elbows other than the spectre but for me i went with the cheaper spectre hat for a NA application but if i had a turbo or super charger setup the extreme velocity hat would be the way to go.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would stay with the ls6. I have a few reasons
The fast it too damm expensive for plastic. I would never buy it.
Elbows suck ***.
4 barrels with the carb hat suck *** its the same as an elbow.
Before I was gonna go with the 4 barrel route I was gonna do an speed density tune. But now I'm doing a carb with edelbrocks small truangular filter. And since your car is a daily driver u need the wipers.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 383lt1impala
4 barrels with the carb hat suck *** its the same as an elbow.
No it is not. The carb hat is quite a bit larger on the inside vs. a 90mm elbow, and the 4 bbl will keep air distribution even to all cylinders where as the elbow (no matter how well it flows) will starve the front cylinders and cram air into the rear. Remember, the carb hat is just a filter adapter, it is not going to change air flow that much. The elbow is a 90° bend after the throttle blade, that is a problem.

Oh, and at the race track you can just remove the carb hat if you think it is restricting flow to your motor.

Back to the OP, if you do not plan on building a large cube motor, I would not use the Victor at all. You will probably be best served with your LS6 manifold. On a 346" motor the Victor will loose some low end torque and will not make it up untill you are spinning past 7,500 rpm. Now, if you are planning to build a 408+ motor, go for it!
Old 07-29-2009, 11:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

The Victor Jr is a good choice, depending on your setup.

What can kill power slightly is if the Vic Jr is not match ported to the heads. Edelbrock puts extra material in the ports for this reason. It is even advised in the instructions. Also, dont get one of the low profile elbows meant for Vettes. Those do restrict flow somewhat.

Lastly, the Vic Jr is meant for a much different RPM range that the FAST or a stock LS6 manifold. So, if you cam is not a top-end power cam, then it may not be the best choice for you. I went from a ported FAST to a ported Vic Jr with a elbow from Aaron at 6061.com.

http://www.6061.com/elbows.htm

With the FAST I had great low end, but it sort of feel off at the higher RPM's (over 6500rpm). Now, with the Vic Jr, the low end seems about the same, maybe slightly less responsive however it pulls strong now easily to 7000rpm+.

The other factor that made me move to a Vic Jr is durability with Nitrous. A nitrous pop, even a small one can destroy a FAST. Whereas an aluminum manifold has a better chance of surviving.

Not to mention... Vic+Elbow= $495 FAST= $835 or more.

That ProFlo-XT looks promising. I would like to see what one of those with a decent port job would do, powerband wise. Nice long straight runners, perfect for a direct port N2O setup. Hmm....

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
well whatever you do, do not use vic jr w/elbow, with that said all the others are good choices but if you do 4 barrel tb then your going to have to cut some of the cowl and there is not a good looking way to put an air cleaner on it
and well the fast is just to damn expensive

Last edited by Goldfinger911; 07-29-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Goldfinger911

Not to mention... Vic+Elbow= $495 FAST= $835 or more.

That ProFlo-XT looks promising. I would like to see what one of those with a decent port job would do, powerband wise. Nice long straight runners, perfect for a direct port N2O setup. Hmm....
the price vs. performance of the fast and the victor is why i was thinking about gouing that route.

And as far as the ProFlo if you have an F body and plan on keeping the wipers and the cowl you can pretty much forget it. There is a thread where somebody made on work but he ahd to repostion the engine and cut alot of the cowl out.......and it was still a tight fit.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by StreetStalkerZ
It will get you around until you get a cam cut for the intake. Your will hate the torque range until you do because the single plane intakes require a totaly different LSA profile to help with the low to midrange power curve.
what about with a d1 and 3.7 pulley?
Old 08-09-2009, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MelScrilla
There is a thread where somebody made on work but he ahd to repostion the engine and cut alot of the cowl out.......and it was still a tight fit.
not so much!
you do have to remove the wipers and cut the cowl but once that is done it fits nicely
no motor adjustments needed
Old 08-09-2009, 09:46 PM
10 Second Club

not so much!
you do have to remove the wipers and cut the cowl but once that is done it fits nicely
no motor adjustments needed
im not sure what hood/hood mods you'll have to use but it looks offal tight lol

another car

Old 08-09-2009, 09:50 PM
10 Second Club

I just looked back, that second one is your car i think so never mind lol.
how did you make the hood fit?
Old 08-09-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 69_YENKO
I just looked back, that second one is your car i think so never mind lol.
how did you make the hood fit?
custom hood is on the way lol
Old 08-09-2009, 10:47 PM
10 Second Club

custom hood is on the way lol
nice, im curious to see what you do. I'll have to keep checking on that other thread for updates.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ported Victor with Ed 4 barrel here...I love it with my G5X2 in my street car. I'm pretty light though. The torque differance is maybe down 10 wheel @ 3k rpm and the HP difference at 6k is easily 15+ rwhp compared to my previous LS6 intake setup. It keeps pulling and pulling and...

FWIW-I'm coming from a dry sump rev happy 219 rwhp 6. This intake helps the motor ''feel" better 5k-6850rpms. It's not your application i don't think, but the motor doesn't feel strained hanging out at 5800 rpm through a long corner then blasting another thousand rpm like the LS6 did. This intake is awesome.

REPEAT AFTER ME: 4 Barrel TB will make your wildest dreams come true

I'll post a picture of my air filter tomorrow. It'll fit under the cowl fo sho
Old 08-10-2009, 05:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone have cams stocked on the shelf meant for a carb setup? I knew it would require a different type of cam, but wasnt sure how it would look different from a typical LS1 cam.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

The way these motors sit under the cowl on F bodies suck. I would love to run the vic jr with a 4bbl tb and a old school air cleaner, but thats pretty much impossible. But i do plan on doing a 408 down the road but i would love to keep my cowl.

And those damn pro flos seem like they take more cutting to work than the vic jr.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
Does anyone have cams stocked on the shelf meant for a carb setup? I knew it would require a different type of cam, but wasnt sure how it would look different from a typical LS1 cam.
+1. There's always room for improvement. I've been told the X2 is ground towards cam only (obviously for plastic).

Quick Reply: Victor Jr. on a street car?