Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pick a CATCH CAN

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 06:23 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to everyone who has purchased my catch cans and mentioned them here. My units are caried by several distributors such as Thunder racing, WS6 Store, Vengeance Racing and Custom Corvette Accessories. KY Speed bought some at one point also. There are also several shops that buy 2 or 3 at a time for their projects. I think I have sold somewhere around 2000-2500 units so far with no returns and no complaints.

I can also say that my units are all USA made billet. I am sure that a lot of the other units are US made also, but I have heard some are made, in full or partially, in China or some where else in that area of the world.

My cans work great for most applications as long as the engine and PCV system is mechanically sound. If you get a car that has worn or loose rings, runs a lot of boost or a lot of gas, all that create excessive crankcase pressure, it will still work fine, but tend to need to be emptied more often. The catch can is not to fix an oil use issue, but just to keep the oil out of the intake.

With that said, if you have an engine that will push out or use more then a quart of oil in les then 2000 miles or less, you have some mechanical engine issue for sure that needs to be addressed. For high boost and big nitrous shots that have an engine built specifically loose, then a dual inlet breather package would be best.

A lot has been covered here with some helpful info for sure.

Hope this helps and thanks again.

Mike Norris
Old 08-04-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Junkie

good info, thanks Mike!
Old 08-30-2009, 05:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my Adrenaline Parts one, I got anodized black, but it was cool, they definately took care of me one the phone, even offered to paint it ibm like my car or chrome. Stayed with the sale price of at the local AZFBA.com site and so got the ano black one. Looks good on the car, I'm happy with it. I also looked at the elite one, ended up trying these guys out after seeing some of there other pricing.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Lightbulb

I've got the Mike Norris catch-can on my car.

If you really want to get it away from the engine heat mount the catch-can below the passenger side headlight off the frame rail. Then you can set it up so all you have to do to drain it is reach under the nose of the car and open the drain valve. I originally did it that way because I still have the EGR on my car, works great that way!
Old 11-01-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I've got the Mike Norris catch-can on my car.

If you really want to get it away from the engine heat mount the catch-can below the passenger side headlight off the frame rail. Then you can set it up so all you have to do to drain it is reach under the nose of the car and open the drain valve. I originally did it that way because I still have the EGR on my car, works great that way!
hmmm good idea... got any pics?
Old 11-01-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Lightbulb

Not the greatest photos, but here they are.

The dot is hoses going to the catch-can.

Upper dot is the two hoses, lower dot is where the catch-can is.

The can is mounted to the frame rail after removing an existing nut, then reinstalling it.I had to remove the headlight to install it there.

FYI, if you want any different photos let me know;i'll take some new ones.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:30 PM
TECH Junkie

thanks man!
Old 11-02-2009, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Does the Norris Can mount without any modifications/cutting in the engine bay?
Old 11-03-2009, 01:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Striker
Does the Norris Can mount without any modifications/cutting in the engine bay?
pretty sure they are all a bolt-in type setup...
Old 11-04-2009, 08:01 AM
Teching In

Im running the elite engineering one. Its a really good quality piece.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Regular

I have the mike norris catch can in my car, and it bolts right up! no cutting or any modifications were necessary! excellent product!!!
Old 11-15-2009, 01:49 PM
Launching!

on byunspeed.com there are 2 different catch cans for the LS1. Is it safe to assume that I should be be getting the NA one and not the S/C one? What is the difference in between them since they both say they hold 1 quart.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:30 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by some_punk
on byunspeed.com there are 2 different catch cans for the LS1. Is it safe to assume that I should be be getting the NA one and not the S/C one? What is the difference in between them since they both say they hold 1 quart.

Yes. The N/A can is what you need.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:58 PM
11 Second Club

I have and prefer the Norris Motorsports Catch Can, I have the upgraded Gen 2 with black pushon hose fittings Very Classy looking, and works very well. purchased direct thru Mike's website.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:18 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TLewis4095
The completely closed OEM system allows a small amount of oil (or with excess blowby ALOT) to enter the intake via the TB where it gets the filtered make-up air through reversion, so for those that want to eliminate that point of ingress you use the filtered breather. No other way to ensure oil is not entering the intake unless you ran an additional can in that line as well (which is the ideal NA set-up).
I am not sure if I am understanding this correctly, but could you accomplish this with the Saikou Michi can as it has dual cans, inlets, and outlets? Would this be better than a breather and would it be possible to describe or provide a sketch of the required routing?

I really appreciate all your knowledge on this subject (and 405HP Z06) and was wondering what you would suggest for an occasionally driven street car that sees some HPDE events?

***Found the routing in this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/11059703-post70.html***

Would the Saikou Michi be a good choice for a dual can setup for my application then? If not, coudl your recommend something better.

Last edited by Formula51; 11-24-2009 at 10:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Pick a CATCH CAN