Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

busted lug/stud

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 11:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default busted lug/stud

Ok, So I want to know if its possible to break a stud/wheel bolt that the lugs grab onto in normal usage conditions....I put the car up on stands and jacked up the pumpkin to do the lcas, The driver rear wheel came off fine with the lug wrench, passenger side all where loosening except 1 that just wouldn't budge, well that's the one that snapped off while turning the lug wrench counterclockwise.

I have not taken off the wheels the last 3 times the car was somewhere for something <spacers, tires, brakes> I am wondering if someone overtorqued that bolt causing this problem....or If I'm just a dumbass and did it to myself??

Please advise, I have not driven the car since worried about losing a wheel on the freeway, it still has 4 lugs on the pass. side cam only m6.

can I replace the bolt myself or gotta get a whole new hub or something?? expensive?

Thanks guys.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like one that broke was cross threaded. It'll be fine with four lugs and as far as replacing the broken one, just remove your rotor and knock it out. Then put your new one in. Itll have to be pressed in. If you have access to an impact, get you an open end lug and some washers and suck it through til the back is flush. Its an easy fix.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So would that be my fault or theirs?
I can't beat that bitch with 4 lugs tho right?
I don't have an impact but I could buy one I suppose, You mean the air ones or li ion ones?

what is the correct name for what I need? wheel stud?

Thank you
Old 08-01-2009, 02:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its theyre fault. An air impact gun is what youll need if you do it your self. If your running stock wheel studs I wouldnt launch with stickies but just on the street i wouldnt worry about it. Should be fine.