Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flowmaster vs: Borla Dyno Shootout Results

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 01:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have a Flowmaster 80 series muffler, so it's nice to see some actual results.

Good thing I already knew Flowmaster wasn't very ideal... I just bought it for sound during the winter months.

During the spring and summer, I run an open cutout, all the time.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't justiy spending $700 for a borla. I know it is stainless and sounds real good and if you use the open plate then the flow isn't actually going through the muffler it's dumped out the right side of the exhaust. this is why i spent $80 for my 80 series and $26 for my cutout and $95 on my 3 inch intermediate and over axle pipe. So for $200 I have a catback exhaust and it sounds good too.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

Good info! And about what I expected would be the difference. Couldn't pay me to run a Flowmaster muffler on my car - and we won't put them on a car.

Dyno'ing duals behind that would have been interesting too.

I used to run a Magnaflow cat-back and made more power through it(better et's too) than through a cut-out. We made a custom 4" system using an Edelbrock(sp?) Victor muffler - with a 4" cutout. Pretty sweet, but it ran better times and made more power through the muffler as well... Go figure.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the info Paul. Many of my buddies have said get rid of the Borla, its too heavy. I like the way it sounds capped up, which is the way I run it 99% of the time on the street. On the dyno I only lost 6.5 rwhp going through the muffler.

Bruce
Old 12-03-2003, 05:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As stated before, the borla has a built in cutout. On my '94, I picked up 15rwhp when uncapping my cutout with the flowmaster. I switched to borla and with the cutout still in place, ran the same times whether the cutout was closed and the borla was open, or the other way around. On my '99, I only picked up 8rwhp over the stock exhaust.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

like i said, flows might not put out the best power but they put out the best sound by far.....
Old 12-03-2003, 06:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

I have the Edelbrock catback and it sounds awsome. I dynoed last year at thunder racings dyno day and back to back pulls , first through the muffler was 371 hp 372tq. Opened the cutout and went 389hp and 382 tq. SOme of the power seen was probably from being second pull is usually higher but I also run 2 mph faster at the track through the cutout.
Great info Paul
Old 12-03-2003, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the info Paul. I love posts like this.Hard numbers no seat o' the pants talk.

Flowmasters baffling system is supposed to aid cylinder scavenging due to the baffles (for lack of a better term) harmonic tuning.There is actually sound scientific evidence to support this practice.Unfortunately,in this application it looks like it is actually working against cylinder scavenging from 5,000 to 6,300.

I know this is not the case with all of their muffler systems. I wonder why they dropped the ball so bad in this application.
Looks like they need to get in the shop and do some more R&D.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great info man. All I have to say is that I went from a flowmaster with carsound cats and 3in y-pipe to a true dual 2.5in stainless steel exhaust and noticed a BIG difference in power! Also to what WS6FirebirdTA00 said, I can guarantee my exhaust now sounds way better than a flowmaster, the flowmaster did sound good but got a little high pitched. Ride around in my car now and it does nothing but rumble and it is very deep sounding. A bunch of other people besides myself said that is sounds soooo much better now. However the flow did sound decent at the time. Where at in NC are you?

-Sly
Old 12-03-2003, 07:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Jeebus Wes.... SO your tellign me you have a slowmastter catback and a ls1 intake? No wonder that cars runs 110 mph

How do the magnaflows fare?
I have one of those upstairs
I think I cna get Hooker catbacks pretty cheap possibly

Anyone think opening a cutout doesnt fully bypass the flowmaster, some gas still is going through it, but is pressure vented off to a degree that it dont hurt?
Old 12-03-2003, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

hey man i live in charlotte where u live? i mean yeah there are car that sound good and everything but i tell u what, from all the cars i have heard around here, not true duals, everyone says mine sounds so mean. i dont have cats on mine and dont know what kinda flow it is, im guessing a 80 series, but its sooooooooooo deep and now im about to do headers so im sure its gonna get a lot deeper, look for my post for header install i will have pics and sound clips before and after. most around here have borla, loudmouth, hooker and they really sound weird
Old 12-03-2003, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool, I live in Asheville, Oh ya Im running cats on mine as well and it's very loud! hehe

-Sly
Old 12-03-2003, 08:43 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,702 Likes on 1,220 Posts

Paul @ Thunder...

I bought my Bassani catback from you when you first started selling them. I never did do a before and after dyno (my car wasn't stock so it might not have been a good basis for claims anyway), so I was wondering if you've seen any dyno results on the Bassani setup vs stock or any other aftermarket catbacks? You can look straight through the muffler so I would assume it flows well. Just wondering if you've seen any numbers because I have yet to see any...

Thanks

Quick Reply: Flowmaster vs: Borla Dyno Shootout Results