Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions wanted on Mufflex 4" Catback

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 08:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks !
Old 08-16-2009, 10:28 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I had the Mufflex 4 inch system with the Spintech muffler installed by them on my ‘94 in their shop.

First, they mangled my Kooks Y pipe and used some sort of huge coupling. It was pretty ugly.

Second, don’t be taken by them saying 4 inch pipes will fit. It didn’t. They even wedged a rubber block between the top of the pipe and the body. It fell out.

Third, the hangers they used (they make them up with steel rods) were barely in the rubbers on the body. They pulled out and the whole thing hung down on the rear. I had to re-work their hangers.

Forth, it hit everything. Big dents from the rear universal joint and from the rear’s axle tube.

Fifth, I didn’t care for the frequency and it’s drone on the highway. From inside the car, it was terrible. I like a loud exhaust but this sounded plain bad to me.

You may not gain very much with the 4 inch system unless you have some pretty big cubes. Some back pressure can be a good thing.

I for one will advise to go with a 3.5 inch system. If you think you need more, you should be looking at a true dual system.

For my new car, I’ll be going to the 3.5 inch system from Stainless Works. When I have the bucks for it and the K-frame, Kooks headers and Y-pipe, that is.

Last edited by Paul Bell; 08-14-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:54 AM
10 Second Club

Smile

i do have big inch high hp car with 4in mufflex/mag muffler.i installed system my self just takes time to get right.mine fits great and hits no where.spintec muffler really sucks + is heavy as hell.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:18 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

LS1Tech 10 Year

tals7, maybe I shoulda had you do my install. Perhaps the other muffler choices are better sounding (or worse...).

To the OP: Do you really need a 4 inch system? Buyer beware, you can do the install better yourself than the company that makes/sells/installs the system.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:50 PM
10 Second Club

Smile

i would be happy to help you install ehx system any time.mag muffler sounds better imo.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:39 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

LS1Tech 10 Year

Thanks tals7 but Michigan is a little far from NYC. Anyways, that system's on my dead '94. I'll be installing the Stainless Works 3.5 system myself on the '99.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:44 PM
10 Second Club

sounds good to me.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mufflex installed your exhaust? Why wouldnt they have used one of their kits instead of fabbing it up right there? The pipe going over your axle clearly shows that they made it on the spot, and didn't use their pre made pipes. I'd be pissed too! Was there something different about your car that made it so they couldnt use their kit?
Old 08-18-2009, 12:52 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

LS1Tech 10 Year

They said that was the kit. It had to be put in sectioned like that. They said they all looked like that.

I didn't surprise them, I had made an appointment days earlier. It was a long drive and I didn't want to just drop in for the work. I dedicated a day for the drive there, the time in their shop (about 2 hours) and the drive home.

They suck. I wouldn't reccommend anybody to use their stuff. If you have and had good experiances, good for you, I'd say you were lucky. Their website makes them look pretty good. It's a small shop that looks to do general repairs. I wasn't impressed.

I saw the Stainless Works 3.5 system on a car, it looked way better & more precise. It sounded good too.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
They said that was the kit. It had to be put in sectioned like that. They said they all looked like that.

I didn't surprise them, I had made an appointment days earlier. It was a long drive and I didn't want to just drop in for the work. I dedicated a day for the drive there, the time in their shop (about 2 hours) and the drive home.

They suck. I wouldn't reccommend anybody to use their stuff. If you have and had good experiances, good for you, I'd say you were lucky. Their website makes them look pretty good. It's a small shop that looks to do general repairs. I wasn't impressed.

I saw the Stainless Works 3.5 system on a car, it looked way better & more precise. It sounded good too.
My kit looks nothing like what you have. When did you have the work done?

Also I thought all you guys were being over dramatic about the Spintech muffler weight but I WAS WRONG THAT SUCKER IS HEAVY!!
Old 08-18-2009, 07:04 PM
11 Second Club

Here is the pics of my Intermediate pipe and Over the axle piece.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:20 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

LS1Tech 10 Year

"When did you have the work done?"

I'd say it was springtime '07.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's my custom 3.5" Mufflex.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...aust-pics.html
Old 08-23-2009, 11:15 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

LS1Tech 10 Year

Grifter's system looks all made up from sections with rod hangers like mine was.

SmokedOutZ28's system looks like the real deal pre-bent pipes with proper hangers.

I'm certain that if my system had the pre-bent pipes and good hangers, it woulda been better.

Regardless, I feel I bought an inferior product with poor craftsmanship and won't recommend them to anybody. The rubber bumper they used between the pipe and body showed me they did a lousy un-caring job. Freekin system fell off the hangers, how would you feel if this happened to you? The pics say it all. Screw them!
Old 08-23-2009, 12:44 PM
11 Second Club

I hope the pre-bents are right, Mine gets installed next weekend and I tried to mock it up and the over the axle piece didn't seem to want to go on right.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Grifter's system looks all made up from sections with rod hangers like mine was.
Mine is a custom, built to my car system. So yes, it is made of up of several sections because that's why it fits perfectly.

I love the system, they were great to work with and I feel the quality of the product is top notch.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

kind of bringing this one back, but has anybody had problems with heavy resonance on the highway? my 4 inch mufflex drones BAD on the highway.. sounds ******* sick at idle with my cam, and at WOT. if i could just find a way to stop the resonance at cruising speed, id be totally happy. any ideas? i cant figure out which muffler i have, its black and a bullet style 4''. spintec maybe?
Old 09-08-2009, 06:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not spintech. Theirs is shaped like a box. If yours is a "bullet" then its not even offered by mufflex. Spintech, Flowmaster, and Magnaflow are the only ones you can get from Mufflex.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tribaltalon
kind of bringing this one back, but has anybody had problems with heavy resonance on the highway? my 4 inch mufflex drones BAD on the highway.. sounds ******* sick at idle with my cam, and at WOT. if i could just find a way to stop the resonance at cruising speed, id be totally happy. any ideas? i cant figure out which muffler i have, its black and a bullet style 4''. spintec maybe?
Not really much you can do about the drone except maybe add a resonator or try a new muffler. Where is your exhaust tip exiting?
Old 09-08-2009, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

parallel behind the back axle dumping out the driver rear. i like the loudness, its just the resonance.. any ideas on what to add to stop that without making it quiet?

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted on Mufflex 4" Catback