Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Temp Gauge... Using Passanger Cyl. Head

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also curious who makes that gauge..

Isn't there a place to mount a coolant temp sensor under the starter too?
Old 08-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Can anyone tell me (see pic) if i have the correct fitting so that i can tap the passanger side head? It looks right to me...
Here is the one from Autometer
Heres what problems you're going to run into.
That Autometer 2277 adapter is correct and will screw into the cylinder head.
The problem is your sender is too long, that autometer adapter is to be used with their sender that looks like this SENDER.
See how short it is and it has nothing extending beyond the threads?

I've heard of people just drilling the adapter out, but when you see it unmodified, it's thin to begin with. Drilling is going to make it more thin and more prone to breaking off in the cylinder head. And when you get to installing this, if you have headers, you're going to realize how much it's going to suck if it breaks off.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are correct it is supossed to be 1/8" NPT Female. 12mm x 1.5 Male.. And it is an 8mm Allen wrench from what i gathered
my memory isnt that bad then. looks like you know what you need to do to get it working. haha. i used my adapted and didnt trim anything and its working fine. so idk if you sender is any different then the autometer one. referring to what ^^ said.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkBlueLS2
Heres what problems you're going to run into.
That Autometer 2277 adapter is correct and will screw into the cylinder head.
The problem is your sender is too long, that autometer adapter is to be used with their sender that looks like this SENDER.
See how short it is and it has nothing extending beyond the threads?

I've heard of people just drilling the adapter out, but when you see it unmodified, it's thin to begin with. Drilling is going to make it more thin and more prone to breaking off in the cylinder head. And when you get to installing this, if you have headers, you're going to realize how much it's going to suck if it breaks off.
So then what do i do? The fitting that i have is not the right size. I went and measured it today.. The thread on the outside that will thread into the head is 3/8".. The inside pitch threads is fine; 1/8"..

So do i order the correct fitting and cut down my sender?
Old 08-09-2009, 02:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

And to all that want to know what gauges those are, please PM me.. That way i can get all the info and copy and paste it all

Thanks
Old 08-09-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

You can find the correct steel adapter (metric pitch OD and 1/8 NPT ID) at fittingsandadapters.com; however, it is like the larger one pictured and you will have to finish drilling it thru for the long sensor to fit inside and thread into the internal 1/8-27 NPT thread. You need a "Letter R" drill, 0.339" diameter - that is the tap drill size for the 1/8 NPT. You will have to go to a "REAL" hardware store to find the letter size drills, Neither Ace or Home Depot, etc. will carry this size bit. I needed one in Crapus Christi and had to drive 40 miles across town over to an industrial supply near the refineries to find one in stock. All that for a 4 buck drill bit.
In my opinion the steel adapter is better because the wall thickness is gonna be really thin and lots of people break the brass one off in the head during installation because of the thin wall.

I believe you need a 6 MM allen wrench to remove the stock PS coolant plug, not 8.

Last edited by Weezzer; 08-09-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Banned

If you cut the sender it will ruin it.
I'd be a little upset if this was made for an LS1.

What do you do? I searched on here when I got my Autometer temp gauge and adapter, found a few people who took a steel bolt that threaded into the head and drilled/tapped for the 1/8" NPT.

I contacted Autometer and they gave me the part number for the short sensor, ironically it's labled cylinder head temp sensor. Now I don't know if the pass cylinder head coolant runs 20 degrees lower or it's actually reading cylinder head temp and not coolant temp. But my autometer temp gauge reads about 18 degrees lower than the stock one, my stock one is untouched. And that reading comes from hp tuners.

I like the idea of the long sensor tip that your kit has.

I used the short sensor with the 2277 adapter out of the box and was worried about it breaking, that plus the limited space to work in, it makes it hard to judge how tight it is.

I would look into adapting it into the TB bypass line, if you look at it the coolant in this line comes right out of the cylinder head. You'd get the average temp between the two heads. The sensor will need to be grounded if it's spliced into a rubber line.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Weezzer
I believe you need a 6 MM allen wrench to remove the stock PS coolant plug, not 8.
Before you go poking around with the wrong tools getting frustrated, you need an 8mm allen socket for the bolt.

EDIT: THIS IS THE ACTUAL PLUG IN A 241 LS1 CYLINDER HEAD.

Attached Thumbnails Water Temp Gauge... Using Passanger Cyl. Head-img_0003.jpg  

Last edited by DarkBlueLS2; 08-09-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Banned

Most of the time you can use a 11/32 drill, it's only .004 bigger than a R bit.
It's a tapered thread, it'll just go in deeper with a hole thats slightly larger.
Still you can just not run the tap in so deep to avoid that.

And this is onlt if you're drilling a new hole, not modifying an adapter.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:14 PM
10 Second Club

Smile

just use auto meter 2277.all ls threds (both sides) are metric/m12x1.5.i am using 2277 in my ls7 powered 2002 ta just make sure you use crush ring.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

So then what do i do? The fitting that i have is not the right size. I went and measured it today.. The thread on the outside that will thread into the head is 3/8".. The inside pitch threads is fine; 1/8"..

So do i order the correct fitting and cut down my sender?
So far a 2 page technical thread for installing one damn sending unit. Put the **** in your TB bypass line and go drink a cold one.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:19 PM
10 Second Club

no use 2277 auto meter adapter in rear of pass cly head.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tals7
no use 2277 auto meter adapter in rear of pass cly head.
You CANNOT use the 2277 adapter for his sender!
Look at how long it is compared to the one that autometer requires to be used with that adapter. Even the standard autometer sender that comes with their gauge won't work with the 2277 adapter.

His sender is plug and play so he has to use THE ONE IN HIS KIT.

The decision now is to use the 2277 drilled out and risk breaking it off or put it in the TB bypass.

There was someone else who mentioned a location under the starter, yes people have drilled and tapped the block drain plug. Prepare for a full coolant drain if you do that. Plus where do you want to read the temp, up by the head where it matters or down by the bottom of the block?

Yes it's all coolant but the temp varies by location.

You can also drill and tap the water pump.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:47 PM
10 Second Club

i have autometer full sweep an use 2277 fits good.so it dose work with autometer.not sure about his stuff but autometer yes.we use 2277 all ls motors we build that get temp gage.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DarkBlueLS2
You CANNOT use the 2277 adapter for his sender!
Look at how long it is compared to the one that autometer requires to be used with that adapter. Even the standard autometer sender that comes with their gauge won't work with the 2277 adapter.

His sender is plug and play so he has to use THE ONE IN HIS KIT.

The decision now is to use the 2277 drilled out and risk breaking it off or put it in the TB bypass.

There was someone else who mentioned a location under the starter, yes people have drilled and tapped the block drain plug. Prepare for a full coolant drain if you do that. Plus where do you want to read the temp, up by the head where it matters or down by the bottom of the block?

Yes it's all coolant but the temp varies by location.

You can also drill and tap the water pump.
where would be a good spot to drill/tap on the water pump?
Old 08-09-2009, 04:58 PM
10 Second Club

Smile

no need to drillwater pump .itis real simple 2277 adapter/autometer gage/rear of pass head .done
Old 08-09-2009, 05:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

but i guess i am screwed
Old 08-09-2009, 06:56 PM
10 Second Club

Smile

no.pm me if you still have questions.very simple to do
Old 08-09-2009, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

no.pm me if you still have questions.very simple to do
PM coming your way then!
Old 08-09-2009, 07:11 PM
Banned

i have autometer full sweep an use 2277 fits good.so it dose work with autometer.not sure about his stuff but autometer yes.we use 2277 all ls motors we build that get temp gage.
And you use it with the 2259 sender.
See the difference?
This HAS TO be used with the 2277 adapter.

This is a standard autometer sender that comes with all their electric temperature gauges. It will not fit in the 2277 adapter.

Quick Reply: Water Temp Gauge... Using Passanger Cyl. Head