Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No emissions legal headers and catted y-pipe for my '98?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 03:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Exeodus
Well, I am from Illinois. The difference between street legal and emissions legal is that street legal just requires that you have a exhaust system with some sort of muffler. It has nothing to do with emissions, it has to do with sound. A cop here is not going to pull you over for not having cats, but he will if you do not have muffler(s) on the car.

Our emissions test is just a OBD-II scan test. You can have a off-road y-pipe, and as long as your PCM is tuned to remove the codes, you will pass the test. By passing the test and being able to plate the car, you would be street legal. But you are not emissions legal, because the cats were removed.

Keep in mind that simply moving the cats from their original location is also technically illegal. A cop can not issue a ticket from emissions equipment being moved or removed. That is a EPA regulation.
This is true. I got rid of my duals because of this . Also, the louder you are when going to an Emissions station for testing I have found that it makes for a bit longer time period, questions, etc while wating for your piece of paper from the state saying you "passed" But, it is better than it use to be here in Illinois. No more having some ******* run the **** out of your car on a half *** dyno set up like they did before...
Old 09-04-2009, 11:41 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but...you could just keep all your stock components and swap them back on for emissions testing. Pain in the ***, I know, but you're pretty much guaranteed of passing. If you live in a state where you only get tested every two years, then it might be worth it. Just a thought...
Old 12-12-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
the only ones that are legal are shorties. the mac mids look legal and make close to the power that LTs make. you cant get LTs on your car legally because its a federal offense to move the position of the cat. but like i said, it hasnt stopped anyone
What is the power diff in mac mids an lt's?
Old 12-12-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you get shorties get this y pipe it would help.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WL...7/?image=large

Quick Reply: No emissions legal headers and catted y-pipe for my '98?