Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: which exhaust will give me the best sound
Flowmaster 80 series
15.00%
Slp Loud Mouth
35.00%
Magnaflow
46.67%
Dynomax
5.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Flowmasters vs. SLP LM vs. Magnaflow -PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009 | 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

if i was you id go either with SLP or Borla exhaust.. but id do some research n see which one sounds the best to you. i have Borla and get complements all the time. if you want loud then that exhaust will do it. i can barely hear people when im driving. people turn to look at my car when i drive by giving it full throttle you cant hear **** except for that LOVELY sound.
Old 08-29-2009 | 01:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

IMO, A better choice than the Flowmaster catback is the SpinTech catback. It flows better and sounds better and it's around the same price.
Old 08-29-2009 | 08:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey you can go to www.ls1sounds.com An that can help you also figure out what you may or may not like. If you want just flat out loud then go with the loudmouth1 if you want to tone it down a bit go with a loudmouth2 But I've been listen to the systems for a while now and I have and I love my GMMG the sound and tone matched with a Catted Y and headers it turns heads even with my small cam.
Old 08-29-2009 | 09:25 AM
TECH Resident

If you are leaving the stock manifolds and cats on, then go for the LM1. But you probably won't like it once you throw on some Longtubes and ditch the cats. I have magnaflow on mine and like it. Its very quiet in the car and sounds good at WOT. I've never been a Flowmaster fan on F-bodies though.
Old 08-29-2009 | 11:54 AM
Pontiacerator
20 Year Member

It all depends on how loud you like it. Magnaflow and Hooker are QUIET on stock manifolds. My brother has and a good friend had the FM 80. It sounds awesome with manifolds - plenty loud and deep. I had a GMMG at the time which sounded very good, but a lot of people preferred the FM when they were running side by side.

I have no experience with the LM but the way people describe it on here I would never consider it.
Old 08-29-2009 | 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
Any negativity the lm gets is justified. Its cheap for a reason. It sounds great at idle and wot but other than that it sucks.
"Justified"? That is your opinion. That does not make it fact. Again exhaust is a matter of taste. I know the O.P. is looking for input to help him make his decision, and you gave yours. Thats great. You even have experience with LM, unlike most of the nay-sayers who chastise it. Like I said in my post, alot of people can't handle the sound/volume of Loudmouth. But some can. Maybe the O.P. is one of those. Maybe not. I'm not trying to argue. I just want people to be honest and present both the good and the bad. Loudmouth is not just bad, as many make it out to be. It can sound good, if it is matched to the right setup. Any negative points of the exhaust are valid. But to say the exhaust sucks is not justified.
Old 08-29-2009 | 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I have no experience with the LM but the way people describe it on here I would never consider it.
Thats exactly what I'm talking about. He has formed his opinion based on the what the rest of the heard has told him. To each their own, I guess. Again, good luck with your decision. LOL.
Old 08-29-2009 | 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Exhaust

A LM sounds good on stock cubes, but like previous posts becomes raspy with LT's n no cats.

A LM was on my 01 WS6 when I got it. I dropped out the stock 5.7 (noisy rod) n popped in my ol 402. Wow, it was really raspy. I stuck my open chamber Flowmaster back on it. It's ok long as I don't WOT. Then a lil noisy.

My 454, I have a 4" Mufflex with a Magnaflow n sounds Great !
Old 08-29-2009 | 04:27 PM
Pontiacerator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Thats exactly what I'm talking about. He has formed his opinion based on the what the rest of the heard has told him. To each their own, I guess. Again, good luck with your decision. LOL.
Right. It's called a LOUDmouth for a reason. Everyone agrees that's one of the loudest systems available. That's all I need to know I wouldn't want it.
Old 08-29-2009 | 07:03 PM
10 Second Club

"Justified"? That is your opinion. That does not make it fact. Again exhaust is a matter of taste. I know the O.P. is looking for input to help him make his decision, and you gave yours. Thats great. You even have experience with LM, unlike most of the nay-sayers who chastise it. Like I said in my post, alot of people can't handle the sound/volume of Loudmouth. But some can. Maybe the O.P. is one of those. Maybe not. I'm not trying to argue. I just want people to be honest and present both the good and the bad. Loudmouth is not just bad, as many make it out to be. It can sound good, if it is matched to the right setup. Any negative points of the exhaust are valid. But to say the exhaust sucks is not justified.
The "fact" stated was that the lm is rapsy. Honestly when I was making my exhaust decisions I wish I would have listened and not got the lm because it would have saved me some money. It wasn't an issue with noise cause hell I have a cutout on my current setup, its more of the unrefined sound it has. Oh yeah and my "opnion" is that it sucks.If my car was a strip only car I would have kept it but when i'm on the highway/city I want something that has some substance. In the end its his decision but I atleast want to be "honest" about how I feel about it.
Old 08-30-2009 | 09:32 AM

loudmouth 100%. Have had it onall of my cars. Its def the baddest exhaust. Just the sound of it on cold start alone makes it worth te money. haha
Old 08-30-2009 | 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

At one time I also had a flowmaster super44 on my car, that was the best sounding muffler but it was only a single 3" in/out.
Old 08-31-2009 | 06:21 AM
TECH Veteran

thanks again to everyone who's given their recommendations for a good exhaust system. i think im pretty close to making my decision. i'll let everyone know what i chose and post some before/after videos once its all done
Old 08-31-2009 | 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

SLP's Loudmouth is great with factory manifolds or longtube headers. It is stainless steel just like the Maganflow and both are in the same price range as well. Should you decide to go with the LM and eventually do want LT's, your exhaust will definitely be louder. But if you go with a catted Y-pipe instead of the very popular ORY matched to your headers it results in a very aggressive sounding exhaust that may be too loud for some, but to me sounds awesome. Loudmouth gets alot of negative comments on here. Don't let that affect your decision. No matter what exhaust you choose, as long as you like it and you can stand to drive your car with it sounding the way it does, that is all that matters. And for that reason, I chose not to vote. The decision is yours, man. Not mine. Good luck. Let us know what you decide.
Have to agree 100% with you Mumbles! I also have the LM1 with ARHeaders and their catted Y and the sound was what I searched for a long time to find. I have no rasp or drone as so many label it, and if I can't handle the sound then that's when it's time to sell the V8 and get a HONDA so my ears won't hurt!
Old 08-31-2009 | 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

LM1 is definitely a bad *** sounding catback. it lives up to its name. it does get pretty loud and obnoxious once you had some longtube headers and an ory and it will be very raspy. the magnaflow is very quiet. its a good system, but its not loud enough. it has a smooth crisp sound.
Old 09-01-2009 | 01:31 AM
TECH Veteran

why are there 20 votes for magnaflow but when i read through all the comments practically no one has really talked too much about that option. if you vote for a particular exhaust system, i'd really appreciate it if you left me some reasons. thanks again
Old 09-01-2009 | 02:20 AM
TECH Veteran

i think Loudmouth opinions are formed based on setup and personal opinion. some people cant handle the volume. its perfect for me, and until i get **** for it from the pd im not going to change it. and depending on what bolt ons/internal work you have will affect the sound. my advise to you would be get the loudmouth, and if you dont like it, put a new muffler in the place of it. its modular so its very easy
Old 09-01-2009 | 09:46 AM
12 Second Club

well everyone has a different OP but i like my slp LM2. with my stall its very nice and quiet cruising around and when i get on it its loud as hell and thats how i like it. its just witch sound you think you may like better.good luck man
Old 09-01-2009 | 09:47 AM

I just installed a SLP LM catback on my car and it's crazy loud. Sounds great at idle but at 2500-4000 rpm it has to much rasp in it and im afraid to drive it thru town it's so loud.
Old 09-01-2009 | 10:07 AM
On The Tree

i have the loudmouth one and i had it on all last year when i had my stock cats and manifolds and i love the sound it was loud and everybody looked when i did WOT pull. then over winter i put hooker super comps LT's on the car with the ORY pipe and when i started it the car sounded amazing and i love it. everybody looks when i am just driving around because u can hear my car coming. at the same time though a few of my friends hate the sound of my car so its up to you that simple but if i had a choice i would go with the loudmouth

Quick Reply: Flowmasters vs. SLP LM vs. Magnaflow -PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE