Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

180K maintainance: Coils? Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 180K maintainance: Coils? Alternator?

Here's the deal, I have less than 30k on a budget rebuild, but 180k on everything else. Now I have some more cash and am gonna do some upgrades and maintainance. I'm adding new heads and intake, and while in there might as well take care of a few things. Anyone recommend changing the coil packs or alternator as "high mileage maintainance? PS pump? Starter?
Old 09-02-2009, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is one of those "if it aint broke don't fix it" I see your point due to the high mileage on the components but if they still work properly then I would leave them alone. Maybe get the alternator tested if you have it out. Coils work or don't work. If you have a bad one you'll know.If the p/s pump works ok it might only need a shaft seal, which is easy once the pully is off and this is only if it leaks. Put the $ towards other things on the car and just keep a slush fund if you can to cover an unexpected repair. My DD caviler has 176K on it and still has the org starter, coils, p/s pump.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The above advice is good. You might consider changing fluids that most people never think of changing such as PS fluid and brake fluid and flushing your coolant system. This stuff is inexpensive to do, but can reap big benefits down the road. One preventative thing you can do on your starter is replace the brush plate. Less than $15 and you have a new starter since that's usually the only thing that wears out. You do have to pull the starter to swap the plate, but you can use solvent and compressed air to clean it up. It should look and act like a new unit when you put it back.