Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failing emission test with TSP catted Y

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Failing emission test with TSP catted Y

Since putting on my Pacesetter LTs with the TSP catted y-pipe I can't pass the e-test. Failed all three tests at load, but pass at idle. I always passed before with all my other mods and tune.

Anyone who has the same y-pipe and passed?

Also, what high-flow cats are other people using and passing the test.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Launching!

find private inspection place my guess is that you'l have better luck there
Old 09-04-2009, 02:36 PM
12 Second Club

Your cats are not heating up enough. If u can hit the highway ( heat the cats up ) before hooking things up with no delay, maybe you'll be lucky.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Banned

99SS is right. that sucks u get the sniffer test. i only have to do obd2 hook-up. so no engine lights = no problem. Anyway, you need to get the cats hot, hotter better.

also u can ad a lil isopropyl "rubbing" alcohol in u'r gas. use the 90 percent, it changes the chemical reaction in exhaust(it fakes the sniffer). i use 6-8 ounces alcohol with 1/4 tank gas. may run slightly rough but works
Old 09-04-2009, 07:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've got the TSP Y too and yeah, the cats are way too small for a sniffer test. My experience has been the opposite, Ive been ok at load but fail at idle. What worked for me is. 1/4 tank of fuel, add 1 large bottle of gas line antifreeze/methyl hydrate and lean out the idle a bit with HP tuners. I did this and barely passed with my cam last year. Next time I have to test I'm thinking of changing the whole system. I looked up the cats on Carsounds website once and they were described as "use for small displacement motors or pre-cats in a 4 cat system". Good luck.

Quick Reply: Failing emission test with TSP catted Y