Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Main Seal? Help a no0b out-

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 06:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Rear Main Seal? Help a no0b out-

Hey guys,

I have an ls1 out of a ws6 with 28k miles on it. I am throwing this motor into my rx7. Yesterday I had it at my shop and tilted the motor back with front of the engine up at about a 60 degree angle so I could get the motor mounts off for the swap.

While the engine was tilted back motor oil started pouring out of the back of the motor. There is no flywheel or flywheel nuts on the motor so it is naked out back. The oil was not dripping but more of a stream right around where the flywheel attaches.

I would assuming having sat for a few years the seal might have dried up and I just need a new one, but checking here first.

I am a rotorhead so I may ask some simple questions from time to time. Thanks guys.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

The holes for the flywheel bolts go straight through the crank so that's where the oil poured out from.

I would replace the rear main seal while it's opened up, they are very cheap.

Also inspect the plug in the center of the crank (behind the pilot bearing of you have a manual trans). If it hasn't been touched it's probably fine. Sometimes those get banged when the plot bearing is being removed and then it can be the source of an oil leak.

There are more threads on this stuff over in the trans rooms:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission-14/
Old 09-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Thats awesome man. Thanks for all of the help and the quick reply. I've been around the rx7club.com for years so it is good to be around this side of the street and get some help.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

No problem. I'll bet your car will be a blast to drive with the LS1, very cool project. There's a guy in the eastern room that has taken his rx7/LS1 auto crossing, looks like fun:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-m...y-ayer-ma.html