Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you identify this water pump pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 10:39 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Can you identify this water pump pulley?

I need help identifying this water pump pulley, it's most likely an aftermarket piece, but I'm not sure, that's the reason I'm asking here.

Here's a little background info. I'm putting an LS1 in a street rod, a '32 Ford 3 window coupe. Due to the limited engine compartment space, things get very tight and I need all the extra clearance I can get between the WP pulley and the radiator cooling fan. The water pump pulley in the pic is on another LS1 equipped '32 Ford but the owner didn't have any info because he didn't build the car, it was a 'check book car', all he did was write a check for it.

If anyone knows of a source for the thinnest water pump pulley available for a '00 LS1, that would be a huge help also.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Can you identify this water pump pulley?-img_0033-medium-.jpg  
Old 09-16-2009, 10:45 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That one looks like the 1998 bolt-on style water pump pulley. After that GM used the press-on pulley. Depending on your accessories, the narrowest water pump pulley is on the C6 LS2/LS3 style water pump I believe. Try the "Conversions/Hybrids" forum, it is about 4 forums down from this one. I can move this post if needed.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Joseph is correct...if the bell bolts on, it is 1997 or 1998 vintage.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:36 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks, I really appreciate your replies.

Are there any disadvantages to using the '98 pump on the '00 engine? Where can I find specs for the engine block to tip of pulley for both water pumps? I need a water pump with the shortest distant possible.

Mike

Last edited by Mike52; 09-17-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:33 AM

Nothing really, 97/98 pumps did use paper gaskets so the newer metal gaskets will cause the belt tensioner to be off about 1/8" forward, but no one ever notices that minor misalignment.

I'm not sure on dimensions, maybe someone has both and can check. I will look around and see if I have one but I doubt it.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a '98 water pump installed with metal gaskets and do not notice any misalignment. I find it a little hard to believe that the compressed height of the metal gasket is a full 1/8" different than the paper gaskets. Wouldn't such misalignment cause premature belt wear?
Old 09-17-2009, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by PAGregSS
I have a '98 water pump installed with metal gaskets and do not notice any misalignment. I find it a little hard to believe that the compressed height of the metal gasket is a full 1/8" different than the paper gaskets. Wouldn't such misalignment cause premature belt wear?
Next time you have it apart compare it to a 99+ water pump. It is different by the thickness of the captured o-ring aluminum gaskets. I'll give you an exact measurement after work.

I've checked about half a dozen cars, but your right, the tensioner wear offset is probably significantly more than the gasket difference. I first noticed the difference when installing A+A blower kits on 98 cars with metal gaskets, it caused a misalignment and spacing issues with the blower bracket that installs on the OEM belt tensioner location and the cylinder head.