Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Long Tube Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 10:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post SLP Long Tube Questions

I recently purchased a set of used slp long tubes for a very good price. However they did not come with a y-pipe or anything. The car they are going in is a 2001 b4c and I am removing the egr, air, cats... What are some of my options to go with and what works good for this setup as far as y-pipe, duals, etc... It will be a DD so I would like it if it wasn't ridiculously loud but I could definitely deal with it.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go true duals then you will almost need a custom setup. SLP just revised their longtubes not to long ago because they used to have really bad ground clearance issues. If you go ypipe, then it would be easiest to just go with the SLP y. It is made to fit to their headers and connect directly to the stock style catback location. If you go offroad y, i wouldn't get a loudmouth. It gets really damn raspy and pops a hell of alot. It is also the loudest catback you can buy hands down also which is not what you say you are looking for. GMMG, Magnaflow, Hooker, Borla, or Corsa are pretty good with any setup. It all depends on the money you want to pay for the catback though. Borla and Corsa are awesome, but rediculously expensive for what they are though. It will need a dynotune also, for sure.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I`m curious to know what Y-pipes will hook up to the Old style SLP LT`s.

OP: I`d suggest Magnaflow catback. It flows very well and is relatively quiet.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I have the old SLP lowtubes and a 3.5 mufflex exhaust system. I didn't even mess around trying to buy a Ypipe I just had an exhaust shop fab one up it was only like $200 dollars for the Ypipe. The only thing I bought separate was a flowmaster 3inch to 3.5inch merge collector.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have: Old SLP longtubes to the Y-pipe that came with them through 3" piping (no cats) run out back to a Magnaflow system. Quiet @ idle, loud and aggressive @ WOT. No Rasp.
Here's a little video so you get an idea of the sound, fast forward to about 5:08, it's the black SS doing the small burnout..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq2aChIo4yE

Last edited by kc533; 09-26-2009 at 03:15 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by transam69230
I have the old SLP lowtubes and a 3.5 mufflex exhaust system. I didn't even mess around trying to buy a Ypipe I just had an exhaust shop fab one up it was only like $200 dollars for the Ypipe. The only thing I bought separate was a flowmaster 3inch to 3.5inch merge collector.
I think I'm going to do this.

How well does the new Y-pipe tuck up? Are you able to lower the car now?
Old 09-26-2009, 04:42 PM
11 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

Yea, the car is lowered in the front I run strange coilovers. Just have to be carefully just like any other lowered car.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Yea, the car is lowered in the front I run strange coilovers. Just have to be carefully just like any other lowered car.
Could you grab some pictures of the Y-pipe and clearance? Thanks!
Old 09-26-2009, 05:40 PM
11 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

Sorry i can't the car is waiting a speed density tune so it doesn't run currently, and I can't get it out of the garage as there is boat in the way of it right now.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by DVS99TRANS
If you go true duals then you will almost need a custom setup. SLP just revised their longtubes not to long ago because they used to have really bad ground clearance issues. If you go ypipe, then it would be easiest to just go with the SLP y. It is made to fit to their headers and connect directly to the stock style catback location. If you go offroad y, i wouldn't get a loudmouth. It gets really damn raspy and pops a hell of alot. It is also the loudest catback you can buy hands down also which is not what you say you are looking for. GMMG, Magnaflow, Hooker, Borla, or Corsa are pretty good with any setup. It all depends on the money you want to pay for the catback though. Borla and Corsa are awesome, but rediculously expensive for what they are though. It will need a dynotune also, for sure.
he probably has the old LT's since be bought them used...
Old 09-26-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely, but I posted it up anyway. You never know, I have bought stuff and canned it days later.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Sorry i can't the car is waiting a speed density tune so it doesn't run currently, and I can't get it out of the garage as there is boat in the way of it right now.
No problem. Could you grab some pictures and PM them to me when you get your tune finished?
Old 09-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

Can I get just the y-pipe from slp? Everything I see on their website doesn't offer the y by itself or am I just blind.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:23 PM
Staging Lane

Apparently slp has discontinued this y-pipe which is about how my luck goes. Any suggestions what would fit or work with is or should I just get one made?
Old 09-30-2009, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

I am running the new SLP longtubes, SLP y-pipe, hi flow cats, and loudmouth II. I love the performance and sound, but be warned the loud mouth is very loud and does pop on deceleration. It is all a matter of preference I suppose. I have not had any ground clearance issues with stock height.

If I was you I would have a shop make a custom y-pipe. If I do ever do it again I will have a custom x-pipe to true dual bullets set-up for better sound and power.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

And they are the old style low tubes. Any feedback on the dynomax bullets? I know that they are priced pretty cheap but do they hold up and sound good? I would just like some honest opinions on them I have never used any dynomax stuff before.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by horsepower_junkie
Apparently slp has discontinued this y-pipe which is about how my luck goes. Any suggestions what would fit or work with is or should I just get one made?
I'm really not sure if anyone makes a Y-pipe that will work with them.

I'd really like to know if there are - the SLP one is terrible!