Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake Bolt hole obstruction. How to clean "cleanly"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Intake Bolt hole obstruction. How to clean "cleanly"?

After mounting my brand used AFR 205's tonight, I go to put my intake on, and one of the bolts will only go into the head about half way. I get the ol' bore light out, and it reveals some fawkered up threads on down the hole. I do a little investigating, and find that these holes dump right into the oil passage.

What can I do to clean the hole without dropping debris into my oil? I REALLY don't want to take my heads off. (new ARP bolts, new cometic gaskets-might as well be made of gold!)

I thought about the idea of a tap, but I don't think my engine would like metal shavings. Let me know what you think would be the best alternative here.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the correct tap and some medium bodied (light textured, a soft/sticky kind) grease and coat the tap flutes with it. The chips will stick to the grease in the flutes.
Hopefully it will contain all the debris.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Weezzer
Get the correct tap and some medium bodied (light textured, a soft/sticky kind) grease and coat the tap flutes with it. The chips will stick to the grease in the flutes.
Hopefully it will contain all the debris.
Oh buddy this makes me nervous. I'm a huge advocate for doing stuff right though. I'll let you know if my engine grenades. And send you the bill. Haha, Jk. .................kinda
Old 09-25-2009, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just do it in intervals. Do it a 1/4 the way pull out clean off the tap. Continue down till it reaches end. This way the flutes dont have all the crud at once.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by robsls1
Just do it in intervals. Do it a 1/4 the way pull out clean off the tap. Continue down till it reaches end. This way the flutes dont have all the crud at once.
I'm borrowing a Tap Set from a friend. I appreciate the advice.