Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pacesetter LT, Texas Speed ORY, magnaflow

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did my pacesetter lt's and tsp ory last wednesday, no cutting involved at all. the y pipe was a little hard but i like there newly designed ory. mine sounds pretty good, i also installed a DMH e-cutout tho
Old 09-29-2009, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i actually ended up having to take my cat back off to get it to fit to the ory.

Not to hijack but do any of you who replaced to motor mounts when you did this install have a slight rubbing? i thought the motor mounts were supposed to stop that. or do they just help reduce it?
Old 09-29-2009, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Did the headers and Y not come with any clamps?
Old 09-30-2009, 01:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Off topic. But, donman, are you from Galesburg, IL?
Old 09-30-2009, 03:50 AM
Teching In

Also, I noticed you had 2 clamps on the y pipe just before it merges... is it a 2 piece y pipe or what?
I like that style of band clamps you got, I'm assuming they either don't send clamps with the y pipe or they wern't any good? Will those also fit at the header to y-pipe merge?
So... correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like it takes 5 clamps all together??
2 - off of the headers
2 - on the y pipe
1 - y-pipe to cat back ?
Sorry so many questions, just getting ready to gather up everything I need for the install before I start. Want to make sure I have everything I need.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tspence45
Off topic. But, donman, are you from Galesburg, IL?
Yes I am, I see you are close by...

Don
Old 09-30-2009, 07:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by haddockWS6
Did the headers and Y not come with any clamps?
The headers did not come with clamps. They came with header bolts, washers, wires to extend O2's (do it youself). I bought extensions for the o2's. They also came with gaskets ( I bought the GM ones) and a blockoff plate for the EGR. They also came with the AIR gaskests and EGR gasket.

The Y-pipe came with 2 band clamps (I would assume for the header to Y-pipe connection. They also came with 5 old style muffler clamps. I did not want to use those and damage where everthing fits together. Since those Jegs ones were cheap I bought thos. They are real thin compaired to the two band clamps that came from Texas Speed.

I wanted to be able to take things apart in the future in case I need to put a catted Y-pipe in.

Don
Old 09-30-2009, 07:55 AM
On The Tree

Haddock,

Let me count :-)

The drviers side Y-pipe has two pieces before it gets to the merge. So 1 at collector (band), 1 where the two pieces fit together, and 1 where it connect to the merge.

so that is 3 so far...

Passenger side has one piece then the merge..So 1 at collector (band), 1 where it connects to merge.

I received 2 band clamps and I believe 5 muffler clamps (I will look it might have been 4).

I am going to use the one that came with the catback where the Y-pipe and I-pipe merge. I bought three 3" band clamps from Jegs to handle the pieces of the Y-pipe.

No problems on the questions..When the Y-pipe came, I saw the muffler clamps and knew I was not going to use them. Jegs got me my clamps in two days which was fine since it took me more than that to do the mounts (I was not in a hurry and they were a bitch).

Feel free to ask away....

Don
Old 09-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Teching In

Thanks, that answers my questions.
I was worried that they would come with the old style muffler clamp like you mentioned, and I didn't want to use them for the same reason. They crimp the pipes down and make it unremovable, which I may also have to do at a later time. Think I'm gonna go the route you did and get the jegs band clamps for the back 3.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by donman
Yes I am, I see you are close by...

Don
Well that's cool. You don't see too many people from close to our area on here, other than a few in the QC. Hopefully I'll see you around Galesburg sometime and get to hear your exhaust. I'm sure I've seen your car around, because I've seen a CETA T/A around Galesburg many times at car shows and stuff, and there can't be too many in the area.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

I am sure I will se ya around. I usually head over to Monmouth for the Monmouth College football games...and some car shows around here. Haven't been to to many this year. Too much stuff going on..

LAter

Don
Old 09-30-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mumbles
I'm with these guys. I'd love to hear how it sounds as well.

This past winter we installed Jet Hot LT's & ORY, and Magnaflow Catback on a friends 98 Z28. It sounds awesome, but the Jet Hot ORY doesn't have the Flowmaster Merge Like the new TSP ORY. So I'm really curious if it sounds any different. I'm sure the merge on the TSP ORY flows way better than the one on the Jet Hot, as well. We may have to upgrade to the better merge for this coming winter's project. LOL

Unless Jet Hot changed the design of their ORY there is a huge difference in sound. I had that exact same setup and it had some rasp and was higher pitched. The Jet hot ORY actually broke at the merge so I had a custom y-pipe made with a much better merge and the tone is much deeper with no tinny metalic sound like it had before. No rasp either.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wait a minute. That is a TSP ory? Is that the merge that came with it?
Old 09-30-2009, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

DaveX,

Yes that is the merge that came with it. I can take a better picture if you like, I just took the whole damn thing off since I was having problems getting everything to fit using the band clamps that came with it..

Don
Old 09-30-2009, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by donman
DaveX,

Yes that is the merge that came with it. I can take a better picture if you like, I just took the whole damn thing off since I was having problems getting everything to fit using the band clamps that came with it..

Don
Thanks but won't be necessary. I heard they changed their ORY but hadn't seen pics. The merge looks to be much improved over the original design. I had one on my car for a while but took it off in favor of the pacesetter for improved ground clearance. My car is really low. But I was/am not happy with the merge on either. I will have to give TSP a call and get one of these if this is what they are now shipping. I will modify it slightly for ground clearance, and probably cut it right past the merge and weld in a 4" cutout, then reduce it to 3" behind that for the catback. I was actually planning to install a flowmaster merge in my current Y because I think it is holding my car back, but this would be cheaper and much easier and I think flow just as well.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

By the way, from the pics it looks like yours is hanging really low on the driver's side. You might need to rotate the pipe that is connected to the header on this side for improved ground clearance, and likely the whole thing will fit together better.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DaveX
By the way, from the pics it looks like yours is hanging really low on the driver's side. You might need to rotate the pipe that is connected to the header on this side for improved ground clearance, and likely the whole thing will fit together better.
DaveX,

Thanks for the tips. I was wondering about that side being low. I did take it all back apart tonight so I will adjust the drivers side. I wasn't sure how much clearance to leave there. I don't want to hear any banging :-). I did do the poly mounts also..

It has taken longer than I hoped..

There is another thread going that -Q- and I are doing the same project at the same time. I am anxious to hear about his progress tonight. I would really love to finish this thing up. I tried some things differently from the way he was doing it tonight and got stuck. Sounds like he is moving along a little better..

Thanks

Don
Old 10-01-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think it will really only fit together one way, and the clearance will end up to be very little between the driver's side pipe and the floorboard. Rotating the pipe in an effort to gain clearance will cause fitment issues. If you look at the clearances stamped in the floorboard above the pipe, when it is assembled correctly the pipe will be tucked up high an you will not be able to see those. It has to be this way to have a reasonable amount of ground clearance on lowered cars. With poly mounts you should be ok with 1/2" or so clearance, possibly a bit less. If you rotate the pipe coming of the driver's side header until it tucks up high, it will go together as it should. Also make sure the slip joints are together as far as possible, particularly on the headers. The Y is a very tight fit here and if you don't have them slid on all the way it will cause problems further down.

Good luck with it... your almost there.

Last edited by DaveX; 10-01-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:19 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don, you making progress? I can still get a picture of the drivers side if you need. I'm going down to try to fine tune the adjustments on the cat-back and passenger side Y now.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by -Q-
Don, you making progress? I can still get a picture of the drivers side if you need. I'm going down to try to fine tune the adjustments on the cat-back and passenger side Y now.
-Q-

I made a lot of progress tonight. A buddy showed up so I could tell my options, we drank a few beers and that helped :-)

I took the Y-pipe completely apart. Then I put the pieces in and went around the pipes with a sharpie. That way when I put them back together I would know they were all the way in. I measured from where the original bracket would have been to the end of the merge, I was a little long..

So I went back under there on a mission. I put the Y-pieces together so they were at or very near the sharpie marks. Then I clamped them with the band clamps. I adjusted the drivers side so it was closer to the floor board like suggested. Then I put the i-pipe on and connected the over the axle pipe. I could not get the bracket close enough to the bolt on the hanger by the frame. So I took the I-pipe out and cut 3/4" off the I-pipe where it connects to the merge. I still had plenty of room at the i-pipe/y-pipe merge for it to fit together. Next I took a grinder with a metal cutting wheel and made the slots on the I-pipe longer, since I cut 3/4" of it off. That way the band clamp that came with the cat-back would still work. I put that back on and hung the muffler and tips. It was close enough that I went back to the front and I was able to use the band clamps on the collectors. I started at the front and tightened all the clamps towards the back and finally the muffler clamps.

I am not happy right now with the way my tips look. So I will need to adjust those, but I was able to take it around the block and it sounds nice. It is raining here, so I couldn't do much more...

Once I get my tips looking nice, I will get a video up on how it sounds. It really sounds a lot meaner. If I put a video up now, I would get the, hey your tips need adjusted posts :-)

Next message will be some pictures the show the clearance.

Thanks for everyone giving hints and tips...I would like to say I cut the 3/4" off, but that could because I didn't do something right. I wanted to use the band clamps at the collectors and this was the only way I could get it to work.

Thanks

Don

Last edited by donman; 10-01-2009 at 10:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Pacesetter LT, Texas Speed ORY, magnaflow