Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thermostat install.... need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 07:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thermostat install.... need help!!

so i ordered a 160 degree hyperstat thinking that i could use the hypertech programmer i have to tune it.... well i found out the programmer i have will not work on my 02.... i should get the thermostat in the mail anyday so my question is should i go ahead and install it or wait til i have a way to tune for it... and the main question is what would be the best and cheapest way to tune it for the new stat? btw i dont have anywhere in my area to get a dyno tune right now...
Old 09-27-2009, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Good question. I am picking up my 160 stat on Monday. I would like an answer to the same question.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

I dont think that it would hurt anything to go ahead and install it, but if I were you Id just wait it doesnt take long at all to throw it in there. Has your car already been tuned for the mods you have now? If not got pay a good tuner to tune the car its worth it, I was full bolt ons for a year without a tune and the tune really tapped into the cars potential. If you have then I would just contact your tuner and have him lower the fan temps, just takes a few minutes.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't use it till you get the fans programmed to come on earlier. It will...in almost all cases, make you run hotter than before.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jrob56
I dont think that it would hurt anything to go ahead and install it, but if I were you Id just wait it doesnt take long at all to throw it in there. Has your car already been tuned for the mods you have now? If not got pay a good tuner to tune the car its worth it, I was full bolt ons for a year without a tune and the tune really tapped into the cars potential. If you have then I would just contact your tuner and have him lower the fan temps, just takes a few minutes.
yeah figured since it doesnt take long to put on i would just wait until i could get it tuned somewhere..... the problem is i don't know or have anyone to tune my car.... there is nobody near my area that has a dyno.... it's looking like i'm just gonna have to break down and buy a handheld tuner on ebay or somethin
Old 09-28-2009, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by brandon_01_ta
yeah figured since it doesnt take long to put on i would just wait until i could get it tuned somewhere..... the problem is i don't know or have anyone to tune my car.... there is nobody near my area that has a dyno.... it's looking like i'm just gonna have to break down and buy a handheld tuner on ebay or somethin
handhelds are pretty worthless, you dont necessarily need a dynotune, the same can be accomplished by data logging on the street. i would post up in the local section on this board and ask for closest reputable tuner to you and make a drive if necessary its worth every penny! most retune for much less too when you decide to mod the car further.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS6427
Don't use it till you get the fans programmed to come on earlier. It will...in almost all cases, make you run hotter than before.

not really. i installed mine and even with the dummy gauges that the later models have, it still shows under the halfway mark, and i live in the desert. and i haven't been tuned yet
Old 09-28-2009, 09:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS6427

horse ****

ran mine on stock fan temps in florida heat for 3yrs with no issues. ran one on my LT1 for 3 yrs on stock fan temps with no issues. ran one in my 305 TPI for 5yrs on stock fans temps with no issues.

i just don't see how you think the lower stat is going to allow your car to heat up HIGHER than the fan settings....assuming the rest of the coolant system is in working order.

a 160 stat wide open at 210 deg is gonna flow the same as a 195 stat wide open at 210 deg.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lower 'stat will not help you at all, send it back.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Lower 'stat will not help you at all, send it back.
how is that my car definitely runs cooler! 1)the "dummy" gauge actually reads lower, i will be using my buddies scan tool to verify this. 2)the other way i know is my tuner went ahead and lowered my fan temps for me as my tstat hadnt arrived yet. for that whole week the fans were always on, anytime i came to a stop they were already on. then i put in the tstat and its back to normal fans seldom come on unless its real hot and the car sits for a long time. so the car is def running cooler!
Old 09-28-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Junkie

i think he might mean it doesn't really gain you much power.

but there is the chance that you could prevent detonation if you run a more aggressive tune. so in a way it's possible to pull some more power out of the engine with the aid of other modification.

but the stat alone won't add 10hp or some BS like that.

for my locale...i like having the cooler setup
Old 09-28-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

u dont have to get a Dyno tune for a Thermostat. it's just a T-stat!
this mod is Not worthless, but u probably wont see any HP gains.
but anything to keep the engine cooler is a Good thing.

u wouldnt get a Tune just for a new Air Filter, would ya? it same difference

Last edited by 01'SSLSX; 09-29-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

sorry wasn't saying you did.

was saying that you will see very minimal gains in power with the stat.

BUT down the road if you DO get a tune, its possible you can run a more aggressive tune due to running a cooler engine. so in that sense you can gain power from having the cooler stat.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:48 PM
Launching!

i wasn't expecting any hp gains from the t-stat i bought it primarily because i was going to use the hypertech programmer and it works best with a 160* t-stat.... that plus the fact that it's better for the motor..... but anyway i found a speed shop pretty close to where i live that specializes in f-bodies so i'm just gonna hold off on putting in the t-stat cause i plan on getting LT's and an ORY within a couple months... so i'm just gonna wait til i get them put on and take it to the shop for a dyno tune
Old 09-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Teching In

I was just curious as to wether I needed to wait to install t-stat until I could get my Fan switch temp changed. Thanks for the info all.