Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Borla XR1-Borlamouth impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Installed Borla XR1-Borlamouth impressions

I finally installed my Borla XR1 in place of my resonator. I have longtubes with a 3" y-pipe that meets into a 4" flowmaster collector AND THEN goes into a 4" to 3" reducer- no cats.
Everything I read about the XR1 said that it would be quiet at idle but still loud up top because of the straight through design. I wanted it to be quiet because it wasn't much quieter than open headers.
I'm very happy with it. It is exactly as described. I was amazed at how quiet it is at idle (ALOT louder than a LM with stock manifolds and cats but like I said not even close to the open headers.) It is very quiet in the car now and there is no resonance at all! Also, rasp is practically non existant. As far as WOT, it actually sounds nice! It has a tone to it now. Its no Mustang but it's defenitely the best sounding exhaust I've heard on an LS1. The sound is deep and the tone is mean. The cam lope doesn't hurt either.
My only complaint is now I can hear the valvetrain and the damn headers. I always heard about hearing the headers in the car and now I know what they were talking about. Is there anyway to get rid of it? I'm guessing dynamatt or some kind of sound deadening on the firewall.

Last edited by SStolen; 12-03-2003 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:59 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool, glad you like it! I sure like mine also; I think mine might be even more quiet at idle because I have the offset oval XR1, not the round. I hear the exhaust pulsing through the headers also, but it doesn't bother me. I don't know what you could do about it anyway, except maybe the sound insulation stuff like you sugest.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Cal. You are actually the reason I deicded to go with the XR1. You had so many good thing to say about it that I was too curious to not go through with it. But, I couldn't be happier! I'm actually excited to drive my car again... and, without getting pulled over . I still can't get over how quiet it is in the car, its perfect. The cabin is quiet, the resonance is gone, there is NO rasp and it actually sounds good. I've been staying in my gears a little longer today just so I could hear the exhaust as I rowed through them, its like music.
Also, big thanks to Crager (Texas Moderator.) We had a good chat about it too, really cool guy.
One more thing, it looks freakin badass under the car! The muffler has polished ends on it and will blind you when your driving behind it with the headlights on. My car looks badass from the rear now. All you see is some fat 315's, shiny muffler and red suspension pieces. The rod ends look pretty trick between the Relocation brackets too. All I need now is a pretty TA Cover with some 4.10's in it
Old 12-04-2003, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does it sound like regular borla at all? cause i thought about using the xr1 but i dont want it if it sounds like regular borla, cause i think it sounds like *** and it pops a crap-ton.

Quick Reply: Installed Borla XR1-Borlamouth impressions