Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Look at my PCV "System" ..?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 11:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Look at my PCV "System" ..?

It's been like this since I bought the car.. I'm being told it's very harmful.

Everything's plugged. These are old pics of the engine bay, but you can still see. The car is a 99 WS6 with an LS6 intake conversion.

Pics:

Help?
Old 10-08-2009, 01:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A lot of good info here.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...outing-ok.html
Old 10-08-2009, 05:01 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the link. So I shouldn't just hook it back up like stock? I need a catch can?

Any idea why it would've been disabled in the first place?
Old 10-08-2009, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
Thanks for the link. So I shouldn't just hook it back up like stock? I need a catch can?

Any idea why it would've been disabled in the first place?
my guess would be the previous owners was sick of his car burning oil like a 2 stroke. without a very good catch can your sucking a pretty good amount of oil into the intake. even with a good setup your still getting some. mine is capped and the valve covers are vented with breathers. no more oil consumption
Old 10-08-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

dont forget to buy a PCV valve as i dont see one there
i got my catch can from Elite Engineering
Old 10-08-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm happy with the catch-can I have in mine.
http://www.mikenorrismotorsports.com...atch_Cans.html
Old 10-08-2009, 03:13 PM
11 Second Club

Outkast could you tell me some more info? Where do you have breathers?

Should I hook up a catch can or do what outkast is doing? It's definitely consuming oil, after a few months my low oil light will pop on.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

this is a debate that will go on forever. i have a breather on each valve cover and all intake ports capped off. people will tell you your oil will turn acidic and eat your bearings if you don't run a PCV system. for me i decided that i'd rather change my oil than burn it. i can tell you that i haven't seen any difference in the smell or color of my oil
Old 10-08-2009, 05:09 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by outkast6991
this is a debate that will go on forever. i have a breather on each valve cover and all intake ports capped off. people will tell you your oil will turn acidic and eat your bearings if you don't run a PCV system. for me i decided that i'd rather change my oil than burn it. i can tell you that i haven't seen any difference in the smell or color of my oil
I tried capping everything off with just a breather on my valley cover port and on one valve cover. I did this a few months ago just as an experiment.
After 4+ weeks of heavy driving my oil was 100% perfect as far as visually, color was normal like its always been and there was not a drop of water in it when I drained it after 4+ weeks.

BUT.....there is no question about it that moisture and acids do build up and attaches itself to all the parts inside the engine after shutdown each time. If that moisture is allowed to build up like that it ends up running through the oil next time you start the cold engine and its not good for the bearings. Then the moisture will burn off after about 15-20 minutes of driving and you'll just have oil in there. But if you do short drives and the moisture doesn't have a chance to burn off, your killing your bearings little by little.

I tried a few other experiments and have come up with my final set-up that works for ME......

Breather on my drivers side valve cover to intake fresh air....

PCV line hooked up to the lower intake vacuum port to suck crankcase gases from the passenger side valve cover port....with a PCV valve in that short 8" long hose....

Valley cover port is capped.....top TB port is capped...

I also took a clamp and put it on that 8" long PCV line and I can tighten it or loosen it the way I want to adjust how hard the suction is. The way it is from the factory is just way too much IMO. So mine is at about 1/4 strength.

No oil goes into my intake this way....or at least not a measurable amount. I took a clear hose and absolutely nothing can be seen going through it. No need for a catch can either. My internals are protected from moisture and acids building up.

Best of both worlds. For my engine anyway.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:13 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the input. Do you have any pics of this setup? I'd be able to understand better visually lol.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:54 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
Thanks for the input. Do you have any pics of this setup? I'd be able to understand better visually lol.
I used a fuel filter for the breather on the drivers side valve cover. Just took that small rubber hose I bought and pushed it in. Then drilled a hole in my valve cover grommet and pushed it in. Its very tight.

Then you see the PCV line connected to the lower vacuum intake port. I took a small 1/4" hose and put it inside the PCV valve housing and clamped it, then put the other end inside the 3/8" hose and clamped it. Then ran it to the passenger side valve cover port.

I can tighten or loosen the clamp on the 3/8" hose side to whatever flow rate I want. I can turn it off completely too by turning it like 4 turns.

I'm not done yet....I have another experiment coming up using a vacuum pump and capping off the intake totally.

Attached Thumbnails Look at my PCV "System" ..?-filter.diameter.jpg   Look at my PCV "System" ..?-filter.length.jpg   Look at my PCV "System" ..?-filter.hose.jpg   Look at my PCV "System" ..?-filter.hose.plug.together.jpg   Look at my PCV "System" ..?-valvecover.filter.jpg  

Look at my PCV "System" ..?-hose.pcvvalve.jpg   Look at my PCV "System" ..?-dsc01934.jpg  

Quick Reply: Look at my PCV "System" ..?