Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

detonation or rattle after air system removed

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default detonation or rattle after air system removed

I don't suppose that my recent removal of the air pump system on my 01' z28 has anything to do my car now having a rattle or ping at part and full throttle acceleration..........its fairly noticeable. No engine lights have come on yet. Has anyone had a similiar experience? Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-08-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

any chance you have a leak at the block off plates? it could sound like a rapid tick
Old 10-08-2009, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by outkast6991
any chance you have a leak at the block off plates? it could sound like a rapid tick

Naw......the plates are snug, the sound is definitely detonation, a random rattle under acceleration, load. I will make time Friday afternoon when I get up (3rd shift) to put a scanner on it, the plan is also to pull out a spark plug or two and examine them. I realize it can be many things including as simple (but not probable) as a bad tank of gas.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 10-09-2009, 05:43 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its possible its the cats rattling. The air pumps job is to make sure the cats are up to temp quickly and stay clean and alive. Without it they can get overheated and damaged then they will rattle when the guts get all fubared.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

Cats are burnt out or atleast 1 is. I had the same issue on my 2k TA. I put on SLP headers and removed the AIR system. 2-3 months later I had a rattle I couldnt find at first. Called SLP and I was told to check the cats. I burnt out the passenger side cat. When it was cool it would make no noise. Once it was hot RATTLE RATTLE RATTLE. SLP replaced the Cat under warranty even though I bought the headers used.