Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ported my BBK throttle body today

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ported my BBK throttle body today

Today I felt like doing something creative and usefull. I never liked the way the 80mm BBK tb is on the inlet so I decided to smooth it all out and hope that it helps it flow a little better. I also did the knife edge mod but couldnt get a good pic of it. This only took a few hrs and I also deleted my egr by pluging the intake with a rubber freeze plug and got a 3/4 metal freeze plug and put it in the exhaust side so it dont leak. Im going to try to see if I can come up with a resister to use to trick the ecu to think the egr is still there.

Ported my BBK throttle body today-079.jpg

Ported my BBK throttle body today-080.jpg

Ported my BBK throttle body today-081.jpg

Ported my BBK throttle body today-082.jpg
Old 10-09-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also ported a couple of BBK throttle bodies a while back.I ported them more after I got my heads and cam, etc,+ tuning.They are ported more than the one in your picture.If their ported too much on a bolt on car they lose some power in the lower rpm range.(2000-35000).I can deffinately notice the difference from the stock ones.You really notice the difference in the ported BBK's after you do a cam and heads swap.
I recommend you don't port them too much on a bolt on car.My friends BBK is ported more than mine.He also has a hotter cam and better heads(AFR).If you have a ls6 intake this setup works pretty well.If you don't have the funds for a
fast 90 this is a good setup for you.

Last edited by transwiz; 10-09-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

I didnt really open it up I just blended it all out to the outside edge and smoothed and polished it since I know that being too big would hurt more than help. I just didnt like how the blade is off center and bbk only polished half of the opening I thought it should be more symmetrical. I also noticed mine dont have the hole in the blade but it seems to idle and run fine. Should it have a hole but did the previous owner compensate by adjusting the throttle blade?
Old 10-10-2009, 12:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If it seems to run and idle fine than leave it alone.I drilled a hole in the one I have on my car now.My dyno tuner said it would idle better.On start up my car would idle too low for at least a few of minutes.The one on my friends car does not have a hole drilled and it runs and idles fine.On some BBK's you can adjust it to compensate and on some others you have to drill the hole.I have had good results with ported BBK throttle bodys.Mark Shaner ported the first one that I gave to my friend.He smoother out the two I have and then I ported and polished them myself a lot more.

Last edited by transwiz; 10-10-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

It was easy for the most part as long as you have the right tools and ive got this fine grit sanding wheel that fits in my die grinder that does a really good job but most of the work was done with two different carbide bits.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Today I got to drive the car with it finally being dry out and it seems to have better throttle response and spins the tires a bit easier in second gear without dumping the clutch. I really cant say I got 10 hp or anything but it does feel better. I noticed when I started it in the morning it has a high idle untill it warms up and it never did that before. Is it because the throttle body is clean around the blade or would the egr delete have something to do with that?
Old 10-10-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

Its kinda bad that an aftermarket TB can be/have to be improved upon.
Nice work BTW.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:34 PM
11 Second Club

Default werd

Originally Posted by Bo White
Its kinda bad that an aftermarket TB can be/have to be improved upon.
Nice work BTW.
had the same thought......
Old 10-10-2009, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

Have you ever seen a bbk 80 mm tb? This is how they look. See how much material is on the bottom of the inlet on the pic.

Last edited by ls1kbush; 10-10-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

found a better pic
Old 10-10-2009, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You are realistically going to get about 5hp with porting one of these on your car.You have to adjust the alien screw on the throttle lever for the idle.I still have my egr so I can't say if that has anything to do with.After I do porting or whatever I will drive the car about 50 miles with different driving conditions three sperate times.That way the computer will re-learn the parameters and run a lot better.

It's funny that you have to port an aftermarket TB but the BBK is one of the first aftermarket pieces available.As you can see by the pictures they are not exactly shaped and smoothed inside.After I did the other mods I noticed the difference a little more.
That's when I ported the hell out of mine.Some people like them and some hate them.You get a lot of varing comments with the BBK's.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

Ive seen plenty, ported plenty of em in the day.

Quick Reply: Ported my BBK throttle body today