Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you have a a nice deep tone TD set up....come on in.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99WS7
2000 SS...well I think the connection is getting better here cause I was actually able to view your vid, sounds pretty good. I see you went H-pipe style and not X-pipe. Why did you do that? That's another thing Im considering too. Ive heard the X will savage better but the H will sound deeper?? Like I mentioned before Im going to go over the axle and out the back with my set up but on a camaro I would dump it for sure, I think maros just look better dumped unless they do the CME tips. Anyway, what cam/heads is that...you seem to have a similar problem as mine where the exhaust does some searching when you start it or rev it, I could hear it searching real bad at the end of your vid, mine does that **** too.
Mine only surged because it had a not-so-great mail order tune in it just to get it running. The heads were PRC Stage 2.5 5.3 heads with Speed Inc.'s SI5 cam, 231/237 .589/.595 112.

The differences between a X and H pipe on a setup like that are negligable. Two identical cars side by side, one with a X pipe and one with a H pipe, will run identically in the real world. They WILL sound a little different, but the H-pipe is going to give you the rumble you want. Muffle choice is really all you have left to make.

Another problem, from what i understand, is you want equal length pipe on each side from the header collector to the X crossover. This is difficult if not impossible to make fit in a F-body due to space constraints. But again, the gains/losses are negligable, from what i understand.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by camarolover
I just put texas speed TD on my trans am with moroso spiral flow mufflers and full length pacesetter headers and if you are after deep throaty sound with no rasp this is it.I was skeptical at first but as it turned out they rock.
One of the best sounding LSx cars I have heard was running a similiar setup.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

2000 ss - thanks for the info

and about the morso spirals Im a little concerned on how well those will flow...I bet they help with low end though with giving some good back pressure but the big end prob not so good...who knows.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:16 PM
12 Second Club

duals with an h-pipe and 1 chamber flowmasters here...and I LOVE IT...look up jmm98ls1..he used to have a some good videos that captured the deep sound very well...i cant get a decent camera to capture how deep my exhaust sounds.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Single chambers sounded great on my LT1, with an X-pipe. I've got the same setup going on the Trans Am, tomorrow, but with an H-pipe. H-pipe's are supposed to give it a little deeper sound, so hopefully, it'll sound even better than my LT1 Camaro did. Here's a vid of how my LT1 sounded with them. It was nice and deep. I loved it.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/9...ust_192864.htm
Old 10-18-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have hooker aerochamber mufflers on my duals with dynatech turndowns/cone inserts welded in them. It sounds very mellow, and quite at cruising for my combo. It would def be to quite on a near stock car though.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3" duals, flowmaster d-port merge, 1 chambers........

Idle:
http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k5...nt=370idle.flv
Old 10-19-2009, 09:40 AM
10 Second Club

From inside the car at track:

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k5...HPT10-1-09.flv
Old 10-19-2009, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

damn you shift fast!!
car has an awesome sound to it
Old 10-19-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stepped Edelbrock headers & (Just like jmm98LS1) I also have 3" td's with 1-chambers & Flowmaster d-port merge. Here's a link to that merge HERE
Very deep, gets lots of compliments
Old 10-19-2009, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

jimmypop...those look pretty interesting. Only thing is they look to be pretty long too..just curious what kind of #'s/track times are you making with your set up, your cam specs are kind of similar to the ms3 which I run and I have fast90 and 3.90s as well. You got any pics of your set up from under the car?
I may have a video but I don't have any pics. I'll have to look. The body on my mufflers is only 16" long. They come in several sizes. Short dynomax bullets are 12" so it's not too much of a difference. I'll have to look for the vids
Old 10-19-2009, 03:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by camarolover
I just put texas speed TD on my trans am with moroso spiral flow mufflers and full length pacesetter headers and if you are after deep throaty sound with no rasp this is it.I was skeptical at first but as it turned out they rock.
I've got the same exact setup, perfect sound imo.

Only problem I have is the contact with the torque arm, plus they do hang a little on the low side but it's managable imo, worth it for the sound
Old 10-19-2009, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
Damn, you can shift! What kinda shifter do you have? I feel like my shifter holds me back from shifting fast cuz its so damn notchy.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

my sound clip of TSP and bullets, no cats, pacesetter LT's, dumped. car is also running a 224r 114lsa cam + some bolt-ons. 375 rwhp 370rwtq on 87 oct, running 93 now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1zk-tqQdX8

same set up as above, minus cam. normal driving + WOT, in car vid.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/l...als_691869.htm

also OP u will never find exactly what u r looking for until u listen to these exhaust set ups in person. digital camera audio just can't handle the bass that these exhaust systems are pumping out. so go out and find ls1's with TD's in person. i think you will find that any 3" TD set up will have a copious amount deep tone, regardless of muffler.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

tspence - that sounded really good!

jmm98ls1 - thanks for posting those vids...that does sound pretty good. Im starting to kind of like Flowmasters the more I hear them. The last vid was sick, you could really hear and see the rpms go up with the juice on. Do you have a part number to the muffler you are using...there is a lot of 1 chambers and I never knew anything about this D port tech they used...guess its helps with better scavenging of the exhaust so thats a plus.

vtc - also thanks for posting up those pics. Ive heard a lot of peeps say they like the sound of the tsp TDs with some flows...only thing I don't like how low they hang, my car is already low and I have a horrible steep driveway so I gota go with a custom set up. Also like your plate cover too...! So did you notice any back pressure issues with those spiral mufflers?

I think right now im debating on
1. Flowmaster 1 chamber
2. Magnaflow magnapacks
3. moroso spiral flow mufflers - after hearing a few vids...
4. Dnynomax bullets

damn this is hard!!
Old 10-19-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

o hey, i asked this in the TD sticky, but what are some good 3" inlet tips for a full length TD set up? all i have found so far are oval tips and i don't care for the oval tip.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

jbird...that link you posted, so thats the hardware your suppose to use for the d port?? Im confused.

brian - your exactly right man and trust me I know that...right now searching around the net is the best I can do though as Im military and not home so I dont know anyone here in this little TX town and know one that I know of in Tucson is running true duals. Its all good though...I have it narrowed down to what I want and I know it will be a HUGE improvement over my POS RASPY ORY...
Old 10-19-2009, 04:51 PM
TECH Addict

well i'm in houston/galveston area. there are PLENTY of people around me running TD's. i have heard just about all of the mufflers your are considering in person. the only one i'de suggest against is the flowmaster single chamber. only because i can't stand something about the way chambered mufflers sound, but thats just me. some people swear by them. plus its flowmaster, every body and their redneck brother has flowmasters. just my .02
Old 10-19-2009, 05:01 PM
10 Second Club

jmm98ls1 - thanks for posting those vids...that does sound pretty good. Im starting to kind of like Flowmasters the more I hear them. The last vid was sick, you could really hear and see the rpms go up with the juice on. Do you have a part number to the muffler you are using...there is a lot of 1 chambers and I never knew anything about this D port tech they used...guess its helps with better scavenging of the exhaust so thats a plus.
No problem!

Summit racing part numbers
D-port merge: FLO-15933
mufflers: FLO-9430109
Old 10-19-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

jbird...that link you posted, so thats the hardware your suppose to use for the d port?? Im confused.
Yeah, thats the whole td setup with the d-port merge. It was a link to the same part # FLO-15933 that jmm98LS1 just posted. I used that kit, 2 1-chamber mufflers and 2 turn downs.

Quick Reply: If you have a a nice deep tone TD set up....come on in.