Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Installed BBK Intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by captainstalin`
anyone else have issues with the screws holding the underpiece on coming undone?
YES!! That is the one problem I had with this intake... engine vibrations loosen the port plate screws and they eventually fall out. I kept hearing this "hum" noise come from the intake area for months. Finally got around to taking it off and found about 6 of the screws just laying in my valley cover. When re-installing it, I put some blue locktite on each of the little screws. Been about 8 months or so... no problems since...
Old 10-30-2009, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is exactly what I did on my weiand, I had read a lot of good threads on LS1 tech and did it on the first install, I hope it holds.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, looks really good scott. ya I liked the way it looked on my car too. You got that on fast, I was gona text you after you picked it up but forgot.
My car had the LS6 coolent tubes stock, but the full 97-00 ones are a little better. Its been tested and the rear cly run 15* hotter then the fronts with the flowing coolent tubes, vs the block off plates. It dose fit under the BBK you have to remove the green clips off the knock sencor wires, and the rubber taped to the wires. And like others said just tap the "I" down so its tight on the valley cover. If you have milled heads check it out better but on stock heads there room for the tubes to fit under there.
But what everyone else said, I just ran it for some dyno pulls, and was gona port it if I had time. The lower cover screws I'd put a dot of blue locktight on, I have seen then come loose after a summer.
Good choice on the cam
Old 10-30-2009, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by hlaalu
good looking intake. they make a polished one too if i recall?
Yes the used to, but stoped about a year ago NewEra only has the new Titanium powercoat finish, thats very durable for the $399.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, My first major mod , had to get it on there. My last car, 98 SS, never had a garage. Now I have a house with a garage, compressor and a boat load of tools so I am all set up this time. I am doing a clutch and hydraulics soon, then headers. Spring time for the cam and tune at New Era, not attempting the cam. I have been watching your times, great job, thats one of the reasons I want to get that cam.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

haha, ya its sweet at my apartment working on the car. The pin on hood, putting it on the ground so it dosn't blow away outside in the parking lot, and then hoping people walking to the dumpster don't step on it I need a garage too lol. When are you doing the clutch, thats a great thing to do on a stock car. Get thatand the drill mod, a adjustable master all the the same time and your set for a long time. till you brake the rearend. But let me know about that, Ive done it a few times if your not sure on anything. I posted some pics of the sticky, for the stock master The DIY making it adjustable. I broke mine and did a little upgrade to make it stronger. Get some goo fuild, I use the willwood 870 now, its got a temp rating of 870 and dosn't get dark are all really after a full yar of racing. I like it more then the vavlione SYC fuild, I had goo luck with also. What clutch are you going with?
Old 10-30-2009, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am 99% sure on a Monster Clutch, not sure which stage yet. I am going to go with New GM slave and a tick master with speed bleeder. My fluid is black, hard to get in 1st and reverse so its due. I am pretty sure its the stock clutch, I am the second owner and there are 70K on her. Does New Era stock the clutches? That would save me on shipping, I can just drive down.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Thanks Big Mike.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

What size throttle body did you run with the BBK, 80mm (Studderin)? I was thinking of getting a 85 mm BBK. I noticed when I put it on how much smaller the stock TB was compared to the opening in the intake.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SWEET98SS
What size throttle body did you run with the BBK, 80mm (Studderin)? I was thinking of getting a 85 mm BBK. I noticed when I put it on how much smaller the stock TB was compared to the opening in the intake.
Im running a ported stocker.

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
YES!! That is the one problem I had with this intake... engine vibrations loosen the port plate screws and they eventually fall out. I kept hearing this "hum" noise come from the intake area for months. Finally got around to taking it off and found about 6 of the screws just laying in my valley cover. When re-installing it, I put some blue locktite on each of the little screws. Been about 8 months or so... no problems since...
Im glad I tuned into this thread. My motors almost out and i'll defenatly lock tite those puppies once I tare it back down.

Has anyone done any additional porting on there intake?? Ive been thinking about it?

Last edited by blakern; 10-31-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

ahhh what the hell.....
Old 11-01-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks good man, I was thinking of doing mine black
Old 11-01-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Regular

Got my motor out, started tearing it apart, and sure enough there was 3 of those little hex headed screws just laying there on the valley cover.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by blakern
Got my motor out, started tearing it apart, and sure enough there was 3 of those little hex headed screws just laying there on the valley cover.
see lol...
Old 11-02-2009, 05:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

IF i have time this winter, I i will pull mine and put loctite on them. Thanks for the info
Old 11-03-2009, 11:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Question

Any body paint theirs black like this:

FYI, The intake a little dusty from sanding the paint off.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:00 AM
TECH Junkie

yea that looks like the one I posted on the first page...
Old 11-04-2009, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
yea that looks like the one I posted on the first page...
How did I miss that?
I guess I'm getting old.

And that's the same paint I used.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

those painted ones look really cool. Its nice too how easy they will clean up. My fast shows and dirt, and hand prints I'd like to paint it too this winter, that off white yellowish is ugly.

Originally Posted by SWEET98SS

Ya, I gave you both size TB gaskets, the stock works for now. A 85mm TB makes more power so you can always upgrade to that later. And a 85mm maff, I just posted some more info on that in the dyno test thread I did on all this. But about the TB I ran....

the short- On the BBK It was a professional products 85mmTB. I haven't been impressed with anything they make Ive seen, but this TB wasn't that bad. It dose look kinda cheap with the bolt on cable cam. The threaded shaft stick out a bit. I didnt like how that looked. And some arn't machined right and the IAC get stuck, so its hit or miss. Some cars you have to mess with and move the sensor around on the screws it fits loose, and doesn't center nice like a stock and better TB dose. So the pluger can get stuck mis aligned

the long-- I worked with one, on the professional products intake, and TB on a car I worked on. The intake didnt fit the heads they well, had cheap gaskets, the fuel rails, and fittings leaked everywere . Put a BBK 85 TB on his car and used that TB. streetsweeper cam only car. Older car with miles (80-100K), and budget parts. 98 car m6,10bolt, ram clutch, pacesetters, some catback, pulley... put down like 427whp I was impressed, and the reason I got a street sweeper cam after some other locals mike tuned with it also.

Then a while later, I think I did this for a winter project. For a few weeks.. I think this was a misprint add to tell the trust. Summit was selling a 85mm TB under there brand for cheap! I think I paid $179 for it Looked like a PP 85mm, so bought it, and bought a used FAST78 and did alot of work on that making it a 85mm inlet and running it like that. I sold that setup, but they still sell a 85mm TB but for alot more. I think its like $295 right now. Some of the threaded holes for the sencors weren't tapped deep enoght, so I had to re tap them. And found out why, one of the TPS holes is close to breaking thu into the TB bore. The casting placment of the TPS dosn't alow for alot of room for the lenght of the torx screw, and how deep they can drill the hole, and then tap it quickly and have room for it all to fit.
But you can get a better BBK 85mm to, that not much more. I know mike sells them for $325 and keep them in stock with the 85mm BBK intakes
http://www.neweraperformance.net/def...E&PKV=17090f|0
Shipping would be cheaper getting them from the same place, But you local so can pick it up even.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Johhny, I would like to get the BBK so it matches the intake. I will get it before I come down for the Cam install. It should be ready by the end of winter. Got the poly motor mounts in, next is the clutch and hydraulics. I tell ya, taking them stock manifolds off and also relocating the coils makes everything a piece of cake to get to.

Quick Reply: Just Installed BBK Intake