Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough Vibration in Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Vibration in Car

Hey guys,

I have a 1998 Trans am. The car has about 140,000 miles on it. A couple of months ago I had several things worked on at once with it. I had one guy replace the ac compressor, knock sensor, and a few hoses. At the same time the car had a rebuilt transmission put in it (transmission had already failed so we trailered it between shops). So I have the car back now and it has a horrible vibration in it. I have put about 1000 miles on the car while trying to track this vibration down. The car vibrates real bad at any highway speed. However, it has to be in the transmission or engine because I can put the car in park, rev it up; and the vibration is there from 2000 rpm and up. The higher up in rpm you go, the more violent the vibration is. I’m trying to troubleshoot for the cheapest and easiest thing to replace first. Do you guys have any recommendations on how to approach this problem next? …..I really hope its not in the transmission…….

Thanks,
Old 10-28-2009, 12:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jcdonjuan04
Hey guys,

I have a 1998 Trans am. The car has about 140,000 miles on it. A couple of months ago I had several things worked on at once with it. I had one guy replace the ac compressor, knock sensor, and a few hoses. At the same time the car had a rebuilt transmission put in it (transmission had already failed so we trailered it between shops). So I have the car back now and it has a horrible vibration in it. I have put about 1000 miles on the car while trying to track this vibration down. The car vibrates real bad at any highway speed. However, it has to be in the transmission or engine because I can put the car in park, rev it up; and the vibration is there from 2000 rpm and up. The higher up in rpm you go, the more violent the vibration is. I’m trying to troubleshoot for the cheapest and easiest thing to replace first. Do you guys have any recommendations on how to approach this problem next? …..I really hope its not in the transmission…….

Thanks,
I whould check the bolts going to the stall converter. Take off the little round peep hole thing at the bell housing. With a flashlight you should have a decent look. If you suspect anything from that you can start the car and look again and see if it doesn't look tight. I would chech here before any damage gets done. My car was vibrating real bad over the past year. Turns out I was missing a bolt to the stall. The other 2 were loose. I found peices of the missing bolt in the bell housing. I feel I am lucky because the bolt could have done some real damage. I h hope this helps get you started in the right direction.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool thanx

Thanks man I will get on it as soon as I get back home I appreciate the help hopefully I can find the sources of the problem.