Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous or Heads?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 06:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous or Heads?

How's about some opinions on my next mod plz, My car is a dd 02 Z, with im guessing 400rwhp. cam only, m6.

I didn't have enough money to upgrade the fuel system when I put the cam in so its still stock, IIRC the stock 28.8 injectors & fuel system is good to about 450-500rwhp?

I've always planned to have a quick H/C car but I want to try out some spray, something about having an on demand fun button ^.^ nothing major just a small 50-100shot TOPS to get my feet wet. Only thing is , I have enough $ right now for just 1 of those choices w/gauges.

I assume if I get cnc heads & port my ls6 or get a fast I will need to change my injectors and upgrade the pump so I'm not being held back by fuel flow.

someone in my cc had max duty cycle with 400rwhp hence the assumption that it could be costing me some ponies..

If both require/advise a new fuel system i'll prob. go with the cnc heads instead and pass on n20 until I get another car (not enough $ for a new engine)

looking at NX and Nitrous outlet wet kits, Pondering ZEX but don't know much about it. want purge kit, window switch, fuel cutoff, bottle warmer.

Trickflow heads, patriot...prc?

Your feedback and experience/Knowledge is greatly appreciated.

plz keep your negatives to yourself
just trying to go about the quest for more power.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by RiceEaterZ; 11-04-2009 at 06:40 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:13 AM
TECH Junkie

with the stock injectors in my 99z (not sure if they are the 26 or 28s) i was running just over 100% duty cycle when i made my 408rwhp runs.

so if i plan to do heads....i'll be needing to put in the 42# green tops i have sitting here.

i say do the heads.

and i've been told time and again.....GREAT heads + ls6 intake is better than budget heads + fast intake.

cost generally is the same, but the better heads will probably make more power.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

i would say heads because you have the extra power 100% of the time.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:46 AM
TECH Junkie

and you don't have to refill it.

and to me..."all motor" is a fun thing to claim
Old 11-04-2009, 09:52 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are daily driving the car, the safe way to go is heads/cam. You can typically bolt on a set of heads and install a cam and do anything you want with the car and not loose any reliability. Don't get me wrong, nitrous is a LOT of fun. I know, I've run through more bottles than I can count, but the chance of something getting hurt for one reason or another is greater with the nitrous. haha... In all honesty, the nitrous is funner but something you are needing on a daily basis, the heads are probably the smarter way to go.

Shoot me a PM with your budget and we'll see if we can put together a package deal on the fuel system upgrades and heads or if you decide to go nitrous, we can get you setup with a Nitrous Outlet or NX kit!

Jon
Old 11-04-2009, 10:17 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RiceEaterZ
How's about some opinions on my next mod plz, My car is a dd 02 Z, with im guessing 400rwhp. cam only, m6.

I didn't have enough money to upgrade the fuel system when I put the cam in so its still stock, IIRC the stock 28.8 injectors & fuel system is good to about 450-500rwhp?

I've always planned to have a quick H/C car but I want to try out some spray, something about having an on demand fun button ^.^ nothing major just a small 50-100shot TOPS to get my feet wet. Only thing is , I have enough $ right now for just 1 of those choices w/gauges.

I assume if I get cnc heads & port my ls6 or get a fast I will need to change my injectors and upgrade the pump so I'm not being held back by fuel flow.

someone in my cc had max duty cycle with 400rwhp hence the assumption that it could be costing me some ponies..

If both require/advise a new fuel system i'll prob. go with the cnc heads instead and pass on n20 until I get another car (not enough $ for a new engine)

looking at NX and Nitrous outlet wet kits, Pondering ZEX but don't know much about it. want purge kit, window switch, fuel cutoff, bottle warmer.

Trickflow heads, patriot...prc?

Your feedback and experience/Knowledge is greatly appreciated.

plz keep your negatives to yourself
just trying to go about the quest for more power.

Thank you for your time.
Whats the budget is the big question. Bargain heads more often than not produce bargain results but if thats what the budget permits then that's good enough. As stated by TSP n2o can be fun but also costly.

a 50 shot is a good way to get your feet wet, Nitrous outlet has a few nice inexpensive kits that can get you started. Call them and talk to them and they can give you some facts about running n2o.

Either or can be fun the h/c is more power all the time vs power on demand with the n2o. Head/cam setup will be more money so we really need to look at the budget to see what would be the best fit.

Then you have the long term... n2o does eat a lot of engines eventually.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

What is your budget?? This is a key question to know before we can give an educated answer. Are you doing the install yourself? What about the tune?

I'll step out and say, regardless of which option you choose, you NEED to upgrade the fuel system. Injectors and a Racetronix kit are needed for power and more importantly, reliability. A tune will also be needed, whichever way you go, so budget that too. Figure $1000-1200 for the baseline.

Only now do you have a baseline to project your costs. A complete nitrous kit, with ALL the bells and whistles can be had for a grand (I'm padding a bit for misc. and some fills). This will give you 100hp or so and at least as much torque but you gotta push a button and you gotta refill it. The downside is, if something goes wrong, you could hurt the motor. If nothing goes wrong, your tranny or rear end may rebel given the nature of the nitrous hit.

Heads are more expensive, even budget heads will be $1200 plus gaskets, fluids, bolts, etc. However, if you were to go with the TrickFlows or AFRs, you'll pick up a solid 40-50rwhp with no downside at all, and it's always there for you. This option could easily get into $2000-2500 if you go with top tier heads and all the miscellaneous stuff to install them.

If you have the budget, I'd go with the AFRs or Trick Flow 215s. You could find some ported 243s for about half the cost and get 80% of the power.

Given that this is your daily driver, I'd sure recommend the head option. Get the best heads you can, that's where your power is made. You might even consider some used 243s and a used FAST, one or both could be ported if you have cash and patience.

Still, need to know the first two answers above before you can really decide...
Old 11-04-2009, 01:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nitrous is a lot of fun but its addicting. Just put my first kit on and already want more! I think a good setup would be nice size cam and 100 shot. Just be sure to do everything right and all the safety measures. Should be faster than most h/c cars.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

budget is a few grand so far (2+), Car is running a vengeance tune that Id have to have adjusted for either one via mail in since they prob. wont be back for a year or so. if its heads idk if I'm doing it myself nitrous I'd install myself.
I've been eying a racetronix fuel kit w/42's from day 1 cam is TFS "stage III" 228/230/.585 squared, 112 lsa. I was wondering if ported ls2/6 heads were gonna give me more than 20-30hp I might just save up until I can get the matching TFS (on the high side of things unless i just get em bare)I don't want to be dissapointed

Last edited by RiceEaterZ; 11-06-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put the h/c and n2o.lets have some fun on the streets since we dont have a track anymore.but you live on the other side of the island.see ya around mang.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I had been thinking about this very question but came to the decision that i'd rather have the power all the time and more reliability, so i'm going with milled TFS 215's and an upgraded fuel system.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

thx for the suggestions so far guys, It looks like the smart money is on the heads and fuel system for now which I agree with just would be nice to have a lil' somethin hidden away ^.^ , nitrous later down the road undecided. for sure the next car will get n20

how close are the cnc/revalved 243's vs 205's and 215's? there is a decent price difference, I'd like to hit 450rwhp, 475+ is fine too but that needs an intake etc. imo

Last edited by RiceEaterZ; 11-07-2009 at 04:59 AM.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 35th SS
put the h/c and n2o.lets have some fun on the streets since we dont have a track anymore.but you live on the other side of the island.see ya around mang.
lol such a trouble maker I don't have the $ for both Yes I do but that's what cruises are for asshat yup see ya around!
Old 11-07-2009, 01:09 AM
TECH Addict

seriously though I would do the h/c now save up for the n2o down the road.BTW I hear December cruize night will be in Hawaii kai town center in your neck of the woods.I ll be there Im sure some peeps from the club will be there.wanna check your ride out.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

seriously though I would do the h/c now save up for the n2o down the road.BTW I hear December cruize night will be in Hawaii kai town center in your neck of the woods.I ll be there Im sure some peeps from the club will be there.wanna check your ride out.

80% pretty much gonna stick to my origional plan,NA riceeater. (for now lol) ^.^ I just gotta figure out what heads I want.

Ohh nice, But if its another grandpas and their big dollar muscle cars thing I'll wait for the "afterparty", a lot of those fks talk **** but haven't gone over 70 in decades people want to look at my 4banger? Gotta change my headlights the cracked rubber looks bad.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:50 AM
TECH Addict

mang leave those ricer alone.what they mess with you on the streets.if you got the $$ go with TFS heads.on a budget 243s bang for the buck.

your right about grandpas bringin out thier big dollar muscle cars lol.most of them I havent seen thiers cars at the track when it was open.its all show no go I guess.and drop that front end some more.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

mang leave those ricer alone.what they mess with you on the streets.if you got the $$ go with TFS heads.on a budget 243s bang for the buck.

your right about grandpas bringin out thier big dollar muscle cars lol.most of them I havent seen thiers cars at the track when it was open.its all show no go I guess.and drop that front end some more.
they always do esp. sti/350z Trick flow 215cnc (match the cam)are my #1 choice but prob. need to save more, followed by afr 2o5 and the ported ls6/5.3's depends on the budget but Im cool with waiting.
I think its cuz the LT1 had a Iron block, fk there's a lower perch (1/4"ish +-)but I have to take that **** out again and reset the springs. I guess I could do that when I put the new tires on

Last edited by RiceEaterZ; 11-07-2009 at 05:03 AM.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

do that then good choice.wow sti and 350z wish they would mess with me like that.