Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New car but I hate the exhaust!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You could also put a couple of Magnaflow 4" x 9" mufflers in the back.
Magnaflow #11216, about $70ea.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 11-05-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look for a used borla... I love mine, very very deep tone
Old 11-05-2009, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO GMMG has the best tone to it espeically if you have a LT's and a catted Y. Every tells me how much they love how it sounds, weather they race or not, into sports cars or not or even know anything about cars. I turn heads cause they hear me coming and when I get there they pee on theirselves.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:00 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by thewholefnshow1
IMO GMMG has the best tone to it espeically if you have a LT's and a catted Y. Every tells me how much they love how it sounds, weather they race or not, into sports cars or not or even know anything about cars. I turn heads cause they hear me coming and when I get there they pee on theirselves.
I ran into an SS yesterday that had LT -> GMMG, and to be honest, I wasn't that impressed. My stock headers with borla adjustable catback(plate open) had a way deeper tone than his GMMG. His GMMG had a raspy tone up top when he would step on it, wasn't too impressed with it.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Aetos
I ran into an SS yesterday that had LT -> GMMG, and to be honest, I wasn't that impressed. My stock headers with borla adjustable catback(plate open) had a way deeper tone than his GMMG. His GMMG had a raspy tone up top when he would step on it, wasn't too impressed with it.
Different set up maybe. Cam, no cam. Borla is pretty much just straight pipes. You put LT's on yours and yes you will get rasp too. It's all in what people want. But your stock manifolds vs. LT and yes you will notice a difference. An most of all these cars get raspy or some rasp when you put on LT's, even with catted pipes. I love the tone of GMMG it doesn't matter about how deep it is, it's the tone I like. To me Borla and Corsa just sound raw with or without LT's but it's the tone I like. So that's just a matter of opinion. An it kinda depends on the price you pay for it. I got my GMMG at 450 so yes a good sounding Catback and performance at that price. An I don't have rasp put a 20" powerstick in the I-pipe along with my catted y-pipe. You can get rid of rasp or most of it but some people love it to. I can't speak for everyone though.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by thewholefnshow1
Different set up maybe. Cam, no cam. Borla is pretty much just straight pipes. You put LT's on yours and yes you will get rasp too. It's all in what people want. But your stock manifolds vs. LT and yes you will notice a difference. An most of all these cars get raspy or some rasp when you put on LT's, even with catted pipes. I love the tone of GMMG it doesn't matter about how deep it is, it's the tone I like. To me Borla and Corsa just sound raw with or without LT's but it's the tone I like. So that's just a matter of opinion. An it kinda depends on the price you pay for it. I got my GMMG at 450 so yes a good sounding Catback and performance at that price. An I don't have rasp put a 20" powerstick in the I-pipe along with my catted y-pipe. You can get rid of rasp or most of it but some people love it to. I can't speak for everyone though.
I agree long tubes completely changes the sound, but that's why I'm not gonna keep my borlas when I go long tubes. I got my borla for 500 used, with an electric cut out in place of the adjustable plate system.

Only way to really completely eliminate rasp with long tubes is to go some form of true duals which is the route I'm gonna go
Old 11-07-2009, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

flowmaster + cutout
Old 11-08-2009, 01:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by texas99Z28
You don't like LM1? nothing sounds better wide open on a stock LS1!
and thats where it stops sounding good! I had the LM-2 and i loved it...right up until i added long tubes and ORY. Yeah i'd add a pair of bullet mufflers in the back like the others said
Old 11-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Teching In

I agree also. Before I put the LT's and ORY on mine I liked the SLP LM1 exhaust. Now I don't. I've tried a dynomax bullet, but I still didn't like the sound. So much rasp. Even the tone wasn't great. I will be trying a flo-pro twister when it get's here and see if that help's. If not, I'm gunna just get the tsp true duals and forget the SLP LM1 setup. I'll throw the flo-pro on my 99 silverado since I have no muffler of any kind on there. Maybe some one will buy the SLP LM1. It's only been on there just over a month.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mindless_Rage
I agree also. Before I put the LT's and ORY on mine I liked the SLP LM1 exhaust. Now I don't. I've tried a dynomax bullet, but I still didn't like the sound. So much rasp. Even the tone wasn't great. I will be trying a flo-pro twister when it get's here and see if that help's. If not, I'm gunna just get the tsp true duals and forget the SLP LM1 setup. I'll throw the flo-pro on my 99 silverado since I have no muffler of any kind on there. Maybe some one will buy the SLP LM1. It's only been on there just over a month.

i didnt like how queit the hooker aerochamber was b4 my LTs, i love the sound of Hooker LT, hooker Y, hooker cb now. its nice at idle, and it comes alive at WOT. can be tame or evil. i have a video of it from a while ago ill post it below. but ill let ya know how it sounds with a cam here in the next couple weeks
ive gotten nothing but compliments on my car, even cops have commented on how it sounded at WOT

Old 11-09-2009, 01:38 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
I like the Magnaflow or Hooker catbacks. Both provide a nice tone that isn't too loud and both flow well.
+2 ... esp. if LT's are in your future. Oh, and I had a GMMG ...
Old 11-09-2009, 01:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednaxela
flowmaster + cutout
don't waste yur money on flowmaster...sounds like straight dog *** if you ask me...low RPMs and idle sound ok...but at WOT sounds like an agressive ricer...I had this exact setup and hated it...too raspy
Old 11-10-2009, 11:34 PM
Teching In

Update: The flo-pro twister muffler does help quite a lot with rasp and almost completely gets rid of the drone. All you hear is the deep muscle tone from the back exiting the pipe's. This is with the BBK lt's, BBK ORY pipe, and SLP LM1. This setup is definately a great improvement over the resonator or a bullet in it's place. It is a bit quiet though in my opinion. It still sound's really good though. But don't get me wrong my version of quiet is still loud to most people. lol

I love the old school loud muscle though, so I am still gunna get the true dual's.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Staging Lane

i like corsa alot and borla sounds good too. just pricey.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:40 AM
Teching In

I recommend getting the Heartthrob cat back for you car. I just took my SLP1 LM out and put this one in. I love it! I can drive the car anywhere. I can hear the cam with no problems. I can't say enough about how pleased with it I am. Check it out!
Old 11-20-2009, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

GMMG is the best. but the cheapest and best is a cutout
Old 11-20-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you absolutly want to go with another catback then I would recommend a hooker catback. If you are willing to expand your options then go with a true dual setup I love my Duals and will not switch any time soon. I always think about it though. Good luck with what ever you choose.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:43 AM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 350 WS6
i like corsa alot...
^ this
Old 11-24-2009, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

A customer called me today & said he has been unable to reach anybody at GMMG - he said their # was disconnected even.

Anyway, how about a full chambered POWERSTICK system anyone???

...........Long live chambered exhaust!