Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 09:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Power Steering Pump

I have a leaking power steering pump so I will need to work on it this weekend. I see that most of the parts stores sell the pump without the reservoir. Is it a pain to remove the old reservoir and put on the new pump? Also, is it common for the hose or the pump to go first? Thanks...
Old 11-06-2009, 09:08 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hose usually goes first... or its been my experience that way..
The reservoir is only held on by two clips, very easy to remove. It basicaly just sits on top of the pump and has a plastic stem that goes into the pump.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DO NOT forget the o-rings provided with the new pump. Don't reuse the old ones.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the tips. I was going to clean it all up and try to see where it was leaking from first. Any tips on problem areas to look at?
Old 11-06-2009, 11:12 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

just clean it off with some brakleen and then look for the dirty spot in a couple days
Old 11-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Staging Lane

Update:

Not a very difficult job but just thought I would share. I worked on it this last Sunday. As suggested I cleaned everything off on Friday and drove it around to see where it was leaking from. Since it was leaking I toned down my driving so I wouldn't get stuck somewhere. When I looked Sunday morning I couldn't see any heavy fluid leaking just a small amount that I couldn't trace. So I went ahead and bought a pump without the resevior for $56. So here it goes. I didn't have to remove the radiator hose, I just removed one end and moved it out of the way. I didn't have a wrench to fit behind the pulley so I had to remove it. That wasn't so difficult but now the funny thing. Once I got the pulley off I started to remove the power steering hose. It wasn't even finger tight.. I went ahead and replaced the pump anyway since I went this far, I already had the pump and I have 180K on the car. I put it all back together and "surprise" no leaks and it works great. I think that the leaking slowed down after I cleaned it because I didn't drive the car hard. I guess the moral of the story is to tighten all of the lines before you spend any money. LOL
Old 11-09-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$56 isn't bad though and a little preventative maintenance never hurt
Old 11-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

That's kinda what I thought. It still bugged me that I didn't check on the simple fix first before buying the pump. I keep harping on my son to check the easy fixes first. That's why I posted this. I've read so many threads when researching that maybe the next guy will check the fittings and possibly save himself some money.