Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping K-Frame-dropping oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 07:02 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Swapping K-Frame-dropping oil pan

I'm doing my K-Frame, control arms, brakes, sway bar and motor mount swap this weekend. No headers yet.

I wanna drop the oil pan to clean it up, there's a lot of what looks like caked up mud on it. The car's previous owner was like in farm land.

While I have the oil pan down, is there anything I should do or look for? It's a stock 1999 LS1 with 160K on the clock. Runs good, no issues, strange noises or smoke. AFAIK, the pan's never been down.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would consider changing rod bolts to ARP. It used to be done a lot back in the day.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

definitely change rod bolts while you're there... they are fairly cheap and good insurance... i honestly think it would be stupid to not do them if you've already gone that far
Old 11-08-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

rod bolts, and a new pan gasket
Old 11-08-2009, 10:01 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. I decided to not drop the pan. I had waaay to many other things to do and it went slower than it shoulda. And aggravating. To get the motor mount bolts out, the rocket scientists at GM poked the bolts in from the front-requiring me to pull the alternator and A/C compressor. I broke the charge wire on the alternator and cracked the A/C compressor by over tightening a bolt. SSSS... AND the steering rack bolts were poked downwards making me drop the frame first to get them out.

All these bolts are now poked THE OTHER WAY.

The upper control arm braces are badly rusted and I need a set. Good thing it’s NOT available without control arms-that I won’t be using. Extra cost....

Oh and that A/C compressor? To get it off, you need to remove the EGR, the compressor AND it’s bracket which was what the bolt really hit.

I love my car but sometimes I gotta say ****** GM!!!

Last edited by Paul Bell; 11-08-2009 at 10:24 PM.