Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edelbrock Shorty Headers on a 1998 Ls1

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 11:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG BILL 2000 Z
i have some shorties man and some 00 manifolds if interested. im selling my edelbrock's for 150 shipped but may go lower and my stock manifolds i will sell for 50 shipped
Where u located I'm interested in edelbrocks
Old 10-18-2014, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Stixsdad, this thread is over almost 5yres old. Also not all shorty headers are emission legal, so check before you buy a set.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:19 PM

i have a 2001 camaro z28 with edelbrock shortie headers what y pipe fits on it ? or what should i get for my exhaust?
Old 02-18-2015, 09:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1miguel
what should i get for my exhaust?
longtubes.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

longtube replies to people interested in shorties 99% of the time for a reason, which is wanting to stay smog legal, is really annoying. i stay in cali ... longtubes for a dd is extremely stupid with how hard they are on emissions laws now both the popo & the smog shops. so bbk or edelbrock shorties are about it to stay legal (both have carb numbers) & as far as i know the slp y pipe connects as a direct fit to the cats - if not bolt on not hard at all to get fabbed/welded on at a shop. so to stay legal, carb numbered shorties, carb numbered magnaflow hi flow cats, slp y pipe & 3" straight through muffler of choice is not a bad setup at all.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:11 PM
12 Second Club

If i were you id just skip on it and invest in a cut out with y pipe. If your worried about emissions. This is coming from somebody who lives in California.

I have long tubes, no cats, and 3 inch y pipe. Cam+bolt ons and never had any issues with cops. Car was daily driven for over a year and now a weekend car. Everytime ive ever been pulled over its never been about the exhaust or cam.

As for as smog i just pay to pass it.

So imo go lt's and x pipe or y pipe. If not just ger a cut out/s, shorties are not worth the gains.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bane89
.......As for as smog i just pay to pass it. ...
sure not a problem for those that want to be driving illegally. some of us, like myself, like to obey the law & not risk getting a fat fine from the man & a fix it ticket requiring you to have the car inspected and made sure every single illegal part has been taken off the car. sure some will get away with it forever others may not be so lucky (2 of my co-workers & 1 fellow f-body owner/friend in 2014) ... its hit & miss & many of us do not want to be on the "hit" part of hit & miss. they do actual checkpoints all across california (came across 4 myself just in 2014 - 2 in my city- stockton, & 2 in the bay area) looking SPECIFICALLY for illegally modded cars. so this advice IMO is not very good advice. then again, no disrespect & people will do what they want - in the end the risk is upon the owner.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much do shorties and an SLP Y pipe cost? (For 5hp)
Old 02-19-2015, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Old 03-02-2015, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bane89
If i were you id just skip on it and invest in a cut out with y pipe. If your worried about emissions. This is coming from somebody who lives in California.

I have long tubes, no cats, and 3 inch y pipe. Cam+bolt ons and never had any issues with cops. Car was daily driven for over a year and now a weekend car. Everytime ive ever been pulled over its never been about the exhaust or cam.

As for as smog i just pay to pass it.

So imo go lt's and x pipe or y pipe. If not just ger a cut out/s, shorties are not worth the gains.
I live in So-Cal too and just got my car smogged. The owner told me the new Cali Smog machines record your cars information when it's hooked up and submits it to the state. Basically making it impossible to pay to pass.

I'm looking at doing headers because the header bolt on the back of #7 broke (yay lucky me) so I may pay the muffler shop to extract the bolt and install new headers.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:36 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by p8ntballkid090
I live in So-Cal too and just got my car smogged. The owner told me the new Cali Smog machines record your cars information when it's hooked up and submits it to the state. Basically making it impossible to pay to pass.

I'm looking at doing headers because the header bolt on the back of #7 broke (yay lucky me) so I may pay the muffler shop to extract the bolt and install new headers.
Sounds like the best solution is to move out of California!
Old 03-03-2015, 07:13 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Adding headers to a Gen I/II small block results in decent gains because the firing order places the 5/7 pulses together. Headers splits these pulses.

Gen III/IV engines have the newer firing order eliminating the stacked exhaust pulse in the stock manifold. Adding long tube headers to an engine with the new firing order doesn't offer the gains seen with the older engines.

Adding shorties to a LS engine won't give you more horsepower. Long tube headers will add SOME power but not what engines of the past did.

Leave the stock exhaust manifolds in place until you can do long tubes and other mods that'll warrant a better flowing exhaust system.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

...just to put this out there, I've got Hooker shorty headers on my '98 Z28 and I put down 400.1 RWHP. I do have an LS6 swap, but it's stock internally, and just have all the usual bolt-ons. I've still got my stock cats and am 99% sure I would be able to pass an emissions test if I lived a state that required one. I wanted to stay smog legal on my set-up because at the time of the swap, it was in the news that emissions was coming soon. That turned out not to be the case, but I still prefer to stay smog legal because when I did try LT headers without cats, the fumes were a bit on the strong side for me as a daily driver.

The ONLY thing I would change about my shorty headers is I wish I had bought a coated set...I burn plug wires periodically even after having them wrapped in extra boots and heat shields...
Old 05-02-2015, 05:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BandDirector Blk98ZM6
...just to put this out there, I've got Hooker shorty headers on my '98 Z28 and I put down 400.1 RWHP. I do have an LS6 swap, but it's stock internally, and just have all the usual bolt-ons. I've still got my stock cats and am 99% sure I would be able to pass an emissions test if I lived a state that required one. I wanted to stay smog legal on my set-up because at the time of the swap, it was in the news that emissions was coming soon. That turned out not to be the case, but I still prefer to stay smog legal because when I did try LT headers without cats, the fumes were a bit on the strong side for me as a daily driver.

The ONLY thing I would change about my shorty headers is I wish I had bought a coated set...I burn plug wires periodically even after having them wrapped in extra boots and heat shields...
well good thing you dont live in cali ... the hooker shorties have no carb # & you would fail done deal - doesn't matter what else is in order or if you have cats or not. ... that being said, i myself have changed my entire outlook on staying legal in cali with shorties!!! as the only carb approved shorties are jba & cost around $800!!! to me now it is totally worth getting some ebay or budget longtubes & a y for like 350-400 ... the 350-450 ill be saving makes it TOTALLY worth it to swap out every 2 years back to stock if needed for inspection, & that is exactly what i'll be doing shortly!!!
... again, for those in cali, the ONLY shorties that can be bought new that have a carb number are the $800.00 jba's !!! & the power gains i have read about are simply not worth the time or money, even if i found a pair of edelbrocks for $100.00.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SkWiDsTyLe321
well good thing you dont live in cali ... the hooker shorties have no carb # & you would fail done deal - doesn't matter what else is in order or if you have cats or not. ... that being said, i myself have changed my entire outlook on staying legal in cali with shorties!!! as the only carb approved shorties are jba & cost around $800!!! to me now it is totally worth getting some ebay or budget longtubes & a y for like 350-400 ... the 350-450 ill be saving makes it TOTALLY worth it to swap out every 2 years back to stock if needed for inspection, & that is exactly what i'll be doing shortly!!!
... again, for those in cali, the ONLY shorties that can be bought new that have a carb number are the $800.00 jba's !!! & the power gains i have read about are simply not worth the time or money, even if i found a pair of edelbrocks for $100.00.
I had this setup JBA's & slp y-pipe on my car until last summer. The JBA's are expensive, but are a quality product. I removed the setup and went with stepped ARH's and their catted y-pipe. I lost low end torque and responsiveness below 3000 rpm's, but the mid and upper end are very noticeable. I will be moving back to SoCal next year, so I too will most likely be doing the shorty header swap for my smog/emissions check.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SkWiDsTyLe321
I bought my Hooker Shorty's new in 2004 when I did my LS6 swap. They've got an oval plate fastened to the driver's side header with the CARB # riveted to it...

I just went out and confirmed. I see the CARB plate, and can read "CARB" but the actual number is blocked by one of the pipes...

They're part # 2077HKR and I only paid $286 shipped from TByrne Motorsports...but that was 11 years ago...

Just found this though to confirm:
http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInst...520-2077-1.pdf

You're statement about JBA's being the only NEW ones available for purchase at this time may be accurate, but that hasn't always been the case...mine ARE CARB approved...

Last edited by BandDirector Blk98ZM6; 05-03-2015 at 01:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock Shorty Headers on a 1998 Ls1