Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfire = Vibrations?, but no codes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my lowly LT1, I have been chasing down a vibe that follows the torque curve. Starts at 4.5K RPM and fades out around 5.5K RPM.

Finally determined that the #2 sprak plug wire end was barely making connection with the plug. I would consider just a partial misfire but enough to cause the vibe.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The vibration was not fixed from the new pushrods or regapping of plugs.. it is still there, although my idle is much smoother now

OK, so im really wondering if i am confusing my neutral vibe as being a part of this (in neutral, rev, makes my steering wheel bounce a bit),, maybe its not a part of this at all, reason being as my neutral steering wheel hop has been in the car since i bought it, the vibs only started after the Moser 12 bolt install, or possibly after my header install, which was RIGHT before the rear,, maybe 200 miles inbetween the two....

SOOO, lets just pretend that i have a vib in any gear between 1800 to 2500 rpms, and forget about the neutral thing,, i know my rear is good as its been checked about 8 million times (seems the vibs started sometime after installing my Moser 12 bolt) is there any way to tell if my DS is the culprit, any tests i can perform? ((mods feel free to move this if needed))

thanx for the help everyone, its very appriciated!!!!!

Wayne
Old 11-23-2009, 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bad Blue WS6
The vibration was not fixed from the new pushrods or regapping of plugs.. it is still there, although my idle is much smoother now

OK, so im really wondering if i am confusing my neutral vibe as being a part of this (in neutral, rev, makes my steering wheel bounce a bit),, maybe its not a part of this at all, reason being as my neutral steering wheel hop has been in the car since i bought it, the vibs only started after the Moser 12 bolt install, or possibly after my header install, which was RIGHT before the rear,, maybe 200 miles inbetween the two....

SOOO, lets just pretend that i have a vib in any gear between 1800 to 2500 rpms, and forget about the neutral thing,, i know my rear is good as its been checked about 8 million times (seems the vibs started sometime after installing my Moser 12 bolt) is there any way to tell if my DS is the culprit, any tests i can perform? ((mods feel free to move this if needed))

thanx for the help everyone, its very appriciated!!!!!

Wayne
Wayne,

Does the viberation change with speed or rpm? Can you verify the pinon angle? you will need a magnetic angle finder for this. Its really hard to trouble shoot this over the internet.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

lol,, if you ask me, its hard to trouble shoot this with the car right in front of me!!

The RPM's is where its at, always 1800 to 2500, most dominant at 2200, any gear in that RPM range. I do not have one of those angle finders, but the car is still at stock height, etc... the rear and all the supporting new stuff went in at the same time (TA, LCA's, PHB), TA is still mounted to the tranny as stock, DS is stock, but i did change the u joint to the appropriate one for the 12 bolt. I think i can get one of those pinion angle finders at Harbor Freight... not sure about that yet though.

Wayne
Old 11-23-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

nope harbor freight does not carry a pinion finder.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Staging Lane

lol,, if you ask me, its hard to trouble shoot this with the car right in front of me!!

The RPM's is where its at, always 1800 to 2500, most dominant at 2200, any gear in that RPM range. I do not have one of those angle finders, but the car is still at stock height, etc... the rear and all the supporting new stuff went in at the same time (TA, LCA's, PHB), TA is still mounted to the tranny as stock, DS is stock, but i did change the u joint to the appropriate one for the 12 bolt. I think i can get one of those pinion angle finders at Harbor Freight... not sure about that yet though.

Wayne
Just to make sure I understand the viberation is present while the car is stopped and in neutral?
Old 11-23-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

i have something there that makes my steering wheel bounce when reved at idle,, so to answer you question,,yes,, BUT,,, i want to investigate the possibility that the 18 to 25 vibs and the neutral steering wheel bouncing are NOT related... they very well may be, i have always thought they were,, but the steering wheel bounce has always been there, since day one that i have owned this car, and its not horrible, it just kinda bounces,, but the 18 to 25 rpm vibs seemed to have started at some point after the 12 bolt install.

another thing on this is that i do not feel a vib in neutral like i do when driving,, or if i do, its deffinetly not the same, its only the steering wheel bounce which is not limited to the 1800 to 2500 rpm range,, it will bounce before and after that range, some days not at all. Good times.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

i have something there that makes my steering wheel bounce when reved at idle,, so to answer you question,,yes,, BUT,,, i want to investigate the possibility that the 18 to 25 vibs and the neutral steering wheel bouncing are NOT related... they very well may be, i have always thought they were,, but the steering wheel bounce has always been there, since day one that i have owned this car, and its not horrible, it just kinda bounces,, but the 18 to 25 rpm vibs seemed to have started at some point after the 12 bolt install.

another thing on this is that i do not feel a vib in neutral like i do when driving,, or if i do, its deffinetly not the same, its only the steering wheel bounce which is not limited to the 1800 to 2500 rpm range,, it will bounce before and after that range, some days not at all. Good times.
you should be able to pick up and angle finder at Lowes or Home Depot. Also I would check and see if you guys have a local powertrain shop that can check the balance on the drive shift. Also remove and inspect the u-joint and ubolts. Does this car have a stock torque arm?
Old 11-23-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

nope, BMR non adj TA is what she has... dont i have to get a new u joint if i remove the one thats on there now? No biggie, i think it was like 20 bux or so,,, i do remember spilling the needle bearings when putting it on (ahem,, dont use a hammer to push the caps on ) but i did recover them and reset them in the cap,, maybe i missed one or something,, man if it was only that easy.. lol.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

nope, BMR non adj TA is what she has... dont i have to get a new u joint if i remove the one thats on there now? No biggie, i think it was like 20 bux or so,,, i do remember spilling the needle bearings when putting it on (ahem,, dont use a hammer to push the caps on ) but i did recover them and reset them in the cap,, maybe i missed one or something,, man if it was only that easy.. lol.
I would replace just to be on the safe side.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

will do, i will update this thread with my findings once i get them.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:09 AM
TECH Addict

pinion angle came to -4 (rear = -1.5,, DS = +2.5),,, from what im reding though, pinion angle would be mph sensitve, vs my rpm sensitive so im not sure if buying a adj ta would help or not (grr) I have a brand new bmr one on there now, non adj of course
Old 11-29-2009, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I COMPLETELY feel your pain. My car also has a vibration that varies with rpm. It makes it not fun to drive. I'm checking my clutch/flywheel/pp today...

EDIT: I know it's a long shot, but do you think your vibration may be an internal imbalance in the motor? I know you have done many, many things attempting to locate the source.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

I pulled my pressure plate today and fired it up. The vibration was completely gone. Did you ever try that? I saw on a previous post that you pulled your fly wheel, but I wasn't sure if you tried running it with out the PP/disc.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

no, havnt dropped the tranny yet to check all that out,,, not saying i wont, but trying to explore the easier stuff first before getting into that.

What was the reason you inspected yours?
Old 11-29-2009, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

I had a vibration from 1200-3000 rpm or at least that's where it was most noticeable. I had the steering wheel bounce like you as well. I will most likely be investing in a monster clutch since they are on sale right now.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Update?
Old 01-09-2010, 04:10 AM
On The Tree

My vibe was my clutch.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

still there,, i can kinda feel a pulsing in my clutch pedal,, id bet money i have a cracked flywheel,,,,,, clutch works great though,, and not ready to get under there yet,,
Old 06-17-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

I had the same issue last month with mine, i pulled everything multiple times, replaced all the wires even suspected a plugged cat. It ended up being a hairline crack BELOW the threaded sleeve on one of the plugs. They were brand new NGK TR-55's out of the box too, so it happens sometimes. I was just glad it only cost $2 to fix The only way i figured it out was while pulling them the entire porcelain part snapped off perfectly. Once i tossed in a new plug all was normal.

Quick Reply: Misfire = Vibrations?, but no codes?