Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07+ truck coils

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 07+ truck coils

have an opportuniy locally to pick up some coils from a 2008/9 suburban or tahoe with a 5.3L (was a enterprise rent a truck). i havent been able to look at them but does anyone know if these coils will work on a 02 ta, and clear the fuel rail/line input on the existing brackets

my factory coils are nearly shot.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how do you know the factory coils are almost shot? just a lot of miles? i was under the impression that they either work to their full potential or they don't work at all
Old 11-16-2009, 05:12 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Creeper's right, coils work or don't work, there's no in between. There's nothing to wear out to reduce their performance over time.

As an answer to your question, the later truck coils will not plug into the LS1 coil harness or bolt to the LS1 coil brackets. Exactly which truck coils did you get? Have you see the coil swap thread that's been here?
Old 11-16-2009, 05:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not exactly true, coils do get weak over time. They'll produce less voltage thus making a weaker spark.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BarneyMobile
Not exactly true, coils do get weak over time. They'll produce less voltage thus making a weaker spark.
thats my problem and one or several of them are causing a missfire, most of the time its so subtle its not giving me the flashing SES. but on cold starts it always flashes until warmed up, then missfires when given the slightest amount of throttle for a couple of miles right between 2500-3000 (being that i have a turbo 400, until im doing 60 mph im always between 2500-3000). im convinced after several plug/wires changes those are not my problem, as well as my tune being checked and re-checked.

i did not pick up any coils, yet. but i absolutely need to.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:24 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

This has been discussed many time here. The coil windings in the housings don’t get shorter over time. The electronic trigger package either works or doesn’t work. If anything, there could be a intermittent problem causing them to stop working at times. If the coil works, it’ll spark at its designed voltage. The spark cannot "get weaker".

If you’re getting codes, swap the coils around and see if the problem follows the coil.

Don’t expect any substantial performance improvement with a coil change. Even the best upgrade to the heat sinked truck coils will show modest improvements.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:44 AM
Banned

Not true, OF COURSE COILS CAN put out less voltage than designed! What happens over time is the winding inside the coil start to short because the insulation starts to break down over time. This causes less and less output until the coil fails completely. Coils can also fail suddenly if the winding shorts at the right place or goes completely open. There can be other reasons too that coils put out less power or stop working.

IF ANYONE TELLS YOU ANY DIFFERENT THEY don't know nuttin about how coils works!
Old 11-17-2009, 10:52 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Sorry sir, you are incorrect. What you say is contrary to the millions of coils in use, many of which function perfectly for hundreds of thousands of miles. Coils are potted in an insulation material and baked to cure and solidify the compound. If there were winding-to-winding shorts, the coil would soon fail completely as the arcing would quickly consume the potting compound.

Do you have experience in winding motors and transformers?

In trouble shooting these engines, it's often too easy to be a parts swapper starting with the ignition coils. Very amateur. And expensive. These coils are some of the most reliable ignition coils ever designed. The OP may have other issues that's why his starting point should be to move the coils around and see where the problem goes.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

ill double check here shortly and swap the rails from driver-pass side and see what happens tonight and give you my results. the car currently breaks up heavily between 2500-3000 on cold starts. its fine after driving a mile or 2. or letting the car sit and idle til at operating temp.

it does not throw any codes when it breaks up, the only time the missfire light flashes is very rarely right when i start up the car, if i shut the car off and turn it back on then its fine no flashing.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok so i went out and swapped coils from driver to passenger side. the break changed to around 21-2200-2700, and would happen with less throttle of course. but now thankfully at driving speds there is no break up at the moment. i did not let the car warm up and i only took the car up the road (about a 2 mile drive) but it definitely feels different.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I would check the coil harness for damage or shorts first. I had a harness short and the car wouldn't run, just misfire and backfire. Swapped the coils one at a time and it kept up so I borrowed a whole rack and the car fired right up.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I would check the coil harness for damage or shorts first. I had a harness short and the car wouldn't run, just misfire and backfire. Swapped the coils one at a time and it kept up so I borrowed a whole rack and the car fired right up.
inspected everything as i swapped it, no breaks in the wires anywhere and no damage.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Sorry sir, you are incorrect. What you say is contrary to the millions of coils in use, many of which function perfectly for hundreds of thousands of miles. Coils are potted in an insulation material and baked to cure and solidify the compound. If there were winding-to-winding shorts, the coil would soon fail completely as the arcing would quickly consume the potting compound.

Do you have experience in winding motors and transformers?

In trouble shooting these engines, it's often too easy to be a parts swapper starting with the ignition coils. Very amateur. And expensive. These coils are some of the most reliable ignition coils ever designed. The OP may have other issues that's why his starting point should be to move the coils around and see where the problem goes.
sorry sir but don't tell me coil windings can't short......I don't care how they are wound no insulation is perfect all the time.. geez you make it sound like its impossible. Coils can fail just like any other part!
Old 11-17-2009, 10:06 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by O2Form
Coils can fail just like any other part!
That's the point exactly. They can fail but they won't weaken over time with use. If they fail, they will function properly up until failure without any reduction in output voltage prior to the failure.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will need to use the truck coil bracket and it mounts the coils up higher. SO! The truck coils will not clear your stock fuel line, you will need to install a after market fuel rail in order to be able to use those coils. One thing nice about them is that you can chance your plugs with out having to remove the coil packs to get in there.

Good luck
Old 11-18-2009, 06:30 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Here's the link to the coil swap thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...p-18-6-tq.html

It's a very long thread but makes for good reading.

You'll want to look at post 18 for the correct parts.

Posts 48 & 72 detail the installation and clearance issues.

If you're not upgrading to the truck coils with the heat sinks on the back, don't bother as these are the only ones that improve performance.

The installation can be done without changing fuel rails.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
That's the point exactly. They can fail but they won't weaken over time with use. If they fail, they will function properly up until failure without any reduction in output voltage prior to the failure.
bs..............
Old 11-18-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Resident

^^Maybe with old SBC coils you are right but not with GEN III or GEN IV style coil packs...Sorry
Old 11-18-2009, 05:22 PM
Launching!

I have worked on thousands of vehicles in 47 years in the business. And i have looked at endless scope patterns in that time frame. I will tell you that coil output can definately drop off. Basically coils are very reliable but they can loose spark energy. Case in point chrysler V8 coils have a nasty habit of going bad and the spark energy falls off. I had a 318 with a drivibality problem that stumped several mechanics. The owner had the problem for almost a year before bringing to my shop. A quick run on the dyne with a cylinder scope showed the culprit. The coil was WEAK. I also had a ford turbo coupe last month that had a mid range BOG. It was only between 2000 and 4000 RPM's. Guess what it was the summit coil the customer installed. Coils can and do break down and reduce spark energy. I will admit that GM coils are problem free to an extent. But in 47 years in the business NEVER SAY NEVER. That is a statement that can bite you in the BUTT Hope this Helps TOM

Last edited by tom falco; 11-18-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:32 PM
Banned

Tom yer a smart man! So am I!