Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

100 MAF's comparsion

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 07:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do any of those 100mm Maf's have the laminar flow straighteners? You know that grid.
The removes or lessens the requirement to have approximately 10 times its diameter in front of the element and 2-5 times the diameter after the element to maintain accuracy.
The sensor is not accurate 100% of the time unless this condition is meet. On the F-body with the short run up to the lid, I couldn't figure out how do this without the screen. So I'm going to go Speed density on my set up for the 417ci. I'm not sure but it looked to me that all of the 100mm maf had no screens. They would work fine in the air system they were designed for because they had long runs up to the sensor the F-body doesn't.
Ed

turbulence causes lower readings:

When you port the MAF housing and/or remove the screens you are causing air to move by the sensors that is not being measured. Lower frequency outputs are being read by the lookup charts and the calculations are based on lower than actual airfl

Last edited by BRD-PREY; 11-24-2009 at 05:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-23-2009, 08:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the info in this thread on HP Tuners.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...t=26546&page=4
Old 11-23-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

never checked it myself, but the fast toys company says the 85mm maf actually has a 90mm inside diameter, so using the fast toys 85mm lid and a gm 85mm maf, you actually have 90mm all the way to the throttle body...
Old 11-24-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by t/a98
never checked it myself, but the fast toys company says the 85mm maf actually has a 90mm inside diameter, so using the fast toys 85mm lid and a gm 85mm maf, you actually have 90mm all the way to the throttle body...
The lid inside diameter is 90mm so that the 85mm maf can fit into it. I have this setup and have measured the maf and lid. The maf is the smallest part at 85mm, but it works good for me.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silverz28camaro
The lid inside diameter is 90mm so that the 85mm maf can fit into it. I have this setup and have measured the maf and lid. The maf is the smallest part at 85mm, but it works good for me.
He's talking about the fast toys 98mm Lid.

This comes up FTP website.

Why Use The Fast Toys Air Lid & 85mm MAF?
What people commonly refer to as an "85 mm MAF" is actually larger than 85mm. The OD is actually 96 mm and the ID is 90 mm. Starting is 2001, GM added the 85 mm MAF to it's highest performing engines (Corvette LS6, Corvete LS1 etc). After 2002, all GM V8 cars and trucks use the 85 mm MAF for better performance.

Unfortunately, 98-02 LS1 Camaro's and Firebirds were stuck using the smaller MAF which has an OD of 88 mm and an ID of 74 mm. This is not ideal for the best performance. On our flow bench, the Fast Toys Air Lid flowed 14.5 % more than the most popular aftermarket air lid!

To work with the 85mm MAF, the Fast Toys High Flow Air Lid features a giant 98 mm ID. This makes the ID of our lid about 9-10 mm bigger than other aftermarket lids. Since area is pie R squared, the outlet area of our air lid is about 20 % larger that what is currently available from other manufacturers. On our flow bench, the Fast Toys Air Lid flowed 14.5 % more than the nearest competitor! The OD of the air lid is 103-104 mm.

On top of that, we have significantly increased the overall volume of the air lid compared to everyone else. Higher volumes support larger horsepower and torque improvements. The Fast Toys air lid has 14 % more volume than the most popular aftermarket lid and a whopping 27 % more volume than the stock lid (baffles removed)!

Testing on a mild cam, bolt on stock cubic inch motor, the installation of the Fast Toys 98 mm air lid resulted in a .9 MPH increase in the quarter mile! Stroker, heads/cam and more powerful motors will benefit even further from the increased air flow. Imagine what motors running speed density tuning without a MAF can gain!
Old 11-24-2009, 04:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
i haven't actually done it yet. I sold all my old parts for the new build, then sold my TSP 100mm MAF in favor of other parts, thinking that i would go the SD route. Now, the build is almost finished and i'm contemplating whether or not to pick up another MAF. the SD vs. MAF argument never seems to get anywhere. half the people say MAF is best and the other half say SD is superior. I don't see how SD could be any better if the MAF isn't a choke in your intake tract. i'll have a 104mm lid, 100mm MAF, and a 92mm TB...what difference would it make either way, right?
Both arrangements have their good points, but our engines are 'peppier' or snappier in SD. They have that nice crisp tuned-carb quick response.

Quick Reply: 100 MAF's comparsion