Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMMG with CME question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GMMG with CME question...

Does anyone have this set-up? How do they fit together? Does it take any modifications or is it a simple bolt-on? Does it alter the sound of the GMMG any? I'm considering it but don't know anyone that has it. Any comments would be appreciated!
Old 11-18-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

It should fit together just fine. It shouldn't change the sound much, if any, at all. Do it, I really want to, but the wife, she has different ideas for the $
Old 11-19-2009, 12:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just had this done. I order my CME tips off ebay and got the new fiberglass valance from 6liter. Now to start with yall know aftermarket stuff is going to do one of 2 things either it's going to go on perfect or you gonna have to modify stuff. Well I had to mod my stuff. I took mine to a local midas which this guy does a great job on exhaust but before that. When I got the tips in, I took my GMMG oval tips off and then I tried to I tried to put the tips on myself they didn't fit, either one of the pipes was about 1inch off so I get slip fit it over the GMMG exhaust pipe. So then I took it to midas what he had to do he had to cut a little out of the on pipe right after the chamber muffler going to the driver side exit. By him cutting that and taking a little piece out of it it made the driver side pipe be more outward (An Line up and centered the CME tips) so I can bolt the CME tips before and after the bends. I'll try to get yall pictures. The labor was 1hr.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this set up. Best thing to do is take it to an exhaust shop. I used to have the 6liter valence and after market CME tips, but I recently put on a OEM valence. I was able to tell the difference between the 6liter valences and OEM onces which bothered me. I'm sure most can't tell and even if you could it wouldn't bother most people.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just bought GMMG 2 weeks ago from my buddy. Im putting it on my SS with CME.

Looking forward to seeing your pics fellas.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
I have this set up. Best thing to do is take it to an exhaust shop. I used to have the 6liter valence and after market CME tips, but I recently put on a OEM valence. I was able to tell the difference between the 6liter valences and OEM onces which bothered me. I'm sure most can't tell and even if you could it wouldn't bother most people.
what was the difference in the two valences?
Old 11-19-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alexe56
Does anyone have this set-up? How do they fit together? Does it take any modifications or is it a simple bolt-on? Does it alter the sound of the GMMG any? I'm considering it but don't know anyone that has it. Any comments would be appreciated!
I don't think it sounds any different to me. From the outside it sounds the same. I think when your in the car and you have the tops off or the window down it may sound a little different. I guess cause instead of the tips being out wider you hear it more than the tips being in the center. But honestly yall I'm hearing imparied just enough that I where I supposed to wear hearing aids. But I will tell you I can still hear the baby (car) talking to me and I have Kooks LT's and Catted Y-Pipe and VRX3(clone). Here are yall pictures. You can see where he cut and welded right after the chambers on the drivers and passenger side. Hope this helps yall out, he did it that way so I can bolt and unbolt the 90 degree bends to the exit of the GMMG. I have a set of SLP quad tips on the way and got 2 new 90 degree bends for them so I'll will keep yall updated once they are complete. It might be Sat. or later next week. An now for yall pictures. Hey yall it won't let me load the pictures I will try again later.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thewholefnshow1
I don't think it sounds any different to me. From the outside it sounds the same. I think when your in the car and you have the tops off or the window down it may sound a little different. I guess cause instead of the tips being out wider you hear it more than the tips being in the center. But honestly yall I'm hearing imparied just enough that I where I supposed to wear hearing aids. But I will tell you I can still hear the baby (car) talking to me and I have Kooks LT's and Catted Y-Pipe and VRX3(clone). Here are yall pictures. You can see where he cut and welded right after the chambers on the drivers and passenger side. Hope this helps yall out, he did it that way so I can bolt and unbolt the 90 degree bends to the exit of the GMMG. I have a set of SLP quad tips on the way and got 2 new 90 degree bends for them so I'll will keep yall updated once they are complete. It might be Sat. or later next week. An now for yall pictures. Hey yall it won't let me load the pictures I will try again later.
Okay here yall go:
Attached Thumbnails GMMG with CME question...-gmmg1.jpg   GMMG with CME question...-gmmg2.jpg   GMMG with CME question...-gmmg3.jpg   GMMG with CME question...-gmmg4.jpg  
Old 11-19-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by carl06gt
what was the difference in the two valences?
Well if someone can post pics I can point it out. I would post pics, but I don't wanna
Old 11-20-2009, 05:15 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the replies! Not sure I want to cut my GMMG to make it fit... I was hoping it would bolt right up to it!
Old 11-20-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
Well if someone can post pics I can point it out. I would post pics, but I don't wanna
Post the pics I want to see them man!!!
Old 11-21-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for all the replies! Not sure I want to cut my GMMG to make it fit... I was hoping it would bolt right up to it!
Hey You may can get the elbows to bolt on but you might have to add some pipe where the bends meet the tips and have those welded to the tips without touching the GMMG. You can make anything fit the way you want to it may just take a little more or less time. I done mine that way cause I told the exhaust guy that I wanted the bends to be bolted on to the GMMG exit and he said he was going to have to do that so the pipes will center right so I can unbolt the whole thing anywhere if I want to. But I'm sure if youd don't want to touch the GMMG I'm sure the shop can make that happen with a little extra pipe.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

My favorite part of the GMMG is that you can see the chambered mufflers when riding behind it. If you put on the CME can you still see the GMMG?
Old 11-24-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

dude if i paid over $700 for chambered exhaust i wouldn't want to cut it either, i'd expect it to fit especially when i look at pics like this on their site

if it were me i'd be pissed but then again i paid less than $150 for chambered mufflers and sounds the same as GMMG, IMHO people just buy it for the name and that little badge
Old 11-25-2009, 03:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wg871
My favorite part of the GMMG is that you can see the chambered mufflers when riding behind it. If you put on the CME can you still see the GMMG?
No you can really see it and you might be surprised of how many people don't know about the system. All they know is that the car sounds damn good. An that's from people who know about cars and the one's who don't know about cars or care about them.

Originally Posted by King Nothing
dude if i paid over $700 for chambered exhaust i wouldn't want to cut it either, i'd expect it to fit especially when i look at pics like this on their site

if it were me i'd be pissed but then again i paid less than $150 for chambered mufflers and sounds the same as GMMG, IMHO people just buy it for the name and that little badge
Well You have to remember they made the GMMG system so yes it may look picture perfect but it ain't. Now if they made and sold the 90 bends and exhaust I'm pretty sure it would fit picture perfect. I didn't pay nothing but 450 for mine used and to have it mated to a CME it's perfect for me. Or like you look at McDonald on TV and go to the resturant it looks like 2 different sandwiches sometimes. But hey King if you can copy the sound for a cheaper price then that's great. Me I just rather get the Catback cause I don't feel comfortable with people custom making mine or if they use cheap piping that will rust and what not.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how loud is the gmmg when driving? this is a a badass set up.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

too bad the valence is so expensive now. used to be able to get them from slp for pennies on the dollar.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Put my longtubes & ORY on last night my GMMG is loud now!
Old 11-27-2009, 02:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wg871
Put my longtubes & ORY on last night my GMMG is loud now!
I bet you really like it now, don't you? I love mine and I have Cats, yes it does get loud. I mainly love the tone. An when you have it on stock manifolds or LT's it has a great tone to it. I turn heads where ever I go and people tells me how good it sounds all the time. I notice alot of old guys say you don't hear them hitting a lick like mine. I guess not alot of people are camming them around here where I live but they may be doing it big but I can DD mine with no problem and drive it to the track and drive it home.

Originally Posted by ssjason232
too bad the valence is so expensive now. used to be able to get them from slp for pennies on the dollar.
You know 6literdesigns sell them and I think the valance is $450 to your door if I'm not mistaken from them. But I think there is a GMMG with A Center mount exhaust (CME) valance and CME dual tips on ebay right now as we speak.

Quick Reply: GMMG with CME question...