Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pacesetter problems + some

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 01:40 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Angry Pacesetter problems + some

Well I was installing my pacesetters and even thought it was going fine at first I've now had nothing but problems. All plugs and wires I was able to do fairly easy (don't know people say its hard). But the drivers side wasen't too hard, just had to sand down the block for 30 mins (ERR). Once they were up their I bolted everything down put in the new plugs and wires. Now I then try to re-attach the EGR tube and they don't line up. They come close but I have to bend the tube just for the bolts to come close to linning up but then they won't screw in all the way and one side open about 1/4 of inch. So pretty much no way of getting that bolted back up (Major exhaust leak since I can't get that in).

Then I've been working on the passanger side for 3 hours and still have yet to get the stock header off. Bolts are off, gaskets are out, but one of the EGR tube's will not unbolt. *The one that leads to the valve that then goes into the intake manifold. I've snapped two wrenches tring to get it off and their also seems to be no way to reach the bottom bolt of that. Barely any room at all to get them. Somehow mannaged to get a air gun in their and ran it at 100psi. Did not work and didn't want to make a lot of noise at 1am turning the compressor on to do 160psi. I can't get any farther because of this.

Will I throw a code if I block off the 3 EGR tubes? Since their seems to be no way I will get the drivers side one onto the header completly and the passanger side is not coming off.. maybe with a saw.
Old 12-13-2003, 06:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will probably get a code, but you can get Edit and delete the EGR & AIR, get a tuner with Edit to delete the EGR & AIR, or get a Predator and have them make you a custom tune to delete the EGR & AIR.

I'm sure that there are some other options that I haven't mentioned or better ways to do it that I just don't know about, some one might chime in with a better way.

That's the main reason that I like the Pacesetters that I have, they came with no Emissions fittings, so I knew that I had to have a custom Predator tune made with an AIR delete.
Old 12-13-2003, 09:45 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

MadIce... you must be talking about the AIR fitting on the drivers' side. There is no EGR connection on the drivers' side. If you need to fill a 1/4" gap between the fitting and the header, you could use the AIR block-off plates that most sponsers sell, and drill a hole in them to keep the AIR system working if you don't want to pay for deleting the codes yet. You will likely need a restrictor plate to keep the check valves in the AIR system from ticking anyway, so this would solve two problems at once. I have AIR restrictor plates and they work great (and are about 1/4" thick).

As for getting the EGR bolts off, if you are able to reach the bolt and just can't get it to break loose, you need something like PB Blaster to free it up. If you force it too much, you will snap the bolt head off and have even more issues. Let the PB soak it over night or something and you're almost certain to have an easy removal by morning.

Just to give you a quick run-down on AIR and EGR stuff:

There are two AIR tubes/fittings for the manifolds/headers. One on each side, they come down from the top and bolt to the top of the headers/manifolds.

There is one EGR fitting that comes off the side of the passenger side manifold/header and goes to the EGR module, then into the intake.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-13-2003, 11:02 AM
Customizing Director

Will I throw a code if I remove the AIR system but keep the EGR plugged in?
Old 12-13-2003, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
Will I throw a code if I remove the AIR system but keep the EGR plugged in?
You'll throw a code for the AIR system. It won't hurt performance but you will have that beautiful SES light.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:45 PM
Customizing Director

ERR, yea I was hoping that wouldn't throw a code. I know www.ls1camaro.net says removing the AIR will not throw a code but I guess not.
Old 12-13-2003, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
ERR, yea I was hoping that wouldn't throw a code. I know www.ls1camaro.net says removing the AIR will not throw a code but I guess not.
I've read that too, and I only know one person that never got a code after removing the AIR system and that was jrp here.
Old 12-13-2003, 01:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got the 01-02 headers that have no AIR or EGR fittings on them. So I just tore all those AIR pipes and AIR pump out, and Ive got an LS6 intake so i didnt have to do any EGR blocking off. I got an SES light from no EGR since i did the intake a while ago, and I dunno if i got a code from the AIR (theres only 1 SES light ) Run high enough octane and a low temp thermo and you dont need EGR, all it does is cover the inside of your intake, valves, and everything with carbon. And you dont need AIR if you dont have cats.
Old 12-13-2003, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

do you have cat's, madice?
if you dont have em, screw it and ditch the AIR tubes and get them deleted in teh PCM
or temporarily block off the fittings and point the AIR hose toward the ground or something
Old 12-13-2003, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by onyxxtreme
do you have cat's, madice?
if you dont have em, screw it and ditch the AIR tubes and get them deleted in teh PCM
or temporarily block off the fittings and point the AIR hose toward the ground or something
Even with cats I would recommend getting O2 sims or having them deleted in the PCM. You are changing the position of the cats with LT's and will more than likely set a code by trying to actually run the rear O2's. If I misunderstood what you meant by your post though than correct me
Old 12-14-2003, 12:09 PM
Customizing Director

BlackWS602 - Yea I was basically talking about the AIR and EGR tubes. When I had my converter tuned they already deleted the rear O2's for me, so no sims needed. I just spoke with speed inc and they said they will delete the EGR / AIR for me so I can take it all off and gain a lot more room. I did mannage to finally get everything off and get the headers on the car. I ran open headers home... WOW is it LOUD!