Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Delco PF46 redesigned?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to buy AC filters all the time. Then at one time, they weren't at the store anymore. I don't remember how long it was before they got back on the shelves. I made the assumption that whoever was doing the filters stopped making them and now they're probably made overseas someplace. I don't buy them anymore and I hear some drag racers have had lots of problems with them so now I try to buy Wix filters when possible.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 Wix
Old 01-18-2010, 06:53 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by rtr2001ss
I also use the longer filter than the stock size which in Delco was PF46.
Yhup. Just like with engines, brakes and *****, bigger is better!
Old 01-20-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alright, all this talk about filters got me looking at the ones that I currently have in my inventory. I have yet to tear one apart, as I plan to do, but here are a couple pictures of three AC Delco PF52 Oil Filters for my 99 Sonoma and 93 S10Blazer both with the 4.3L V6. I can't believe the differences in these filters that are supposed to be identical. Take look...

First of all look at the height of these suckers...

Next, the mounting face on each them are different...

The First (far left) seems to be the old design that I remember them having for the longest time. (My remaining PF46 for the Firebird match this design, so I plan to use them up without fear of having an inferior filter taking care of my oil.)

The Second (center) is just a bit shorter, and has a much smaller taper, but seems to retain a similar design with the same 6 holes.

The Third (far right) is extremely shorter than both the previous two, has no taper at all, and the face now has 8 holes.

I know this post mimics the O.P.'s first, but I just wanted to put this out there. It's hard to believe this much change would be necessary to a product that has worked so well for so long. But there it is, right before my eyes. Terrible. Thats the only word I can use to describe it.

I plan to use up my current inventory of Delco filters, but once they are gone, I believe I have no choice but to switch to a better one.

Through a little research, I believe Amsoil seems to be the best of the best. I may get a few of these for the car(s), but I can't bring myself to pay that price for the daily driver vehicle's filters. I'll probably go with Wix or something similar that is reasonably priced.

Thanks to the O.P. for creating this thread and to all who have posted in it. Good job, gentlemen.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:00 AM
TECH Resident

Amsoil Eao filter here!
Old 01-21-2010, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Ok this may sound weird.

I have been running mobil 1 and a k&n filter. When I would crank my car up on a cold morning the motor was tapping bad. When it warmed up to about 160* no more tapping. I just figured it was piston slap.

The last time I changed my oil the part's store was out of k&n filters so I got the ac delco pf46 filter, same style as the one on the right. It was about 30* outside the day after I changed the oil and it has ZERO tapping now.

I couldn't figure why it stopped when I put the delco filter on there, but hey it made me happy because it doesn't tap.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive run Delco's on my **** and my parents vehicles for years without a problem. Run in on the race car that sees 70+ psi of oil pressure on a regular basis without a problem as well.

Good thread though, nice info in here...just figured I'd throw my 2 cents in.

Quick Reply: AC Delco PF46 redesigned?