Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More cost efficient mod?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010 | 02:57 AM
TECH Regular

Default More cost efficient mod?

Okay guys, need some input about what to change along with the cam next week. Im firing a Torquer 2 in. My current mods are in sig. The choices I had in mind were a ported throttle body or swapping to LT's. The ported TB is obviously the cheaper mod, but in comparison to dollars spent would it be the more cost effective mod? Would it be more efficient in power gain to spend more and get some LT's and do the ported TB later? Appreciate the opinions as always
Old 01-08-2010 | 03:18 AM
TECH Regular

long tubes for sure....then do a hand port job on your stock throttlebody,later on get a throttle body if you still want,,good luck
Old 01-08-2010 | 06:05 AM
Teching In

From what I have read you would want to do the LT's and TB before the new cam. Let the car breath in and out before a cam. You will not get the gains you want out of the cam until you do. You also will want to get a new catback.
Old 01-08-2010 | 07:25 AM
TECH Junkie

honestly, you're not gonna gain huge power going from the mids to the LTs.

i mean figure on a stock engine, going from stock manifolds/ypipe/cats to LTs and ORP only gains you 15-20hp
stock to mids/orp probably is 12-15hp

so even with the cam you'll likely see minimal gains for the cost.

i say save the money on both and get a FAST intake when you can. you'll see more gains with that than you will the other 2 combined likely.

granted you can port your TB for basically free.

i say stick with what you have and put the money towards more worthwhile upgrades
Old 01-08-2010 | 07:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by InheritedZ28
You also will want to get a new catback.

he has a cutout....my guess is he likes the stocker for its lack of attention getting noise.

and the cutout is there for the power.
Old 01-08-2010 | 10:38 AM
11 Second Club

sell your mids and get longtubes and a pulley

I wouldn't even think about a fast intake unless you find one dirt cheap...I mean retard cheap
Old 01-08-2010 | 11:00 AM
TECH Junkie

WHY NOT?

he's gonna be running a decent cam. why NOT upgrade and pick up 20hp.

LTs are't gonna gain you 20hp over mids
Old 01-08-2010 | 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

If your'e looking for bang for the buck go ahead and get shot of Nos.
Old 01-08-2010 | 12:33 PM
11 Second Club

no guarantee he will gain 20hp over a LS6 intake either, I haven't been fully tuned yet and my cam handicaps for intake but based on my track results I estimate I gained about 20rwhp over the LS1 intake I had

it sounds like he is after bang/buck, which IMO the fast is at the bottom of that list unless you score a used one dirt cheap and get a decent price for the current ls6 intake...in which case go for it...but keep in mind you're going to need a $200+ tb too

I'm just thinking he can likely get a decent amount for his mids from someone who can't run longtubes...then pick up a set of the cheap longtubes and not be in it for much

then a pulley for another 5-10hp, port his own tb or get a deal on one here in the classifieds

oh and do not forget the price of the DYNO tune you are going to need before you start blowing all your funds...the dyno tune is going to be a bigger bang for buck than throwing more parts at the car and running a crap *** tune (speaking from experience here)

whichever you decide be sure to check the classifieds here for deals, they move fast as new stuff is constantly being posted and it's nearly always MUCH cheaper than anywhere else which is great for building power on a budget
Old 01-08-2010 | 12:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by teke184
WHY NOT?

he's gonna be running a decent cam. why NOT upgrade and pick up 20hp.

LTs are't gonna gain you 20hp over mids
This was why I made this thread....because the cost of doing LT's may not yield the power increase per dollar as opposed to a ported throttle body for less money. Id love to upgrade my intake/TB combo, just isnt something I can afford yet.

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
no guarantee he will gain 20hp over a LS6 intake either, I haven't been fully tuned yet and my cam handicaps for intake but based on my track results I estimate I gained about 20rwhp over the LS1 intake I had

it sounds like he is after bang/buck, which IMO the fast is at the bottom of that list unless you score a used one dirt cheap and get a decent price for the current ls6 intake...in which case go for it...but keep in mind you're going to need a $200+ tb too

I'm just thinking he can likely get a decent amount for his mids from someone who can't run longtubes...then pick up a set of the cheap longtubes and not be in it for much

then a pulley for another 5-10hp, port his own tb or get a deal on one here in the classifieds

oh and do not forget the price of the DYNO tune you are going to need before you start blowing all your funds...the dyno tune is going to be a bigger bang for buck than throwing more parts at the car and running a crap *** tune (speaking from experience here)

whichever you decide be sure to check the classifieds here for deals, they move fast as new stuff is constantly being posted and it's nearly always MUCH cheaper than anywhere else which is great for building power on a budget
I have a pulley already, forgot to add that in my sig. Made the thread because I thought by going to LT's I might pick up 5-10 over the mids and the ported throttle body might pick up 3-5? Not sure what they normally pick up if any. I like your idea of selling the mids and using those funds toward some LT's.

Also, the car is being dyno tuned the same day of the install so I have that covered. Appreciate the suggestions guys!
Old 01-08-2010 | 01:03 PM
11 Second Club

no problem man, oh...another idea

you might consider saving some of those funds for good tires if you don't have any, spinning isn't much fun
Old 01-08-2010 | 01:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
no problem man, oh...another idea

you might consider saving some of those funds for good tires if you don't have any, spinning isn't much fun
Ya that will be on the slate soon. Well Im thinking the ebay LT's are looking like a possibility. Did a search and it seems the vast majority of those who got them have done pretty well with them, while the ones who have other types are against them. Cant really find dyno comparisons.

Do cam or H/C cars normally see any increase with a ported throttle body or is it mainly just better throttle response?
Old 01-08-2010 | 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

I did a ported TB after my cam and headers and only noticed a slightly better throttle response in the mid RPMs.
Old 01-08-2010 | 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

dont waste your money on a FAST, stay with the LS6 intake. Port your own TB with a dremel tool with a sander band....I ported mine to a knife edge and it is like a mirror, big difference i think.
Old 01-08-2010 | 05:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Arctic2002ss
I did a ported TB after my cam and headers and only noticed a slightly better throttle response in the mid RPMs.
Not expecting any big hp increase, but I am curious to see what numbers were after doing one.
Old 01-08-2010 | 09:45 PM
12 Second Club

Is there a right up on how to hand-port a stock TB?
Old 01-09-2010 | 07:38 AM
9 Second Club

Get a set of used 243 heads for $400. Have a shop mill them .020 for $50. Buy new gm MLS gaskets from Scoggin Dickey $29 and head bolts $40. Now you will have 11:1 compression and a better set of heads. Atleast a 20-25 hp gain for around $500.

I'm sure now that I got a ported fast 85 intake and when I throw an underdrive pulley on my car I will be around 430 rwhp. Pretty damn good for a 224 cam,non ported heads, $400 used 243 heads, $50 to have them milled, $180 stainless ebay headers, $300 fast intake, home built exhaust and a $30 manual cutout. People spend $1000's more than I have and run way bigger cams to make similar power.

Last edited by Nitroused383; 01-09-2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-16-2010 | 12:05 AM
TECH Regular

Well got the Torquer 2 in and tuned her.....she made 401 with the mods in sig. So the original question still stands. Im happy and surprised to break 400 with the mids. Right now shes got the stock catback with a magnaflow muffler, so shes really quiet despite the cam. Thinking about doing a catback and ported throttle body (I need to find someone who just sells them outright).
Old 01-16-2010 | 01:18 AM
FormerVendor

Mail order tuning offers a lot of bang for your buck! http://www.tunedbyfrost.com/services2.htm
Old 01-16-2010 | 02:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Do both ported tbs are cheap. Your talkin another 50 bucks