Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve breathers that plug onto your oil fill location yes/no?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 01:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

spot on i'm glad we're on the same page you know my fresh air line doesn't have vac. at least at idle anyway and teke184 where did you cause the leak hes right anything between the pcv valve and intake you just made a vacum leak propably 3x the pcv valve it self that section of the sys is the only one that can change the amount of vacum leak hope all this helps

Last edited by ssdeuce74; 01-21-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

****, waiting on damian to chime in also. maybe he has the same theory and logic as i do. somebody PM him and tell him to chime in
Old 01-21-2010, 07:58 PM
11 Second Club

the cure for oil in the intake is to remove the ENTIRE PCV system & plug all holes in the valve covers. i had a popular catch can on my car & was still getting a trace of oil in the intake. on the spray that can lead to detonation. i removed all hoses & plugged them & have a Metco breather on the way. this way will cause no tune issues that i can see.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:35 AM
Staging Lane

I have a catch can, a K&N breather in oil fill and a "home made" catch can off of the drivers side valve cover.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

I had a metco breather on mine but I got tired of the oil spewing out onto my LT's. I need to go thru my PCV system and make sure all's well. I did the following to mine;

Breather in rear or driver side valve cover
Hose from valve cover to intake(no PCV or catch can)
Metco breather in place of oil cap.

Does everything sound right for my setup? I'm wanting to add a catch can soon.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

header evac send all that crap out the exhaust instead of in or on top the engine unless you get grommets with baffles in them so the oil dosen't have a straight shot to the breather
Old 03-01-2010, 10:41 PM
12 Second Club

I'd have to agree with everyone who believes that the stock pcv system with the breather WILL allow UNmetered air in causing high ltft's. Even though a pcv valve will allow only so much air to enter the intake once you create a fresh air source closer to the vacuum point on the passenger valve cover it will draw some or most of the air from the breather rather than the throttle body. A friend of mine with a stock pcv system put a metco breather on and his ltft's are jacked up. We will experiment with this soon to make sure. In my case i have a breather but im also mafless so this does not affect my tune. Also I find it hard to believe the maf was programmed knowing the pcv valve's airflow and accounting for it.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AFTICA
You have that somewhat mixed up. The pcv system pulls air from the FRESH air source, into the crankcase, up through the pcv line and into the throttle body. The pcv valve is doing the metering, not anything else.
The Positive Crankcase Ventilation system doesn't pull anything. It is a check valve to relieve the moderate difference in pressure inside the crankcase. As for metering, you are confusing measuring to valving. The MAF sensor measures airflow and sends that analog information to the PCM and the PCV valve mechanically controls the positive pressure as a check valve should. If the hose that runs between valve cover to the back of the throttle body is opened, then you have a giant vacuum leak. If you remove the PCV system then you must plug the tube / hole where the PCV hose goes into the throttle body.

Please everyone, don't remove the PCV system on your daily driver.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:35 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If you put a breather on, you have to cap all connections to the intake/TB. This will stop all of the unmetered air issues, and will 100% stop the oil in the intake issue.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Toys Performance Parts
We sell the Metco ones and they work great. Just putt off the oil cap and screw the metco breather in
How much? Pics?

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
If you put a breather on, you have to cap all connections to the intake/TB. This will stop all of the unmetered air issues, and will 100% stop the oil in the intake issue.
Is just one breather enough, do you ever have issues with oil coming out of the breather? I would like to use one to stop burning oil, I can smell a little oil burn after a hard run.

and as far as the PCV metering... it does not meter anything, its a check valve, it opens under vacuum, and closes under lack of vacuum or under intake pressure conditions, such as boost or a backfire, some manufacturers have even called them flame arrestors becuase they close when there is a backfire into the intake.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Race your car!

The onebreather should be enough, you can run a hose between the back of the drivers side around to the back nipple on the passenger's side so the pressure is equeal, then just cap everything.

I'd rip the PCV off 100%, and make sure there's no hookup to the intake anywhere from the crankcase, this will 100% stop the oil from getting in the engine bay.

I usually cleaned the metco breather off with some carb clean on a regular basis, think of it like this, a normal air filter stops stuff like dirt and oil from getting into the intake, the filter, if you clean it it will stop the oil mist from getting all over the engine bay no problem.

I've seen people put a cloth ring around the breather filters to catch the oil in the past, but I always found by keeping the filter clean it would do it's job no problem.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
The onebreather should be enough, you can run a hose between the back of the drivers side around to the back nipple on the passenger's side so the pressure is equeal, then just cap everything.

I'd rip the PCV off 100%, and make sure there's no hookup to the intake anywhere from the crankcase, this will 100% stop the oil from getting in the engine bay.

I usually cleaned the metco breather off with some carb clean on a regular basis, think of it like this, a normal air filter stops stuff like dirt and oil from getting into the intake, the filter, if you clean it it will stop the oil mist from getting all over the engine bay no problem.

I've seen people put a cloth ring around the breather filters to catch the oil in the past, but I always found by keeping the filter clean it would do it's job no problem.
Thanks, I would like to see if there is some sort of little foam surround I could find to put around it too..
Old 03-02-2010, 03:57 PM
9 Second Club

Also, if your run the breathers and delete the pcv system you will need to change your oil very frequently. Don't try going 3000 miles between changes and expect your bearings to live for long. The PCV systems routes oil contaminants back into the intake to be burned. They don't get burned without the PCV. I have dual breathers and change my oil every time I take it to the track and filter every other time. The oil smells like gas after 5-6 passes.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:56 PM
12 Second Club

I'm running pcv/catch can and breather filter. I dont have any issue on my motor, mods are H/C, headers, PP intake, MW TB, heads have 57cc chambers so my compresion is up from stock. I dont get SES light, A/F is good. the 25% fuel added is caused from too much air leaking into the intake system. be the pcv or intake gasket. therfore the front 02 oxygen sensors are picking up a lean condition there for adding fuel...... pcv is only for emmisions. back in the day the crankcase oil/fuel mist was vented by breather caps. vacum pumps is commonly used on high HP motors help keep the piston ring seals seated against the piston for optimum compression and at the same time minimize oil aeration. if your car is a street N strip type then I dont see why/how breather and catch can will hurt engine performance, but for a daily driver atleast you need a catch can and pcv system.....
Old 03-02-2010, 06:06 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Thanks, I would like to see if there is some sort of little foam surround I could find to put around it too..
Buy a sweatband, you know the kind that is worn around the wrist while playing sports
Old 03-02-2010, 06:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Z28/2002
Buy a sweatband, you know the kind that is worn around the wrist while playing sports
Thats a great idea, thanks man...
Old 01-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Launching!

subscribed !!
if the idea of the pcv system is just emissions ... im sure there is a way to reduce oil inside our intake.. without changing oil every 3000 miles !! my intake is messy but hey im not retarted to change oil monthly on a DD.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:54 AM
Teching In

If I delete the whole pcv and use a breather on the passenger side valve cover do I need to put a breather on the driver side also? I already plugged all the hose fittings
Old 05-03-2011, 09:05 AM
Race your car!

Joey you can just run a rubber hose from teh crovers side to the passenger's side, utilize the PCV connections to connect the 2 valve covers if you like.. this way there's equeal pressure on the top of both sides of the motor if you're worried about it.
Then cap the intake, front pcv connection point, and shitcan that little rubber line running from the TB to the valve cover as well.

Reaperchild you should be changing the oil every 3000 regardless wether you have a PCV on the car or not. Don't be a cheap ***.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:24 AM
12 Second Club

yeah i have heard many people talk about the pcv mod and how successful it is. im doing it very soon to my ls1. running dual breathers on the valve covers. but im trying to find something cheaper than 40 dollars a pop for a damn air filter with a seal and o-ring around it. ill probably end up trying to fab up my own.

Quick Reply: Valve breathers that plug onto your oil fill location yes/no?