Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing honeycomb in ws6 nostrils

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003 | 09:54 AM
WARNING: BAD TRADER STATUS

Default Removing honeycomb in ws6 nostrils

Has anyong removed the really restrictive honeycomb in the nostrils of the ws6? It seems like with that removed you would pick up a lot more air resulting in more power. There also is a water deflector behind the honeycomb so you dont have to worry about water in you air cleaner.
Old 12-20-2003 | 10:02 AM
Launching!

i've removed the water baffles ,but as far as honeycomb, are you talking about the plastic inserts??? thats the only honeycomb shaped thing i've seen..and as far as i'm concerned that wouldn't help if removed...
Old 12-20-2003 | 10:03 AM
On The Tree

I have removed the baffles. Kept the honeycombe pieces for appearances. No problems with water getting into the intake system. How much of a gain if any.....dunno.
Old 12-20-2003 | 10:06 AM

I'm talking about the plastic inserts. As far as the deflector behind them when you removed that how much rain have you driven in? You havnt got any rain in your filter?
Old 12-20-2003 | 10:06 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Removing those baffles won't do ****, it will look ugly though. If you want to have any kind of measurable gain in power, by the BG Ram Air kit. It directly seals the nostrils to the front of the air box. You can buy optional rain blockers, and the corner inserts that make it all look stock. You can buy it at www.ls1speed.com-----> it's in the intake/induction section.

Rob
Old 12-20-2003 | 10:11 AM

I've got the volant cold air kit on my ls1. With that kit it seals up against the hood with a rubber cushion. Making it a real cold air kit, I saw 14wrh with this kit.
Old 12-20-2003 | 10:49 AM
On The Tree

I have driven in many a rainstorms. No problems with water getting past the filter. And the filter itself have never been soaked.

Removing just the baffles, to me, is not ugly. But the inserts as well as the baffles looks different. The BG just cleans up the look.
Old 12-20-2003 | 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

was that 14 rwhp over stock or a lid? My SLP rubs the hood and looks cheap compared to the other lids, so i was considering a Volant or BG kit.
thanks
Old 12-20-2003 | 11:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Baffles gone for years, driven rain, snow and all other conditions without issues.

I leave the honey comb screens in, sometimes take them out at the track.
Old 12-20-2003 | 03:58 PM

That was 14rwhp over stock. Also helped about 1/2 a mile to the gallon on fuel milage.
Old 12-20-2003 | 07:04 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Personally I'm not a big fan of the Volant kit. With a TSP Lid and Holley or other high-flow filter, you would have probably seen more than 14rwhp.

"Removing just the baffles, to me, is not ugly. But the inserts as well as the baffles looks different. The BG just cleans up the look."

I was talking about removing the plastic honeycomb nostril pieces only. The BG Ram Air kit definately cleans up the look, and is much more effective with the weather stripping and all. But it is pretty damned expensive for something you really can't measure, other than by the ol' *** dynometer. Does anyone have the kit with before and after ETs? That's really the answer to weather or not its worth it.

Rob
Old 12-20-2003 | 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the reply, I am also wanting to remove the baffles, but leave in the honeycomb. I'm not sure if I can do that with the BG kit, so Volant was my 2nd choice. I agree with BAD *** TA WS6, I would also like to see some before and after ET's, especially for the price of the BG kit....ouch!
Old 12-20-2003 | 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

i took out the honey comb things too, looks ok as long as u clean that delfector really good and get the mounting hole cut out, but i dont think its worth cutting, wish it was like the SS where it can pop out and will look a lot better. and i honestly saw better gas mileage with them out. call me stupid,crazy or whatever but with them in i was gettin about 17.5 mpg and could reach 18.5 in the city and now i get about 16.5-17 and can barely hit 18. everytime i fill up i record fuel mileage and i have it written it all down, i think its weird as hell but numbers dont lie, and nothing was changed in the mean time
Old 12-20-2003 | 10:05 PM

So you are saying you lost gas milage when you removed the honeycomb baffles.
Old 12-20-2003 | 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

damn, sorry i have a tendency to mess up my posts lol other way around with them out i saw better gas mileage.....does that seem weird to u guys too? such a little difference?
Old 12-21-2003 | 12:47 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Heh, you mean with them in, you saw better gas mileage... I feel your pain, brain farts always hit me when I'm on here trying to post

Rob
Old 12-21-2003 | 09:08 AM

Makes sense to me. Running with more airflow and efficency means better milage I would think.
Old 12-21-2003 | 10:44 AM
11 Second Club

Before I bought the BG Ram Air kit, I tried a homemade foam piece that sealed the airbox to the hood & took out the baffles, which is what the BG kit actually does only much nicer looking. On the same night at the track I tried it sealed & unsealed. Sealed consistantly gave me a tenth and 1 mph versus unsealed. That was when it was just a bolt-on car. The BG kit looks like it came from the factory that way. I have never used the rain blocker that comes with the kit and the most water I've seen in the airbox was just a light mist after a downpouring rain at 60 mph.I do remove the little rubber grommets that come with the BG kit to seal off the various holes in the stock hood when I know it's going to rain.It gives any water that gets in the nostrils a place to drain out. Tried taking out the honeycombs at the track to see if it made any difference, it didn't.
Old 12-21-2003 | 01:29 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Sweet thanks for the response. I'm going to do this, and a ported TB over the winter to finish off my bolt ons then. It's still too expensive though..

Quick Reply: Removing honeycomb in ws6 nostrils