Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Make your own oil cap breather ~$20 *Guide*

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 09:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy P
But his breathers have a integrated perforated baffel that helps prevent any mist escaping from the breather. lol
And it has a one way checkvalve in it to prevent any vapors escaping into the engine compartment. Not the same as the $20 do-it-yourself at all.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:46 PM
12 Second Club

wat is the advantage and disadvantage to tearing down the pcv system and putting on a breather. i love the idea of cleaning **** out of the engine bay. any1 have a link of the extraction on the pcv system, searched and couldnt find it
Old 12-06-2010, 04:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by s25hanh
wat is the advantage and disadvantage to tearing down the pcv system and putting on a breather. i love the idea of cleaning **** out of the engine bay. any1 have a link of the extraction on the pcv system, searched and couldnt find it
The PCV is the source of the oil that gets into the intake
Old 12-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Teching In

Pretty cool! I would have never thought about doing that. So, what exactly are the benefits of a breather? I've always wondered what they were.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Hamrdown
Nice job and the Simpson's underwear in the floor is halarious and disturbing.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:25 AM
Teching In

ok read the entire post but still lookin 4 a verdict!! ditch the pvc and go with the breather setup or is it really worth it?
Old 12-08-2010, 07:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DRAGGIN10
ok read the entire post but still lookin 4 a verdict!! ditch the pvc and go with the breather setup or is it really worth it?
exactlyyy wat im tryin to say. and is there a how-to article on gettin the pcv out
Old 12-08-2010, 07:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SupaSupra
Pretty cool! I would have never thought about doing that. So, what exactly are the benefits of a breather? I've always wondered what they were.

Originally Posted by DRAGGIN10

Originally Posted by s25hanh
exactlyyy wat im tryin to say. and is there a how-to article on gettin the pcv out
Its all up to you. If you want to keep that nasty oil from building up in the intake then you need to get rid of the PCV. If you would like to see for yourself take the throttle body off and stick your hand in the intake. If you take out the PCV and plug the holes a breather is required to vent the crank case pressure. Instead of venting it into the intake you would be venting it to the atmosphere.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by speedsk899
Its all up to you. If you want to keep that nasty oil from building up in the intake then you need to get rid of the PCV. If you would like to see for yourself take the throttle body off and stick your hand in the intake. If you take out the PCV and plug the holes a breather is required to vent the crank case pressure. Instead of venting it into the intake you would be venting it to the atmosphere.
nicely put sir thank you much
Old 12-09-2010, 07:36 AM
12 Second Club

ok that makes alot of sense. thank u. then i guess after u block off the pcv in the throttle body u can start rippin the pcv system out starting from the throttle body out?
Old 12-10-2010, 05:59 PM
11 Second Club

You will need to cap the line that sticks out of the throttle body. That hose goes to the front line on the passenger side valve cover which will need to be capped also. There is a line that runs from the back of the driver side valve cover behind the intake to the rear line of the passenger side valve cover. It has been a while and my whole vacuum system has been modified but I think there may be a line that connects to it that will need to be capped off also. You can remove that hose and plug both valve covers if you want. If you do all of that you need to make sure you put a breather somewhere, like the oil cap, to relieve the crank case pressure. I have seen where guys will get a second passenger side valve cover and put it on the driver side with a breather there also.

If you do all of that you will have removed the entire PCV system.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The best way is to run BOTH but with the dirty side (PCV) ran with a catch can. The PCV system helps with crank case pressure IMO better than running with just an open breather because it "sucks" crank case pressure out through the PCV's closed system. Remember, there's little to no vacuum at WOT; therefore, the only system working to force pressure out of the crank case at idle and part throttle is the PCV system. Both ran together has worked great for me.

Last edited by Monte4ever; 01-02-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:10 PM
12 Second Club

You will need to cap the line that sticks out of the throttle body. That hose goes to the front line on the passenger side valve cover which will need to be capped also. There is a line that runs from the back of the driver side valve cover behind the intake to the rear line of the passenger side valve cover. It has been a while and my whole vacuum system has been modified but I think there may be a line that connects to it that will need to be capped off also. You can remove that hose and plug both valve covers if you want. If you do all of that you need to make sure you put a breather somewhere, like the oil cap, to relieve the crank case pressure. I have seen where guys will get a second passenger side valve cover and put it on the driver side with a breather there also.

If you do all of that you will have removed the entire PCV system.
do you know where i could possibly get those caps? ace hardware or autozone?
Old 01-04-2011, 12:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

any of the parts store have a variety of caps for covering vacuum tips of all sizes.

Quick Reply: Make your own oil cap breather ~$20 *Guide*