Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD Digital ignition? any real gains or is stock ignition good enough???

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 09:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD Digital ignition? any real gains or is stock ignition good enough???

So I was thinking about upgrading the ignition system to get a few extra hp...I currently have a heads/cam Trans Am and was looking to squeeze more hp out of it without spending a lot more $$$ (under 1000). I already have all the "bolt ons" (underdrive pulley, headers...etc) and I was thinking about ignition now...Of course I have upgraded wires (MSD) but was wondering about a box now. Can't seem to find much talk about ignition on here...does that mean most guys just run stock cause its just fine???
Old 01-23-2010, 09:25 PM
Launching!

***I have stock coils. I heard too many bad things about the MSD coil packs....
Old 01-23-2010, 09:44 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no "ignition box" for these cars. Coils are about it, and the MSD ones are a waste of BIG money. Guys are running 7's on GM coils, you'll be ok. Put that money elsewhere, the ignition system is fine stock.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TS6
There is no "ignition box" for these cars. Coils are about it, and the MSD ones are a waste of BIG money. Guys are running 7's on GM coils, you'll be ok. Put that money elsewhere, the ignition system is fine stock.
You can run the MSD 6010 box with your stock computer they sell a harness that hooks in between it and your engine.