Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wasnt impressed with the fitment of the qtp headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wasnt impressed with the fitment of the qtp headers

So me and a buddy are working on a f body for a guy that is doing a cam and bolt-on's. The guy with the car ordered a set of new QTP headers which are supposedly redesigned due to fitment issues with the old style ones. Lets just say they must have redesigned the passanger side only witch took 15 mins haha. After spending 2 1/2 hours putting the drivers side header in with two of us I dont recommend ordering the headers to anyone considering them. Lets see we had the driver side motor mount unhooked with the motor lifted to create extra room. The head shield out that is on the floor of the car, the steering shaft out of the car and we still had to beat them to get them into the car. I guess if you had a aftermarket k member it might help but who wants to buy a aftermarket k member to do headers, still I have never seen a header fight so hard to get it in. We told the owner that if he needed to remove the header not to call us haha.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

A lot of people assume headers fit shitty when they dont replace the motor mounts too. I dont have qtp's but a long tube is a long tube, i know, some small differences but not too much. also...did you have the car lifted pretty high in the air? i used truck jack stands under my front, the passenger side slides in (i dropped the starter), and the drivers side had to go in at a 90 degree angle straight up, then rotate into position. also another trick is to remove the oil filter. I cant see why you had that much trouble with them.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I was having the same problem when I was trying to install mine. You have to unhook the driver motor mount at the engine (long bolt) like you did and support the engine up. Then remove the motor mount pedistal that bolts to the Sub frame, then its slides right in. I was fighting it for a while (pulling the steering shaft etc...) until I realized that I had to remove the pedistal.....
Old 02-03-2010, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zacht
A lot of people assume headers fit shitty when they dont replace the motor mounts too. I dont have qtp's but a long tube is a long tube, i know, some small differences but not too much. also...did you have the car lifted pretty high in the air? i used truck jack stands under my front, the passenger side slides in (i dropped the starter), and the drivers side had to go in at a 90 degree angle straight up, then rotate into position. also another trick is to remove the oil filter. I cant see why you had that much trouble with them.
Well it wasnt my first rodeo I have done headers on f bodys, gto's, vettes. And these were by far the biggest pain in the butt. With that being said I dont agree with all long tubes are the same I put a set of pacesetter headers on a f body without out a problem. All that was needed on the drivers side was to pull the steering shaft thats it. And yes the car was in the air on a car lift.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The QTP's are nice headers. I've got em. All I had to do was pull the driver side motor mount and tranny mount, then hook a ratchet strap to the tranny on the passenger side and hook it to the frame and pull it over and it goes right in. It's not that big of a deal

You have to realize that stainless cannot be bent in some ways that standard steel can be. therefor sometimes you get a tighter fit.

I have thousands of miles on my QTP's and their appearance will outlast any others
Old 02-03-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
The QTP's are nice headers. I've got em. All I had to do was pull the driver side motor mount and tranny mount, then hook a ratchet strap to the tranny on the passenger side and hook it to the frame and pull it over and it goes right in. It's not that big of a deal

You have to realize that stainless cannot be bent in some ways that standard steel can be. therefor sometimes you get a tighter fit.

I have thousands of miles on my QTP's and their appearance will outlast any others
Its not that big of a deal have you ever put a set of headers in before? It is when you dont have to do what you stated on any of the other ones. I have done plenty of sets and never had to disconnect the motor mount. I even had a old set of qtp's that fit better then these ones did. The whole point of them redoing them was to make them fit better well at least that is what I thought.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:29 PM
12 Second Club

And I thought the older SLPs were bad to install.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

2002camaroSS and I have been there with the old SLP's too, in matter fact I still have them on my car. They fit nice with an UMI K-member, but hang low. I think it is time for an upgrade!