Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing PS pulley

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 12:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i need a new puley on mine, but before i put the pulley on, i drilled 3/4 inch holes in the pulley to access the bolts should i ever need to take the PS pump off again.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by colby72olds
Now that I know it will more than likely break anyways, that's probably what I'll do. I'm going to keep PS but I'll just press a new pulley on.
well, if your going to install a new pulley, might as well. and it gives u a reason to install a better aftermarket pulley
Old 02-11-2010, 12:34 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bww3588
i need a new puley on mine, but before i put the pulley on, i drilled 3/4 inch holes in the pulley to access the bolts should i ever need to take the PS pump off again.
why? did you at least try to remove the pulley?
Old 02-11-2010, 12:51 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by nemss1
why? did you at least try to remove the pulley?
Yea. And its a pain in the ***. That's why I drilled holes in the new one so I don't have to spend an hour getting the bolt that is behind the pulley off.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea. And its a pain in the ***. That's why I drilled holes in the new one so I don't have to spend an hour getting the bolt that is behind the pulley off.
New plan! That sounds pretty simple and effective. It sure won't hurt anything to try it this way, maybe it'll save me some time and money too. If anything goes wrong I'll just bust the hell out of the pulley and buy a new one.

Edit: Gah I forget to use my brain sometime. I highly doubt I'd be able to fit a drill and bit inbetween the pulley and radiator.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

(SOMbitch):It's good to know that the pulley can be removed without removing the bolt. I was a little eerie while trying to keep the pulley from spinning, I actually broke off a piece of it...plastic POS.
I'm going to have to redo this very soon. All I was able to do was clean the underside of reservoir and lines real good and wait for it to leak some more so I can track the leak. I guess I'll just plan on buying a new pulley when the time comes. How much did you pay for a new one?

Also, did you fix a PS leak...what all did you replace if so?
$60 from Turn One for an aluminum billet pulley. Not cheap but a very nice piece. Yeah I busted the the $h!t outta of the stock plastic POS

Mine didn't leak but a bearing was bad in the pump and you could see the shaft and pulley moving in and out.

It is royal PIA but you can get the pump off with the pulley on. I could barely fit my open end 13mm wrench between the pulley and the resevoir and get to all the bolts. I could prolly get 1/4 turn or less so it is time consuming. Once the bolts are out they are just about touching the back of the pulley. Then just undo the lines at the rack and pull it as a unit. The resevoir is held on to the pump by two clips. You will see what I mean. It will be an easy job with the Turn One pulley. All the genI stuff I used to work on had three round access holes cast into the METAL pulley. BTW the pump was only $60 from Advance after I turned in my $30 core..

Hope you get your leak figured out

Here is a link to the pulley http://www.turnone-steering.com/pulley.html
Old 02-11-2010, 02:07 PM
12 Second Club

New plan! That sounds pretty simple and effective. It sure won't hurt anything to try it this way, maybe it'll save me some time and money too. If anything goes wrong I'll just bust the hell out of the pulley and buy a new one.

Edit: Gah I forget to use my brain sometime. I highly doubt I'd be able to fit a drill and bit inbetween the pulley and radiator.
well, i guess it saves weight.....a few ounces
Old 02-11-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks SOMbitch. I'm about to go in the garage and try to get it off without taking the pulley off. It's my DD so I'm trying to not have any down time and don't really need to break the pulley until I get a new one.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the new pulleys are plastic. You need a Snap ON tool to do the job correctly. The install tool has a torrington bearing that makes instillation a SNAP(No Pun) Its always best to have the correct tools for the job. Those pulleys are available at the auto store. ASK ME HOW I KNOW. I DROPPED ONE WHILE CNANGING ONE AND THE THING CRACKD. Hope this helps Tom
Old 02-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is what i do but you really need to drill 2 holes 180* apart to keep the pully balanced to some extent
Old 02-12-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks SOMbitch. I'm about to go in the garage and try to get it off without taking the pulley off. It's my DD so I'm trying to not have any down time and don't really need to break the pulley until I get a new one.

Hope you got it. The bottom bolt was the hardest for me..
Old 02-12-2010, 02:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by tom falco
That is what i do but you really need to drill 2 holes 180* apart to keep the pully balanced to some extent
i just made 3 holes with a circle. i used a compass and triangulated the points. then used a center punch to start the holes.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:29 PM
12 Second Club

yea, it would be a bitch, but on a lighter note, if you remove the air box and lid, the plastic core support comes out with 4 bolts, then just remove the hoses from the radiator and slide it out. takes me about 15 minutes to remove my radiator after some practice. of course once you do that, while the cooling system is open, that would give you an opportunity to change the coolant and stuff.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just did my girlfriends grand prix a few months ago, and thank god they already put holes in the pulley so that you can get to the bolts, cause there was no way in hell it was comming off with the puller, while the pump was still mounted. I got cheap and even tried to beat the pump off of the pulley with a hammer and a punch after i had the old pump off, and it still wouldnt come. So i went to autozone, rented the tools, and had the stupid thing off in 2 minutes. Definatly pressed on very hard. Had to use the same tool to put it back on. And be careful, you have to make sure you put it back on with the same clearance on the back as it had before, or else the pulley will rub the resevior, and you're belt wont align