Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to make your own 170 thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
From everything I read on this its not that colder is better and hot is worse or visa versa. It has to run what the engine was designed to operate at. And generally the factory heat range is where an engine operates most efficiently. This is why if you drive a bunch of short trips MPGs will be lower then if you did a single trip, b/c engines cant operate at maximum efficiently until at the proper operating temperature.
Although it does seem like you know why you went with a lower temp, and it did solve some of the issues. I would highly discourage someone from just going to too low of a T stat without understanding what it actually does, like you mentioned.
really couldn't have said it better myself. although the jury is still out reguarding the factory temp setting on the stat, on most cars (especially DD's) the manufacturer know's best. if the stocker is a 195*, 170* is a huge step. if it is a 186* like the replacements where i work say, 170 is not as much of a jump, but still makes a difference. honestly i think the fan settings are where it's at. prolly the best advice is for people on the fence, or in doubt, contact your tuner. they'll know what your setup and their program works best with.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you use some freakin punctuation and sentence structure please? Maybe line breaks if you're feeling ballsy.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

^^^ yes teacher
Old 03-10-2011, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lolz!

Quick Reply: How to make your own 170 thermostat