Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBK or Ebay headers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BBK or Ebay headers?

I don't have alot of money to spend on an expensive LT and Y pipe set. I used to have BBK LTs on my old Mustang and they were great quality back then. I didn't know BBK made LTs for LS1s til the other day haha! I am torn do I buy BBK LTs that come with a y pipe? Or Get some Ebay I have heard that alot of Ebay headers are actually pretty good but I can only find LTs for em what Y pipe would I use for em? Also I like that the BBKs are a ball and flange connection I think slip fit sucks IMO. Who here has BBK or Ebay headers if you can shed some light and lemme know what's good and bad about each.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check the classifieds here. You can find some good deals on LT's, i got my jet-hot pacesetters for 300 shipped. Theres a lot of info on EBAY headers too just search around.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:23 PM
Banned

just installed my bbk LT's and ory that i got from byunspeed and the fitment isnt the best but me and my buddy got em in and ran out of daylight but i should have everything done tomorrow just got to finish mounting the Y pipe....but it seems like there will be no ground clearance issues at all seeing as how my cars damn near slammed. for the money i think their well worth it
Old 02-15-2010, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought about getting the BBK's, but didn't need a Y-pipe. So, I went for the cheaper Ebay headers, especially since they're stainless. The shop said there were no fitment issues and I don't have any problems with ground clearance.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think the BBK are a good buy when you don't have alot of MONEY to spend. Just my .02
Old 02-15-2010, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

My Ebay OBX headers showed up today.......... This is the OBX package that includes headers, resonators, and a Y

Negatives I see so far

-The Y is 2 3/4" instead of the usual 3. However, it may work out to be a wash because there is no crushed section in it to make ground clearance.

-There is no "merge spike" in the collectors

Positives I see so far

- Great welds

- All extremely well polished

I caught a great auction and for $200 I got stainless headers and a Y, of seemingly great quality....... am I happy? You're damned right I am.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stevez2885
just installed my bbk LT's and ory that i got from byunspeed and the fitment isnt the best but me and my buddy got em in and ran out of daylight but i should have everything done tomorrow just got to finish mounting the Y pipe....but it seems like there will be no ground clearance issues at all seeing as how my cars damn near slammed. for the money i think their well worth it
Because they are ball and flange does the opening to the collector on the LTs shrink down smaller than 3 in. when it meets the y-pipe flange? Also did you have to re-route the crank position sensor wire, and oil leve sensor wire on the passenger side or wrap them? My SLP LTs were a bitch to install plus those wires rested on the primaries so I have to re route them and it was very annoying.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:06 PM
Banned

i dont have wires touching the headers on my passenger side that ive noticed yet...ill double check and let u know tomorrow though if i remember
Old 02-16-2010, 03:33 AM
Teching In

I'm kinda new to the hole header thing but I just got my headers from lsxtreme performance parts on eBay they are new but I gotta say they are way better than the eBay headers that I had on my 99 SS and these are racing headers with no emissions. Got them on sale for 250. I looked at the bbk but they are not stainless so I went with these and I got to dump my agr and air too which I still have to do lol
Old 02-16-2010, 09:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Buy the BBK....
Old 02-16-2010, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

I have BBK's, me and my friends installed them and the only problems we had were getting the damn car up in the air high enough. No clearance issues with the y pipe at all, and just for your info. The y-pipe is 2.5" and at the merger it turns to 3". Ive had them on for a year now with no problems.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:19 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Badguy7
I have BBK's, me and my friends installed them and the only problems we had were getting the damn car up in the air high enough. No clearance issues with the y pipe at all, and just for your info. The y-pipe is 2.5" and at the merger it turns to 3". Ive had them on for a year now with no problems.
I was just going to mention they are a 2.5 in. but isnt dual 3 in. overkill anyway unless you are a big block. I know guys who have 600+ hp 03 Cobras and they run their standard dual 2.5 inch all day with no issues. You would think it being a dual 2.5 into a 3 it would gain more velocity and be less raspy.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Not much experience w/ the BBk headers...didnt they come out like last year...Good looking headers but imo a little late to the party.....
Old 02-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Banned

my BBk y pipe fit perfect......excellent fitment besides getting a few header bolts in...to me definately worth the money
Old 02-18-2010, 05:41 AM
Teching In

My buddy has a set of BBk and the chrome was chipping off on the bottom of the headers and the were rusting. I don't understand why some header manufacturers use regular carbon steel instead of stainless, and the ones that douse stainless charge you your first born for them. I say chroming carbon steel is like putting a band-aid on cancer... it will rust eventually.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxBlown
My buddy has a set of BBk and the chrome was chipping off on the bottom of the headers and the were rusting. I don't understand why some header manufacturers use regular carbon steel instead of stainless, and the ones that douse stainless charge you your first born for them. I say chroming carbon steel is like putting a band-aid on cancer... it will rust eventually.
Take a business class, its called keeping manufacturing costs down.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It all depends on how you drive the car. If you live in a snowy climate and u consistantly drive the car on the street forget ceramic or chrome because they will chip and rust eventually. Stainless is the only way to go if you store your car during winter or it doesnt snow by you either chrome or cermaic will be fine. Look at it this way chrome has been used for everything from intakes to harley exhausts whats so bad about it on headers? Just like chrome if not properly cared for or in a bad environment ceramic coating will start to rust too.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
Take a business class, its called keeping manufacturing costs down.
Take a metals class, its called your a jack-***. All I'm saying is stainless is not that much more expensive. How I know? I own a freaking stainless fabrication shop well actually 3 of them. (guess that cuts the business class for me LMFAO) But I don't know that much about headers but whats to know. Good metal means good product and stainless is the best. I wonder why Kooks uses it. I'm not cracking on all the header companies, just saying why not stainless. Jeeezz LOL
Old 02-18-2010, 12:19 PM
Teching In

sorry to the thread starter. Get the stainless and if you are worried about heat, Wrap them. Stainless headers from any manufacturer will out live the car.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

I like the BBK design though... but I like that the Ebay are Stainless.

The BBK Y-pipe is only 2.5 inch though??? I mean I know Mustangs that are over 600hp who run 2.5 inch exhaust but they are a true dual setup.

Would it hurt to run the BBKs because of the 2.5 inch y pipe. I mean regardless if it was a 3 inch y-pipe it would all choke down when it gets to the catback right? and wouldn't a 2.5 inch y-pipe create more velocity in the exhaust, and make it less raspy???

Quick Reply: BBK or Ebay headers?