Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBK or Ebay headers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What people dont know about the Egay headers is that they say they are 1 3/4 primaries and a 3" collector, but you can clearly see in the pictures above that the primaries are an 1/8" smaller than 1 3/4". Same goes for the collector. ITs like the OD of the primaries is 1 3/4" and the OD of the collector is 3". All headers like pacesetter/qtp/ARH are all 1 3/4" inner diameter primaries......
Old 02-18-2010, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mart00SS
What people dont know about the Egay headers is that they say they are 1 3/4 primaries and a 3" collector, but you can clearly see in the pictures above that the primaries are an 1/8" smaller than 1 3/4". Same goes for the collector. ITs like the OD of the primaries is 1 3/4" and the OD of the collector is 3". All headers like pacesetter/qtp/ARH are all 1 3/4" inner diameter primaries......
HUH, funny, I took those measurements and it sure looks like a hair less than 1/16 to me, but I won't argue about it with you, that's why I posted the pics so that people could make their own call.

As to the second half of of your statment........... you struck on something I'm awefully crious about. "All"? Can you back that statement up even a little bit? How many brands of header have you owned and how many did you take the time to precisely measure? Post up some pics for us like I did! Thanks!
Old 02-19-2010, 12:59 AM
Teching In

I don't know of any headers that are built with pipe. I thought that all exhaust was built using tube. if you have 3 inch pipe the ID will be 3 inch and if you have 3 inch tube the OD will be 3 inch. Pipe is very expensive and is usually seamless meaning it is not built by rolling and welding to make a tube. I work with this stuff every day and a foot of stainless 3 inch .065 wall tube is about $7.50 and a foot of pipe is about $12.00 That is what a business pays. I have never heard of a exhaust company using pipe, but I'm not saying that there isn't. Think of it this way if your header collectors were 3 inch ID it would be about 3/32 over 3 inch on the outside and your y-pipe wouldn't slip over the collector as y-pipes are 3 inch OD and are expanded at the ends to just over 3 inch ID.

Anyways ebay headers are not junk, I will agree that the cheep china headers are junk cause of crappy welds But OBX and Lsxtreme performance parts headers are not. Both of these guys OBX and LsXtreme have awesome welds and come with warranties. How can you call something that is made out of such good metal junk. Ive been a welder/fabricator for 20 years and when I got my headers from Lsxtreme I was blown away buy the craftsmanship and the solidness of the headers and big *** flanges and I'm sure OBX is the same. Look at the crappy MIG welds on the painted ones out there. Stainless headers have to be 100% TIG (GTAW) welded. I just think OBX and Lsxtreme are starting to kick some sense into people. Just my .02
Old 02-19-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

Ebay headers here and love them. No banging no notching and Headers, lid only dyno number is my sig.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ds98formula
Ebay headers here and love them. No banging no notching and Headers, lid only dyno number is my sig.
I just ordered coated Pacesetters with TSP Y-pipe Pacesetters just seem to perform too well and have too good of fitment alot of people like em and like how they perform so that sold me on them.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Traitor LS1
I just ordered coated Pacesetters with TSP Y-pipe Pacesetters just seem to perform too well and have too good of fitment alot of people like em and like how they perform so that sold me on them.
Glad you could make a choice you feel comfortable with Traitor.

Do you think you could take some pics similar to mine and post them up when you get them? I'm genuinely curious about how the "name brand" headers compare.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Wheels_78
Glad you could make a choice you feel comfortable with Traitor.

Do you think you could take some pics similar to mine and post them up when you get them? I'm genuinely curious about how the "name brand" headers compare.
Yeah dude no problem
Old 02-20-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

HUH, funny, I took those measurements and it sure looks like a hair less than 1/16 to me, but I won't argue about it with you, that's why I posted the pics so that people could make their own call.

As to the second half of of your statment........... you struck on something I'm awefully crious about. "All"? Can you back that statement up even a little bit? How many brands of header have you owned and how many did you take the time to precisely measure? Post up some pics for us like I did! Thanks!
I've done my fair share of header installs. Maybe I shouldnt have said All but way to catch me on that.

I've seen so many threads about these e-bay headers. I tried to do a search but there are so many I cant find the thread I was looking for that showed how much smaller the ID's were on the primaries and the collector of both ebay and another brand such as QTP. The thread is probably a year or so old though so maybe they were worse and have corrected the problem as of recently. When it comes down to it, as long as you are happy thats all that matters.

I'm sure there will be about 10 more ebay headers threads this week with similar claims and controversy .
Old 02-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Launching!

go with bbk. i love mine... fitment was great, with good ground clearance..
+ 1 for bbk!!
Old 02-20-2010, 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mart00SS
I've done my fair share of header installs. Maybe I shouldnt have said All but way to catch me on that.

I've seen so many threads about these e-bay headers. I tried to do a search but there are so many I cant find the thread I was looking for that showed how much smaller the ID's were on the primaries and the collector of both ebay and another brand such as QTP. The thread is probably a year or so old though so maybe they were worse and have corrected the problem as of recently. When it comes down to it, as long as you are happy thats all that matters.

I'm sure there will be about 10 more ebay headers threads this week with similar claims and controversy .
I'm sure you're right........... what I can't understand is why people who've never seen a set of these headers first hand make posts claiming they're garbage.

I've got a set sitting in my living room.... they are 1.75" outer diameter primarys, 3" outer diameter collectors, 2.5" outer diameter Y-pipes, and a 2.75" outer diameter pipe from where the Y-pipes join to where your cat-back begins. Those are facts not opinions.

Other brands may be larger, I cannot say, I haven't seen them first hand. If someone reading this thread happens to have an uninstalled set of "name brand" headers sitting around I'd love to know.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sure you're right........... what I can't understand is why people who've never seen a set of these headers first hand make posts claiming they're garbage.

I've got a set sitting in my living room.... they are 1.75" outer diameter primarys, 3" outer diameter collectors, 2.5" outer diameter Y-pipes, and a 2.75" outer diameter pipe from where the Y-pipes join to where your cat-back begins. Those are facts not opinions.

Other brands may be larger, I cannot say, I haven't seen them first hand. If someone reading this thread happens to have an uninstalled set of "name brand" headers sitting around I'd love to know.
I am also curious...are Pacesetter/BBK/other name brands 1.75" inner diameter primarys and 3" inner diameter collectors? Sounds like the Ebay headers are not gonna flow as well if this is the case.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did my install on my car with the BBK headers, and the fitment was great. The install went in with out notching anything.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Just to back up the ebay headers, i went 10.20 N/A with ebay headers
Old 03-29-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here guys... my car was used to prototype the BBK headers.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cs-inside.html
Old 03-29-2010, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

or you can buy hookers from us for 290.00 painted or 390.00 ceramic coated with free shipping.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to recommend getting stainless headers. I got my pacesetters back in '06, ceramic coated, and they're pretty rusty. Infact, I'm thinking they might be leaking up there. I doubt they'll last another 4 years ...wouldn't have this problem if I had gotten stainless...
Old 03-30-2010, 02:14 PM
12 Second Club

Well, i cheaped out and bought the egay headers. They flange fitment is great. The pacesetter ORY I got banged a wee bit but that was it. I changed my mounts to poly to get rid of it plus the old ones has the passenger side smushed flat. It moved the drivers side extremely close to the bottom of the car and k-member. If you have custom exhaust and clearance the k-member I would have no issue with them. Ive took them off twice after about a year and salt/ice etc driving. Perfect condition. 189 shipped to my door.

Ill probably end up getting kooks or LPP then selling them and the ory.

If you plan on never selling the car and wanting them to fit/last forever go kooks/lpp/ etc. but if you want to get rid of manifold and are willing to deal with grinding the k-member and dealing with the ory issue go for it!

Quick Reply: BBK or Ebay headers?