Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curious about o2 sims

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 07:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Curious about o2 sims

I know the o2 sims will cure SES lights but I already have an SES light for AIR and EGR. Im trying to decide if o2 sims would be worth it or if its just a on/off switch for SES

I have a stock car and I removed the cats, the car obviously isnt running properly now (little hesitation, bogging, not as sharp/fast).

do the o2 sims ONLY keep the SES light away?

or do the o2 sims tell the computer that everything is normal and keep it from running out of whack?
Old 03-05-2010, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rear o2's don't have anything to do with how the car will run. If the car is acting up it is something else. However the sims will keep the SES from coming on. I guess in theory they "read" an optimal rear o2 reading.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Breathing Fire
The rear o2's don't have anything to do with how the car will run. If the car is acting up it is something else. However the sims will keep the SES from coming on. I guess in theory they "read" an optimal rear o2 reading.
so I wouldnt have anything to gain other than the light going away? I have to get the EGR and AIR tuned out anyways, I wont spend any money on o2 sims if it wouldnt do me any other good
Old 03-05-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh no if you are having the air and egr tuned out it shouldn't cost any more to have the rear o2 codes deleted while they are at it that's what I would think. Ya don't get the sims.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Breathing Fire
Oh no if you are having the air and egr tuned out it shouldn't cost any more to have the rear o2 codes deleted while they are at it that's what I would think. Ya don't get the sims.
cool man thanks for the quick responses
Old 03-05-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Regular

yeah just get everything tuned out whenever you have the car tuned, no sense in wasting money on o2 sims because it won't do anything for your egr/air codes so the light will still be on anyway... as far as it running funny, are there any other codes being thrown besides egr/air/rear o2's?
Old 03-05-2010, 08:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by neutron82
yeah just get everything tuned out whenever you have the car tuned, no sense in wasting money on o2 sims because it won't do anything for your egr/air codes so the light will still be on anyway... as far as it running funny, are there any other codes being thrown besides egr/air/rear o2's?
Well when I got the car it had SES for AIR and EGR, so its safe to say I havent had them checked in the 2.5 years ive owned it. The more I think about it the more ridiculous it is I need to get that done.

But as far as I know yes, those are the only codes. It was running fine before the cat removal, atleast good enough to barely get me a 12 haha
Old 03-05-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by buddha845
Well when I got the car it had SES for AIR and EGR, so its safe to say I havent had them checked in the 2.5 years ive owned it. The more I think about it the more ridiculous it is I need to get that done.

But as far as I know yes, those are the only codes. It was running fine before the cat removal, atleast good enough to barely get me a 12 haha
wow... yeah it's definitely way past due to get that stuff checked out and fixed
Old 03-07-2010, 02:34 PM
TECH Resident

so far no one has given you the correct information, 02 sims tell the computer that the cats are working, basically the front 02s tell the computer the a/f ratio after being burnt up, then the rear 02s tell the computer what toxins are still in the exhaust... all 4 02s and the MAF are in a loop to optimize the a/f ratio

02 sims will make the car run good again, but as stated you need to get the other codes tuned out anyway so while your at it you can get the rear 02s fixed
Old 03-07-2010, 02:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by greatskiiiier
so far no one has given you the correct information, 02 sims tell the computer that the cats are working, basically the front 02s tell the computer the a/f ratio after being burnt up, then the rear 02s tell the computer what toxins are still in the exhaust... all 4 02s and the MAF are in a loop to optimize the a/f ratio

02 sims will make the car run good again, but as stated you need to get the other codes tuned out anyway so while your at it you can get the rear 02s fixed
none of the codes he stated will affect how well the car runs, they will only set the ses light on... now if he has codes for front o2's then yeah that will definitely affect how well it runs... but o2 sims will do nothing except make the codes go away for the rear o2's and he will still be left with an ses light for air/egr and any other codes he has... they are a waste of money in my opinion
Old 03-07-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

he "thinks" he only has egr and air codes, but if he removed the cats, then the rear 02s will be throwing codes as well... something to the tune of "bank 2 sensor 1" or something like that

he def has more than just 2 codes
Old 03-07-2010, 05:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by greatskiiiier
he def has more than just 2 codes
AIR, EGR and rear o2 codes are for sure. going to confirm tomorrow morning when I figure out which auto parts store reads codes for free.

thanks for the input so far guys
Old 03-07-2010, 05:43 PM
TECH Regular

yes he is aware that he has rear o2 codes but what i'm saying is that this will not affect the way the car runs... as you said, the rear o2's only purpose is to verify that the cats are working properly
Old 03-07-2010, 11:05 PM
Teching In

you know you can buy a scanner for like $40 and never have to go anywhere for code readings again right? Real useful.