Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinkin about changing my exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thinkin about changing my exhaust

I have a flowmaster catback on right now and I'm starting to think it's too quiet. I've read that SLP loudmouth is one of the loudest and I wanna know if it would be good for me. I want a louder sound without any crackling. My flowmaster sounds good, it's just not loud enough for me. I don't plan on ever doing headers or anything, just the stock y-pipe and the SLP lid.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Borla Cat back and e-cutout for sale. You can be loud or quiet with a flip of the switch. PM if interested. I am just right down the road from you in Tulsa. could meet you half way or something to save on some shipping.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

I don't have money for exhaust right now. it would be something I do over the summer.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Launching!

I had the LM1 on stock manifolds and cats, sounded pretty good IMO. I recently did long tubes and ORY and it sounds like total **** IMO. I don't mind the fact that its loud, it seems quieter than my z06 on the inside, but if you give it any more than 1/4 throttle it crackles so bad. Sounds just like all these trucks running around here with straight pipes. Everytime I drive it I drive slow so it doesn't sound like complete poop. I really wish I would have went with a magnaflow catback to begin with.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You dont want any crackling or anything, than the loudmouth is not for you.

www.ls1sounds.com

Just in case you didnt know, unless your catback is rusted out all you need to do is buy a muffler and have it swapped in, not the whole catback. Call around and get some quotes for doing something like that.

I have a FM C/B, its plenty loud lol.

Wanna make it louder and quicker with one mod? Get a stall, haha.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

My step-dad has LM2 on his '97 SS and it sounds good. It's nice and deep and throaty. It has stock manifolds and y. On the other hand, I have LT's, ORY, and LM2 and it is crackly and raspy under medium acceleration between 2,200-3,200 RPMs, but I'm swapping a Borla XR1 muffler in place of the LM muffler to make it a Borlamouth. LM systems sound really good w/ stock manifolds, but w/ headers they get real raspy. I think you'd be perfectly fine going w/ a LM system if you aren't doing headers down the road.

You could also get a cut-out and have it bypass the muffler so it's real loud. Lol.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I love my LM1 ...I'm catted and it still very loud. I wouldn't recommend it if your running a ory.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

No, I don't ever plan on doing headers or anything, and it's the stock y-pipe with a flowmaster catback on it (I guess it's not technically a stock y-pipe since it has flowmaster piping). I just want something louder. I've checked out a lot of cars on ls1sounds, and there are some LM's that sound really good and don't sound raspy at all. Also, if I switched to a different muffler/catback combo, would the flowmaster piping I already have be fine, or does the piping make a difference?

EDIT: Just reread TooLate's post. I can keep my flowmaster catbacks and just replace the muffler with a LM and it would sound the same as a SLP catback and muffler?

Last edited by Northside405; 03-08-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Lm1 is one of the best sounding exhausts with manifolds....id get the whole catback. U can find em for high 300's. Sell your blowmaster to offset the cost
Old 03-08-2010, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

I'm clearly new to all this haha. $300 for just the catbacks, or does that come with the muffler? Right now I'm not entirely sure if I even have a flowmaster muffler. I got the car with it all on. I know I have cats and the piping. The muffler didn't say flowmaster anywhere from what I can remember.

Basically, this is what I need to know:
1. If I were to go with SLP LM, do I need new piping or can I keep the flowmaster piping?
2. Do I need just the cats, or both the cats and the muffler?
3. Would it sound pretty much the same if I just used the muffler and kept the flowmaster cats?

For the record, I am not going to go catless. I don't ever plan on doing headers or an ORY or true duals. I'm just going to be putting on the SLP lid relatively soon also. You all are being very helpful and very patient with me and I really appreciate it!
Old 03-08-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Northside405
I'm clearly new to all this haha. $300 for just the catbacks, or does that come with the muffler? Right now I'm not entirely sure if I even have a flowmaster muffler. I got the car with it all on. I know I have cats and the piping. The muffler didn't say flowmaster anywhere from what I can remember.

Basically, this is what I need to know:
1. If I were to go with SLP LM, do I need new piping or can I keep the flowmaster piping?
2. Do I need just the cats, or both the cats and the muffler?
3. Would it sound pretty much the same if I just used the muffler and kept the flowmaster cats?

For the record, I am not going to go catless. I don't ever plan on doing headers or an ORY or true duals. I'm just going to be putting on the SLP lid relatively soon also. You all are being very helpful and very patient with me and I really appreciate it!
If you buy a catback, it comes w/ the piping, muffler, tips, and clamps to bolt it on. You clamp it on on the y pipe AFTER the cats (hence catback).

You'll need to get the whole LM catback because it has a different design then any of the other catbacks for out cars. The muffler is also completely different than any other catback.

The car probably has the stock cats, it doesn't have flowmaster cats, therefore your whole system is stock until after the cat, then it's the flowmaster piping and muffler.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Ok. Looking at the SLP site and under the exhaust systems, I would want to buy the kit that is about $400? SLP LM exhaust system for f-car with tip right? If I'm looking in the wrong spot, feel free to redirect me. I definitely need the help!
Old 03-08-2010, 06:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Its called a catback because its everything from the cats and behind....I would look for a used system...I picked up my LM1 w/ a few k miles on it for 150.00...i see them going for that around here regularly...alot of guys switch the LM1 out when they go headers and ory.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Ok. Looking at the SLP site and under the exhaust systems, I would want to buy the kit that is about $400? SLP LM exhaust system for f-car with tip right? If I'm looking in the wrong spot, feel free to redirect me. I definitely need the help!
Oddly enough buy it from anybody but SLP...(marylandspeed, LM,etc.). They always seem to sell there products for more then there vendors lol, i know dont ask . You can definately find it for 385 somewhere.

http://marylandspeed.com/slp-modular...042-p-139.html

Last edited by MonmouthCtyLS7; 03-08-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

Ok, thanks! But that is what I am looking for correct? I need the piping, muffler(s), and that's it? Would I be able to use the tips I already have?
Old 03-08-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Ok, thanks! But that is what I am looking for correct? I need the piping, muffler(s), and that's it? Would I be able to use the tips I already have?
Problem is the Loudmouth resonator sits in a different spot then your regular catback setup....atleast on my car it does....looks like your trying to save a buck which is fine just grab a different muffler. Just remember that its 1 into 1 on a resonator(meaning one pipe going in and one going out.)
Old 03-08-2010, 07:26 PM
TECH Junkie

yea the tips should be the same dimensions
Old 03-08-2010, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Ok, thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it!
Old 03-08-2010, 07:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Your best bet is the slp powerflo
Old 03-08-2010, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.speedinc.com/cont.cfm?cid=C0000035 Free shipping on items over $100

Or you could go LM2 which is quieter than LM1. Detoxx mentioned the powerflow, which you could do, but if you have a Camaro the two mufflers in the back would probably show and look kinda ricerish, but if you could go that route too. It would be quieter and would would eliminate rasp if you DID ever decide to do headers.

If you have a LT1 car, you will need an adapter to make the LM system fit.